Sponsored by:

Reflections and ? about 1st Club Race in GTC3 at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflections and ? about 1st Club Race in GTC3 at VIR

Well I just completed my rookie school and first races this past weekend at VIR. IT WAS A BLAST I just wanted to post a few thoughts and memories about the weekend and ask for some feedback if any fellow drivers have any. For reference I was #81, a 1999 cup that I believe was the oldest in the field with no updates and I believe the ONLY rookie in GTC3.

1. Even though I was told that because I had a current log book with a 2008 annual inspection since it was my first race I took the car through tech anyway.
2. I was SO NERVOUS on the first practice session but it was a good type of nervousness if you know what I mean.
3. I began to feel a little more comfortable with each successive practice session and noted that just like the stewards mentioned in the rookie meeting, with all that was going on, I just seemed to not concentrate on driving the lines and things flowed so much better. By the 3rd practice session I had bettered my personal best times and was having a great time.
4. Then came the practice starts My degree of nervousness then increased 100 fold. Like all said, I could not hear much of anything, I was not good at anticipating the starts very well, cars accelerate much quicker when they are all bunched together it seems and things happen QUICKLY.

Some rookie mistakes:
1. During the practice sessions I passed a truck on the track and got way too far out into the marbles and when around the equipment and green again the car just would not turn for several corners and it was not fun for me or the others behind me I am sure.
2. During the fun race after the 3rd practice start I got a good jump out of Oak Tree and had a drag race down to Roller Coaster on the back straight with a 997 cup. He went to the outside and I kept my line on the inside. I thought he might give but I assumed wrong. He kept a great line on the outside and I pinched the car to stay to the left on that bend carrying too much speed and started to loose the rear to the right. Tried to correct and drive it off to the left to stay out of the way but the car got away from me on the grass, around to the left and across the track backwards in front of a bunch of people. When it was straight,heading off track to the right and I did not see anyone heading for me out my left side, I let off the brakes to try and roll off track right as soon as possible. To everyone I apologize for being too greedy in that turn. The 997 was obviously faster and I should have let him go. To all, thank you for your great driving to avoid me and allow my weekend to continue.
3. During the 1st sprint on the start I went from the outside to the middle and was three wide going into T1. Unfortunately Musante's car lost power and was slowing to a stop and people were making evasive maneuvers. When I suddenly was faced with his car DIRECTLY in front I had a millisecond it seemed to decide left or right. It seemed cars were everywhere and there was no good out. Remembering what they said in the rookie meeting to "stay predictable" I just held course like a stupid rookie would and SHOULD at this point and let the whole field go and then took up the chase.

One Funny thing:

As I mentioned I have a 99 cup with no updates. Also as I indicated earlier, I had taken the car through tech. After the second practice on Friday they pointed me into the black flag station. I was thinking to myself "what did I do wrong?" The scrutineer said they were checking my wing. I thought he meant a problem with it. It turns out that he said he did not know if I had a legal wing. Being it is a 99, the car has the "baby wing" that was standard on that year model. He said my car "stuck out like a sore thumb" and that he wondered if it was legal. I just pleaded that "it may not be big but it is mine and I promise it is legal." don't go there!!!!!!!!! I promised to come talk to them about it later but he said "don't worry, you probably know more than I do about it."

Overall I had a GREAT time and I was very happy with how I did in relation to running with you guys. However, I would welcome any criticism from my fellow racers if you noted anything I did that would be considered stupid, dangerous or just down right wrong.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should've taken MORE PICTURES - if you know what I mean!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Congrats, Chris!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
You should've taken MORE PICTURES - if you know what I mean!
Believe me - I KNOW! My bud BKS was there and one of the guys helping me with the car had his fiance there - Super Hot!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Congrats, Chris!
Thanks VR

Last edited by Chris L.; 08-10-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Chris, great to see you again as always. I have already burned your in-car video and will drop in the mail tomorrow.

My only criticism is that you need to let everybody know how that rookie did!!!!! For being your first race and in a large GTC3 field, to place 5th in a class of 18 cars is PHENOMENAL, especially when everybody else has experience AND newer cars. Nothing you could do about that first sprint. But watching you carve up the field in the second sprint was a thing of beauty.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Very cool Chris! Congrats! I remember my first race like it was yesterday. Did the same rookie mistakes, it takes some time to get off the DE world and get comfortable with all these cars inches around you, but boy is it fun! Funny scrut story too! LOL
Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

No video and no pics? Unforgiveable!!

Congrats on surviving your first race Chris!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Chris, great to see you again as always. I have already burned your in-car video and will drop in the mail tomorrow.

My only criticism is that you need to let everybody know how that rookie did!!!!! For being you first race and in a large GTC3 field, to place 5th in a class of 18 cars is PHENOMENAL, especially when everybody else has experience AND newer cars. Nothing you could do about that first sprint. But watching you carve up the field in the second sprint was a thing of beauty.
I appreciate the comments friend, really I do, but:

1. Like you said I am a ROOKIE and even though I was happy with my performance, at this point I am more interested in what the seasoned racers thought about how I interacted with them on the track.
2. Some fields much larger than this one. In reality, only 12 cars in my class in the 2nd sprint race and three of them had DNFs.

So as you can see, though I profoundly appreciate your support you have certainly aggrandized my accomplishments.

But, thanks.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

ONLY 9 cars in your class AFTER DNF's? I had 16 in D in the biggest race in the NE, EIGHT at Limerock!! Be happy you have enough to make a podium mean anything!

Oh, and keep that X on there, it really does freak people out.. LOL
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No video and no pics? Unforgiveable!!

Congrats on surviving your first race Chris!
I will certainly try and post some pics. Would it help to post video to get some critique? I don't mind people telling me where I goofed I just don't want to waste anyone's time.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris L.
I appreciate the comments friend, really I do, but:

1. Like you said I am a ROOKIE and even though I was happy with my performance, at this point I am more interested in what the seasoned racers thought about how I interacted with them on the track.
2. Some fields much larger than this one. In reality, only 12 cars in my class in the 2nd sprint race and three of them had DNFs.

So as you can see, though I profoundly appreciate your support you have certainly aggrandized my accomplishments.

But, thanks.
I know, I know.....just proud of you man! I'll drop your in-car video in the mail tomorrow. See you at the next member weekend
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Believe me - I KNOW! My bud BKS was there and one of the guys helping me with the car had his fiance there - Super Hot!
Word on the street is that BKS might be planning a "fact finding" mission to an unnamed foreign country in the near future.

Chris...congratulations!!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
DanR
Drifting

congrats and well done, sure it takes bottle to go out for your first race!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I will certainly try and post some pics. Would it help to post video to get some critique? I don't mind people telling me where I goofed I just don't want to waste anyone's time.
Chris - put a video up, your humility precludes any idiotic comments.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I have his his in-car video (he was using my video setup) so I need to export it for hosting and get the link to him. Chris, I am working as fast as I can over here..........

Quick Reply: Reflections and ? about 1st Club Race in GTC3 at VIR