Sponsored by:

First Track day at NJMP - Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Day 2 - sneaked out of the house on the pretext of running some errands...got 3 run sesssions in.
Fun to run with you, Bobby. I just LOVE the color of your car, and it goes pretty good, too.

Weather in the afternoon was perfect. There were only three run groups, and two of them had the pretty much the same cars in it. The last session had only one car in it, me! I ran until the car sputtered from lack of gas, and then limped into town to fill the tank and drive home.

Everyone seems to expect Thunderbolt to be better than Lightning, but Lightning is pretty neat. The issue I see for DEs will be that there is really on the front straight for novice passing. All the other straights (and none of them are altogether straight) have an issue or another. For intermediate and advanced drivers it will be lots of fun. The concern I have for races is that pit out has a short blend area and it's on the blind side of T1. Careful running two or three abreast in T1!

The staff this weekend was eager to please, friendly and interested. Great weekend.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Fun to run with you, Bobby. I just LOVE the color of your car, and it goes pretty good, too.

Weather in the afternoon was perfect. There were only three run groups, and two of them had the pretty much the same cars in it. The last session had only one car in it, me! I ran until the car sputtered from lack of gas, and then limped into town to fill the tank and drive home.

Everyone seems to expect Thunderbolt to be better than Lightning, but Lightning is pretty neat. The issue I see for DEs will be that there is really on the front straight for novice passing. All the other straights (and none of them are altogether straight) have an issue or another. For intermediate and advanced drivers it will be lots of fun. The concern I have for races is that pit out has a short blend area and it's on the blind side of T1. Careful running two or three abreast in T1!

The staff this weekend was eager to please, friendly and interested. Great weekend.
Chris, I really enjoyed running with you too!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would be glad to bring a mix of sausages from Nodine's Smokehouse ( http://www.nodinesmokehouse.com/products.asp?dept=11 ) if that helps! Maybe some Andouille, Chlorizo, Bratwurst, Hot/Sweet Italian, and Kielbasa to start out! Anyone get Paolo's recipe for the peppers?
I was going to cancel in order to save my marriage but no way now ! See you guys there.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Someone needs to ascertain if it is OK to grill there..

I like it too, fond memories of the 930 I just sold..
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Vid from corvette forum -
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Bobby C, Scott it was great meeting you this weekend. The weekend was great and the hospitality even better. I was running in the High Speed group with 12 other cars yesterday and about 8 today. We had a tremendous amount of track time and traffic wasn't an issue, I ran over 50 laps in 3 sessions today. The track has a tremendous grip, especially "light bulb". The exit speed from light bulb is approaching 100 mph. I have some video which I will post soon. The paddock area is paved and is huge. The kart track was open as well. My son and I raced in two sessions with over 10 karts in our group. The kart track length was over 1 mile. Food was good. I stayed at the Quality Inn. The room was clean and roomy. No "hourly" workers in sight. No disappointments here.

Charlie
Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bobby, iMovie will import AVCHD in its native form right off your camera. You can then export it in easily posted Quicktime format. Time for a Mac.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie, it was great to see you and meet your son. Great guy...he's looking forward to seat time in your car. Chris, I apologize for not stopping by to say hello...
Nice track, it will be a fast one!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are 2 laps from yesterday.
Charlie

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What are there, 2 left hand turns? That looks like a left-side tire workout a la Lime Rock.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
What are there, 2 left hand turns? That looks like a left-side tire workout a la Lime Rock.
yup...and T5 which is a Lime Rock like uphill "keep your wheel straight" but can't
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
we've done pulled pork bbq, kielbasa, etc. we try to vary the menu a little so keep it fresh.

unless I hear otherwise, I'll have my grill with me on the 21st.
You're a great cook, Steve, but there are additional reasons to walk over to the Ovations concession stand in the karting building. One of them is the CDOC pro shop there. When I was there yesterday there were two more reasons to stop by. Here is a photo of one of them I snapped with my phone:
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to meet some new people this weekend.
What a track!! I was expecting something totally different from the track map. It is definitely not the no-brainer the map look like. It is going to be a great race track as you can find multiple lines through a few areas for great passes. It has a few areas that are far faster than they first appear, such as turn 1 an uphill hard on the gas right.
Also Chris nailed it on the head by far the best looking women I have seen working at the track so far( I am guessing some southern Cal guys might disagree LOL)
Now the summer is set. I will be back this Friday with emra and of course the big schattenbaum event in 2 weeks
Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice writeups, thanks. I would've been there except for a longtime date at Mid OH. Signed up for opening day Aug 2 on Thunderbolt in the FF.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're a great cook, Steve, but there are additional reasons to walk over to the Ovations concession stand in the karting building. One of them is the CDOC pro shop there. When I was there yesterday there were two more reasons to stop by. Here is a photo of one of them I snapped with my phone:
I can't be the only married guy thinking that this is not a net positive? I really don't need one more reason for the S.O. to hate the place...

Quick Reply: First Track day at NJMP - Lightning