Sponsored by:

Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Didn't see any SPBOX at the Glen. Maybe at VIR this weekend? Maybe at Lightning or Summit Point later this year. I'm keeping watch, but I'm not seeing any.
Nobody in SPBOX at VIR this weekend. Having a blast right now with fantastic weather and great guys! 2 days down, 1 to go!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nobody in SPBOX at VIR this weekend. Having a blast right now with fantastic weather and great guys! 2 days down, 1 to go!
No Boxsters and 16 E cars. Easy decision!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
How are the times there Dell? What is H running and what is Kaemph in GT4S running?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

wait, my bad. the boxsters at the lrp and Glen weren't running spec boxster
Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
wait, my bad. the boxsters at the lrp and Glen weren't running spec boxster
No. We were in E and F class. The other cars that Rick is building are also meant for the stock classes. As far as I know, there isn't anybody running a spec boxster on the east coast. However, by next year, we should have about 8 boxsters running in the stock classes.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
How are the times there Dell? What is H running and what is Kaemph in GT4S running?
Larry, times were pretty good. Temps were in the mid-80's and track had a fair amount of grip (except T1-T3).

From what I remember, H was running high single digits for the top runners.

I don't have the times off hand as I forgot to grab the times sheets so I could post them up.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Mike I agree they're available and at $22k that's only $10k more than the average 2.5 Boxster donor. You have to change out the oil pan to remedy the starvation issue, but other than that I would imagine the build costs to be similar as long as the spec remains similar (PSS9's, etc).

I'm facinated by the differences between PCA based classes and the POC classes we run out here in So Cal. If a Spec 996 class is designed around the same spec as the Boxsters where would that fit in PCA and would they be competitive with other 3.4 996 cars already built for PCA racing?
The almost universal opinion seems to be that the 996 requires stiffer springs than PSS9's can handle (600/800 or 800/1000), so folks are gravitating towards more stout shock systems. Some experimenting is going on right now with Moton Clubsports and Cross Competitions as possible spec for shocks. I've put Cross in mine, a friend has the Motons, and we're going to compare the cars. Other than that, we're gravitating towards a spec that is fairly similar to SBOX. As a result, build prices are likely to be slightly higher than SBOX, but not outrageously so. It will be interesting too to see how the cars stand up to H-Stock. I'm a rookie racer, so I won't be able to answer that personally, but other more experienced folks will.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
...Some experimenting is going on right now with Moton Clubsports and Cross Competitions as possible spec for shocks. ... As a result, build prices are likely to be slightly higher than SBOX, but not outrageously so. ....
If you guys end up going with Motons, prices will be much higher than SPBOX, donor costs aside. From what I've been gleaning from the various threads on SPBOX and 996 spec builds plus knowing some of the folks that are going down both roads, it sounds like the 996 spec will end up about $15K total higher for a turn key car than SPBOX. Does that sound about right? Say $40-45K for 996 vs. $25-$30K for SPBOX?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

I hope that Motons are NOT part of the spec.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I agree. I think it's expensive over-kill. Cross may be the sweet spot. Have you talked to them about their recommended rate range? I don't think the PSS9(10) are going to be up to those spring rates either. We have them about maxed @ 450/500 in the Boxs.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the point of 'spec' is to keep costs down not to spec the cars out w/ f1 level of gear....
Old 08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The theme for spec996 is to force the drover to do more with less. Motons imho are idiotic for a spec class. Why not Penske's. sheesh.

Pick a good shock that can be properly valved to match the springs to be chosen... make sure there is a cost effective rebuild path available. Bilstein non adjustables seem to fit the bill, also happen to be what is on the GT3 as delivered which works in the 996 C2 chassis and are rebuildable/revalveable rather cheaply.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul 996
The theme for spec996 is to force the drover to do more with less. Motons imho are idiotic for a spec class. Why not Penske's. sheesh.

Pick a good shock that can be properly valved to match the springs to be chosen... make sure there is a cost effective rebuild path available. Bilstein non adjustables seem to fit the bill, also happen to be what is on the GT3 as delivered which works in the 996 C2 chassis and are rebuildable/revalveable rather cheaply.
Good point Paul. I ran the stock, non-adjustable Bilsteins on my cup the 3 years I had it & they worked just fine. Rebuilds are cheap/easy too.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
If you guys end up going with Motons, prices will be much higher than SPBOX, donor costs aside. From what I've been gleaning from the various threads on SPBOX and 996 spec builds plus knowing some of the folks that are going down both roads, it sounds like the 996 spec will end up about $15K total higher for a turn key car than SPBOX. Does that sound about right? Say $40-45K for 996 vs. $25-$30K for SPBOX?
First of all, we're not talking about Moton Motorsports, were talking Moton Clubsports, which will push the price higher, but not much higher (~$2400 more than the Cross). You're price estimate of $40k-$45k is about right on the 996 Spec. Much easier to attain with a less expensive shock, true. I can't speak on the the cost pf SPBOX

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Me too

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I agree. I think it's expensive over-kill. Cross may be the sweet spot. Have you talked to them about their recommended rate range? I don't think the PSS9(10) are going to be up to those spring rates either. We have them about maxed @ 450/500 in the Boxs.
Jay, I did talk with Cross about their recommended range. They offer three standard spring setups, the heaviest of which is the 600/800 lb that I chose to try. They say that their stock valving can handle up to 1000lbs. I like the idea of single adjustability, as it gives us something to work with in setup. Right now the Cross setup is the dark horse, I think because folks in the racing community don't have the same level of familiarity with the product. I've talked though with some racers who have used the Cross product with success, and if their experience can be repeated, the price/performance ratio is a winner imho.

Good to get everyone's feedback. Nothing is etched in stone right now.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a 250hp Steet stock 944 Turbo to a 150 hp 944 NA. Best thing I ever did at first it was painful to go that slow down the straights, but I just learned to never use the brakes as the secret to speed. Now about 8 years later I am still on that 150 hp NA. It never gets dull since I have great racing competition.

Quick Reply: Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car