Sponsored by:

Chin VIR Footage...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Chin VIR Footage...

My first "venture" into Red rungroup is mixed in some of this 10 minute clip... Feel like the learning process has just started over!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLQRnDHgvU

Enjoy...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

I drive VIR fairly often, normally in a black run group with PCA, and have not done a Chin event yet. Is that their instructor group? It looks to be rather slow. Im guessing you are driving a 996/997, and the Vettes and Ferraris have nothing for you. What mods have you done and what are your lap-times?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 08:04 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice driving mike. i wanna see the part where you were behind dell, and a view of a full lap would be nice too.

glad you fun!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mike.....great seeing you again (and everybody else as well)! Also, great meeting more RL'ers tp put a face with a name that I haven't had the pleasure to meet in person yet. Another great event with Chin. Just a great group to drive with.

Mike, if you do have some footage at anytime we were on track let me know. I'll download my camera tonight and post up some clips here tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Mike,

I drive VIR fairly often, normally in a black run group with PCA, and have not done a Chin event yet. Is that their instructor group? It looks to be rather slow. Im guessing you are driving a 996/997, and the Vettes and Ferraris have nothing for you. What mods have you done and what are your lap-times?

Thanks
Don,the instructor group is an extremely fast group. This is what wrote on another thread.

We really love the Chin events. We think the approach and tone they set for the events is superb. They treat people as adults and with respect. People seem to rise to the expectations.

You almost cannot use as much potential track time as you can with Chin. At least 3-1/2 hours, and possibly more. What that does is cut down everyone's panic that they have to set their best lap in the first or second of three or four 20-minute sessions. It lets people relax and go out on the track as much or as little as they wish, knowing there's plenty more track time to be had.

Their passing rules for the Instructor/Advanced run group is among the most liberal of any events we have ever attended; yet, the safety record is also among the highest for all the reasons stated above.
More liberal passing rules lessen the frustrations of being "caught" behind a slower driver.

Their Intermediate group has almost the same passing rules, the difference being that in that group, giving a passing signal is discretionary, not mandatory as in the higher group.

Their novice group's passing rules are very similar to that of PCA novice passing rules; but even in the novice run group, there seems to be a higher awareness of faster drivers and the need to allow them to get by. It all ties in to Chin's stressing the courtesy to and awareness of others in the same run group.

The other thing that probably contributes to the enjoyment of a Chin event is that they limit the number of cars they accept into an event, and under the TrackQuest format, only three run groups.

Margo and I want to thank Mark, Maria, Jack, and all the other head instructors for putting on one of the most fun events that we attend. This really means something when you figure that over the years, we have attended literally hundreds of events.

And I just want everyone to know, that was not Dell in the car, it was Parker. Think of that power-to-weight ratio!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
And I just want everyone to know, that was not Dell in the car, it was Parker. Think of that power-to-weight ratio!
Shhhhh! Don't tell anybody that Parker got the PCA waiver at the youngest ever recorded age of 8 months
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats where it all starts. we'll be hearing his name in F1 in the years to come
Old 07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

I have heard a lot of good things about Chin. I'd love to see them firsthand sometime!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jenk12m
thats where it all starts. we'll be hearing his name in F1 in the years to come
You ain't kidding Jenk! I can only imagine what my track budget is going to look like when he starts in karts
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Don, That was a "mix" of Red and Blue groups from both days. I started out in their intermediate solo group and finally asked for a sign-off on day two and got moved into Red... Red is significantly faster, and I only had a few lazy point bys... I ran multiple 2:10s-2:12s, according to my traqmate, and had a good time overall... My 996TT has power mods and suspension/brake mods, but I killed the rear tires and found one had corded the outside edge when I pulled them yesterday. My tracking is done until I can get some GT3 control arms for the car... I'm wasting good tires on a bad alignment limitation (0-1.5 F/ -2.0R). I'm only running PSS9s and H/R swaybars with droplinks.

Dell I've got some "brief" footage of you in Day2 Session3 for about 1/2 a lap... You dropped me like a bad habit! I saw you coming up the bridge straight and waved off a pass to let you go by, then jumped in behind you, and WOW...

I'll post the link shortly...

Mike

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Mike,

Thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 09:38 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arnie and Mike, Thanks for the replies. I'll have to try Chin one day. At this point I am also limited to -1.5 front. Gotta buy a Camber King from Smart Racing.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ok, here is some footage. My little mini-DV camcorder is about to go kaput so the video is crappy. The vibrations must be killing this thing since I was only able to salvage about 3 sessions worth of footage over the weekend. I was able to pull out 3 decent laps in the 206-207 range.

Here is the LINK.

Lap 1....held up by a Z06 guy that feels the need to drag race down a straight. Fails to comprehend that a guy 20 car lengths back could catch him in a brake zone

Lap 2 and 3.......late passes into the climbing esses which really scrubs speed.

At the end of lap 3 I catch 2 more Z06'ers and got past one between NASCAR and Left Hook, but the other one dragged me down the bridge straight after giving me a pass so I had quite the pucker moment entering the esses at 130+ on the INSIDE! Talk about a code brown pucker moment!

Last edited by LVDell; 07-06-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Dell That was me second lap giving you the point by... I figured I'd hold you up IN the esses, so waved off the pass from the miata and gave it to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkoP7qUxj7A

Mike
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Dell That was me second lap giving you the point by... I figured I'd hold you up IN the esses, so waved off the pass from the miata and gave it to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkoP7qUxj7A

Mike
Great video! That back straight separation is probably due to Oak Tree exit speed. I am sure your turbo pushes like a dump truck there? Do you have any data acquisition? If so, what is your exit speed there?

Good driving my friend and a great exmaple of traffic management. Most people (ala the rust colored Z06 in my video Lap 1) refuse to understand passing protocol. That guy should have given me a pass in the chute between 15 and 16 but instead refused and then refused again on the front stragiht. Laughable really.
See you at the next event!

ps. I think it's time for me to get a proper camera in my car. my video quality really sucks bad.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I'll go back and check my traqmate, but I'm pretty sure I'm down to about 40-42MPH there... The combo of weight (car is about 3350#), MPSCs that I found corded when I got home (Went to the track with TONS of tread on the rears and new fronts), and the lack of camber... This thing pushes pretty bad everywhere... So much so that I left PSM on during that session...

Oh, and of course, the big one...

Lack of T-A-L-E-N-T!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Chin VIR Footage...