Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Jacked By Chateau Elan (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called the Chateau to make a reservation for this weekend and the next one. I was first transferred to a call center that quoted me $135 for the Friday night with the GoldCoast rate, and $155 for the Saturday night because the fantastic GoldCoast rate was not available for Saturday anymore. Then I was quoted $105 for the Florida Crown/Citrus event for both nights. I asked for the $105 for all 4 nights and was told no. I said no thank you and called back the hotel asking not to be transferred to a call center. Sure enough, the person at the hotel gave me the $105 for both weekends. Call centers have no flexibility. The hotel itself does. I hope some of you can use that!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

That place has been TERRIBLE for years. Stay away, far way.
You have been warned !!

Jack
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

The "inns" are still offering a room and full breakfast for $74 this weekend.

Jack
Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never tried the Chateau, but have always had good luck at inn on the lakes. I'm planning to put in insulation and AC in the trailer, and try camping. I've used the showers at Sebring and Road Atlanta before, and I think Roebling has them as well. The only thing is most tracks seem to close their gates around 6, so you couldn't go out to eat w/ friends.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
Throw some bunks in the rig and you get 4 stars. The Chateau's rating of three is highly dubious.
LOL. Give Don a Break

Originally Posted by ArticGT3
If you were French like me, you wouldn't even have to worry about the shower thing!
Dry soap I presume

Originally Posted by gt3cup98
Wow, I feel like a sucker. I paid the four nights in advance no less. I am just lazy I guess?!?
Boyd
Yes being right next to the track sucks ! give me the room and stay with the others at the Inn .
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

Dry soap I presume
Cologne!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Fabio421
Man of many SIGs
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a restaurant down the street (North) from the Chateau called the Dockside. It is owned by a Porsche enthusiast and they have pretty good food. They also have a tiki bar outside on the lake and he brings in live music when there is an event such as the 48hr club race. Check it out if you get the chance. The owners name is George.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

I had the same issue last year for the 48 hrs when I tried to book. They wanted a 4 night minimum. About a week before the event I knew a Rennlister had canceled his 5 night booking so I tried to jump on three nights. They wouldn't do it so I stayed at the Inn Thursday / Friday and moved to the Château for Sat night so I could run back and take a shower on Sunday. I got it for $125 and I know that the room sat vacant the rest of the event just because they wouldn't be flexible.

Being next door, especially if you are on the track side is very nice and besides the ****ty food the hotel is decent but I agree with the majority; The good Dr. needs to learn some basic economics. He may be able to get away with that in GA but aside from a few pro races each year I don't think it's a wise move to alienate habitual guests in Sebring FL. Especially after they just sunk a bunch of money in a new wing.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

The hotel is now managed by Sheraton. The good Dr. has nothing to do with the way they do it. But make sure you don't park in his spot!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I stayed at the IATL this year and it may have been the worst room I've ever stayed in...even counting college.

I just booked my rooms for the 48 Hours next year at the Holiday Inn Express for $119/night for only 3 nights! I could have gotten a cheaper rate if I wanted to pre-pay with no cancellation. I can cancel up to 6:00pm on the 4th of February.

Oh, and I feel a lot smarter....

Last edited by PedroNole; 07-22-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Terry, I agree about the Sheraton Chateau Elan. The food is horrible and the rooms need TV and air conditioning repair.

The last 2 times I was there I have had to mover rooms 3 times the 1st stay and 2 times the second stay due to the air not working and the Tv not working.

As someone who basically lives in hotels due to my job the Sheraton Chateau Elan is horrible for the price and the type of hotel it is supposed to be.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabio421
There is a restaurant down the street (North) from the Chateau called the Dockside. It is owned by a Porsche enthusiast and they have pretty good food. They also have a tiki bar outside on the lake and he brings in live music when there is an event such as the 48hr club race. Check it out if you get the chance. The owners name is George.
Could that be the Sunset Grill? on the south end of the lake
outside is excellent if no bugs, inside is (just) ok, food was very good.

http://www.sebringrestaurants.com/di...y/99999_2.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2650+U...01317&t=h&z=19

-did the chateau build a new wing? I'm in there for sept 5-6, they said they built something...

personally I love the inn on the lakes, but the chateau has location and a room with a view. which is worth something...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Terry, I agree about the Sheraton Chateau Elan. The food is horrible and the rooms need TV and air conditioning repair.

The last 2 times I was there I have had to mover rooms 3 times the 1st stay and 2 times the second stay due to the air not working and the Tv not working.

As someone who basically lives in hotels due to my job the Sheraton Chateau Elan is horrible for the price and the type of hotel it is supposed to be.
Mike,

I've played musical rooms a couple times myself (AC as well). But in the end, I find the bed is really good. It's hard enough to get to sleep when you're so excited about the next day. It's nice when the bed helps!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Why don't a few of you go in together and rent a RV for the weekend? Park it in the paddock, hook up the power and you got air conditioning, showers and a kitchen w/fridge. If you get one with Sat TV you even got that. Sure cn't be anymore expensive than a 4-night $200+ per night room at that crummy hotel.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys, being a GM of Hotels myself, I guess I have a different short of an "insight" to this issue.
By definition hotels are some times vacant, some times full. A hotel in the location of the Elan I doubt is full on other days besides weekends like the 48hrs. As such they need to make their money to make a profit during their peak times. Dont forget that hotel running costs dont just happen on busy weekends. As a GM you look at the whole picture not just a single weekend. I bet that their average occupancy for the month of february must be considerably lower than a 70% occupancy which is usually a sound figure to break even and make some money.
Having minimum stay requirements is not unheard off either. Its actually a common practice on busy periods as you need to solidify your base and meet your demand. When you dont have that, what happens is that one night you might be empty and the next full where you could have the opportunity to be full or close to it both nights with minimum stay. I will venture to say that they do have demand that will fill the hotel for 4 nights and again looking at the big picture, this could be the critical point in their overall month performance and if they are going to make money or not. This might dissapoint many and I'm not saying they are right in doing so, I'm just giving a different insight on the issue from a professional stand point. I used to work at the Breakers in Palm Beach back in 1992. This is a 5 star hotel and a gorgeous one at that. We used to have a 16 night minimum stay during the Christmas period. The demand was really high and we were sold out every single night for these 16 nights. Did we have calls for shorter stay? Sure, but the end result was that we also had many other regulars that would fly in from all over the world to spend these 16 nights with us who ultimately filled up the hotel...The hotel back then would sell its ocean front rooms for $600 per night and in the summer, which was the slow period, these rooms could be had sometimes for as low as $200. In reality the hotel was loosing money during the off season and making money during the high season, which balanced the entire year. Again dont forget that the operating costs remain pretty much identical year round in most cases...Keeping your staff on payroll is a challenge when things are slow, but its crucial for maintaining trained staff who will provide the service expected by your guests...

Again I'm not making excuses for the Elan, I have visited the place only and never stayed there so I cant say the value for money even on a high period except their natural location ofcourse...

Quick Reply: Getting Jacked By Chateau Elan (again)