Sponsored by:

Allview mirror vs wink

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Allview mirror vs wink

what are folks thoughts on Allview mirror compared to wink mirror?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the Allview better but it all comes down to personal preference. The wink mirrors are like $15 so try one out and keep it if you like it..
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

not trying to be an @ss, but there are many threads on this topic. My personal POV is that the wink is better because it doesn't distort as much as the allview. I found it difficult to figure out how close a car actually was with the allview.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the Allview and the Longacre 17" mirrors. I like the Allview a lot better (less/very little distortion). I don't like the Wink because it's a bunch of mirrors and not a single view.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 5 panel wink in my 944 spec car. It darn near covers the entire from of the car. I like it quite alot as it gives me views into both blind spots on both sides of the car.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I have a 5 panel wink in my 944 spec car. It darn near covers the entire from of the car. I like it quite alot as it gives me views into both blind spots on both sides of the car.
Plus when you look in the mirror and see 5 cars on your tail instead of just 1 it makes you drive a lot faster!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Allview / Longacre - it's a bit tricky to learn, a friend hated his, but I run it on the street (drive the car to the track) and you get good at judging distances. Ther are NO blind spots with this thing - it's one of the parts that I'll keep if I sell this car.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+ 1 for the Allview
Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I have a 4 panel wink and love it. Gives me complete view of the rear and side. The other advantage is that you can use your side view mirrors much wider, so you see even more of the track. I did have to make some brackets to get mine low enough that I could just move my eyes and not my whole head. I don't even notice the lines of the wink at speed...much like my HANS it just "goes away".
Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The wink doesn't fit in my car.

I've used the Allview for 2 years. Nice mirror with very little distortion. Easy to mount and adjust.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeh... it's been threaded before, man.

I personally don't want anything that gives me a distorted view. I cannot say that I've ever driven with a parabolic mirror, because I couldn't stand either one even backing out of the shop door. The Longacre is just horrendous, and while the Allview is much clearer, I still cannot not tell how far anything is away. I couldn't even back the car up to a building or a row of cars. Had NO CLUE how close I was. "Judging" distance does not cut it for me. I want to KNOW FOR SURE.

I have used a Wink (3, 4, & 5 panel) for years. It is the only choice in my opinion. The only gripe I have is it would be nice if they offered a higher quality model. I've had the glass fall off, and the longer ones will warp over the years. I made a 4 panel one out of aluminum and now my problems are solved. People squawk about the seperate panels, but if you actually go out and use it, you should realize that you don't look at the MIRROR itself. but at the IMAGE in the mirror. I don't even see lines. I see EVERYTHING else including stuff that is in my periferal vision as well, and it is all 100% real size and natural distance.

I should mention that Winks can he difficult to use if you are short. You need to get them down somewhat low - as Colin suggests - so you can simply glance. If you are short, you can't get them far enough away to see them.

I always fabricate custom brackets for the ones I install, as the stuff offered is too whippy and short. I make bracketry out of heavier stock so that there is zero vibration, and also much longer slotted arms so that you can get it far enough away from you to glance into easily.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Allview is not the same as the Longacre. The Longacre mirror is convex in the top to bottom dimension in addition to side-to-side. It makes it much harder to judge how far back a car that is directly behind you is. The Allview is only convex in the side-to-side dimension and flat top-to-bottom so the view from the middle of the mirror is nearly the same as a stock mirror.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wink.....................................
Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

thx guys. ..I caught some of the old threads too. Looks like opinion is pretty even split.

John -- good recommendation on brackets. thx. I have used 5 panel wink, maybe it's just too long.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 5 panel wink for my car but it did not fit... not without cutting off my forward vision.

So I got a Longacre one. It's ok but definitely does distort. Guess I need to try the allview.

Quick Reply: Allview mirror vs wink