Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arai Helmets - Quality/Comfort??

Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arai Helmets - Quality/Comfort??

I'm looking to upgrade to the Arai GP-5 helmet and was wondering if anyone out there has worn this helmet or the GP-4 and has any feedback. Also, before I make my order do they run small or large? I currently have a Bell helemt that is listed as a large but when I wear my balaclava it is really tight.

Also is there something better out there at 760 US? Primaliarly looking for lightness.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You really need to try on the helmets. Just as people have differently shaped heads, helmets and helmet brands have different shapes. You need to buy the helmet that fits your head the best and you can't do this through the internet or catalogs, you have to try them.

Chris
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried almost all of the brands: Simpson, Bell, OMP, Arai, RCi, etc. The Arai and the RCi were the most comfortable - they did not leave pressure marks anywhere on my face.

The only problem with the Arai, is that the interior fabrics do not wear well when used frequently if the helmet is tight (proper) fitment. I have a fairly large head, and have a Medium sized helmet, with no balaclava. It's a very tight getting it on, and my ears often get stuck, but when it's on, it's perfect. I suspect with a balaclava, it'd be easier to put on, and might not wear out as quickly, but I'd need a size larger...

If I'm still setting up autocross for my region next year, I'll buy an RCi that's a little easier to take on & off, and use it exclusively for autox, and I'll keep the Arai for SCCA racing until the date expires, and then I'll get another Arai in large to use with a balaclava. I'm not sure if the carbon kevlar is worth the extra $$$... with a neck doughnut and HANS, could anyone really tell the difference in 1-2 lbs?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 PM
smankow
Pro

David, I've used an Arai helmet since starting DE. I tried on several different Bell Helmets, along with a few others and the Medium were too small and the large too big. The Medium Arai fit perfectly.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

"Looking to upgrade..." means, I've tried and worn a few helmets in my time. I'm primarily interested in the experience of the comfort and quality. I'm not going into a performance shop and wearing a helmet for 2 hours to see if it's comfortable. (Maybe I should)

Rich thanks – I feel with a balaclava the Arai may wear better. I know with the Bell and Simpson, you can ruin the fabric with a poor shave and sweat and it doesn’t take very long for the interior to become tattered.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I've got the gp-5 with the wide eyeport and find it to be really comfortable- it's definitely fit towards narrow faces rather than round at least in my size. I wear a balaclava and haven't noticed any wear in 45 days of use so far.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an old GP-5 and a new one with the wider eye port and removable/changeable cheek pads. I like both better than the Bell I had previously.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have worn Arai helmets for 20 years and keep comming back. There is a new fabric for the GP5 which is more durable and they will replace the soft less durable stuff under warranty.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

I have an Arai GP-5 and love it.
It took plenty of legwork to find places to try on different helmets, but it really is the only way to find a good helmet. Every company has a different head shape mould and fit very differently. The only helmets that actually fit my head properly (snug everywhere with no pressure points) were Arais.

If you have an oblong/oval head shape it's probably the only helment that will fit, so don't waste too much time looking elsewhere. I tried a few from just about every major manufacturer.
Oval head = longer front-to-back than side-to-side

Small pressure point and discomfort while trying it one = major headache after a couple hours on the track

+1 on the fabric issue, I believe that's been resolved.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also have a GP5W and it's the best of all my helmets over 25 years (which is about 6-7 Simpsons, Bells and Bieffes).

Should the need arise, they have aero stick-ons (and yes you need them in anything open cockpit).

First helmet I've had with ventilation holes, which works really well with the Radical.

Predrilled for HANS anchors, too. Which probably everything is now; I've just not paid attention in the year and a half since I bought this one.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:02 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long do most of you keep your helmets? I'm also thinking of getting a GP5, and am trying to figure out how much this will cost per year of ownership and use ...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Don't get started in the cost issue...
You'll get the same answer every time: "How much is your head/brain/life worth?"

Get a good quality helmet that fits well. The $ issue only really comes into play if you want carbon kevlar to save weight.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,180 Posts

FWIW I tried on a few Arai helmets the other day, not one fit me (any size). The guy at the store said "Your head is too round for an Arai".
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Bell/Simpson/OMP/HJC - round head
Arai - oval head

Last edited by early_grayce; 07-25-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Ray
I'm looking to upgrade to the Arai GP-5 helmet and was wondering if anyone out there has worn this helmet or the GP-4 and has any feedback. Also, before I make my order do they run small or large? I currently have a Bell helemt that is listed as a large but when I wear my balaclava it is really tight.

Also is there something better out there at 760 US? Primaliarly looking for lightness.
Thanks
IMO the HJC Si-12 is a much nicer helmet for cheaper. Lighter and wider eyeport. But i suppose it all depends on what kind of head shape you have. Also i'm not sure how much Arai's Automotive helmets differ from there Moto helmets but i use an Arai Moto helmet with my R6 and its really loud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arai Helmets - Quality/Comfort??