Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin VIR Footage...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably so... but i Always suggest do what is comfortable to you!!!! and try it at 6/10ths first and do so until completely comfortable before ramping it up
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
I used to bang down through the gears to 3rd, trailbrake through T14, and then have a short burst of speed between trailbraking T14 and T14a, trail T14a and then down to 2nd just before heading down the roller coaster. After talking with Seth and Larry about this they said they did it the way I do it now. I am now able to brake just a tad deeper but more importantly carry more speed and be in more control of the car.

With that said, I highly rec'd that you do NOT shift to 2nd there and instead use 3rd when transitioning between the back and the roller coaster until you have all the other elements totally down (trailbraking, apexes, etc.).
I only use 2nd when there's a traffic. What? Are you worry that I gonna kill myself while trying to copy what you're doing in the video? Dell, since you don't have "Kids, do not try this by yourself warning" at the beginning of your videos, I have no choice but to do it. lol
Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not kill yourself but rather your gearbox, motor, or worse yet, the fragile ego
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

I do worry about the gearbox tho. Read about some synchro problems with the 6GT3s.

<-- has no ego.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Have heard nothing about synchro problems in a 6GT3. Are you making stuff up Ken?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

AWESOME Time!!! That ranks as my top two track days yet! VIR is a terrific track and facility, Chin is hands down the best group to run with, but my instructor on day 1...sheeshk, how did they allow Dell through the front gate?!

It was very nice to meet some of the Rennlisters and share some track stories/lies together. The Rennlist folks are great, Corvette guys should just stick to drag racing. That is really all they like to do.

Thanks Dell for all of the tips on VIR and thanks for the rocket ride. I probably learned as much there as anywhere.

I couldn't catch Dell's car on film, it's too fast, but here are a couple of pictures-
Attached Images     
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to bang down through the gears to 3rd, trailbrake through T14, and then have a short burst of speed between trailbraking T14 and T14a, trail T14a and then down to 2nd just before heading down the roller coaster. After talking with Seth and Larry about this they said they did it the way I do it now. I am now able to brake just a tad deeper but more importantly carry more speed and be in more control of the car.

With that said, I highly rec'd that you do NOT shift to 2nd there and instead use 3rd when transitioning between the back and the roller coaster until you have all the other elements totally down (trailbraking, apexes, etc.).
Nice vid Dell. Very consistant.
I take a very similar line to you except at the end of the back straight where I do what you did, downshift 5 to 4, on the gas a little and down to 3 at the top of the carousel. I can see that you are faster (not counting the extra ~200HP ) doing it the way you do and I just have to work up to letting myself brake deeper comming off the back strainght.
Are you braking at the 1 marker there?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
AWESOME Time!!! That ranks as my top two track days yet! VIR is a terrific track and facility, Chin is hands down the best group to run with, but my instructor on day 1...sheeshk, how did they allow Dell through the front gate?!

It was very nice to meet some of the Rennlisters and share some track stories/lies together. The Rennlist folks are great, Corvette guys should just stick to drag racing. That is really all they like to do.

Thanks Dell for all of the tips on VIR and thanks for the rocket ride. I probably learned as much there as anywhere.

I couldn't catch Dell's car on film, it's too fast, but here are a couple of pictures-
Tucker it was great to meet you! Had a blast riding with you. You have quite a bit of talent there my friend. Glad you enjoyed the ride and that I was able to teach a few things. You picked up the track very quickly so my services were obviously not needed. Great job!

And that RSA of yours is just BEAUTIFUL!

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Nice vid Dell. Very consistant.
I take a very similar line to you except at the end of the back straight where I do what you did, downshift 5 to 4, on the gas a little and down to 3 at the top of the carousel. I can see that you are faster (not counting the extra ~200HP ) doing it the way you do and I just have to work up to letting myself brake deeper comming off the back strainght.
Are you braking at the 1 marker there?
Thanks Eddie! I usually shoot for the 1 marker. With the new technique of 6 to 2 instead of banging through the gears I can get away with just past the 1 before the "arrow". But not too much or the trailbraking gets very code brown very fast.

What cracks me up, is looking at my past videos from when I first got to the track, my brake zone was before the markers even started!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice shots of the ZAPmobile. That's Margo driving; I don't wear all that jewelry.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

At least not out in public Arnie
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Nice shots of the ZAPmobile. That's Margo driving; I don't wear all that jewelry.
The lap times were much lower with the jewelry wearing driver I noticed!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

At least not out in public Arnie
+1

Old 07-07-2008, 07:26 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
+1

All right, you guys are reallllly getting personal. We all have our little hang-ups.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'll go back and check my traqmate, but I'm pretty sure I'm down to about 40-42MPH there...
Finally a place on the track where I can hang with you guys!!

Unfortunately I am doing a screaming 120ish mph at the other end of the attached straight.

On a good day I have time to check my voice mail between Oaktree and T14 before checking the rearview to see you guys closing on me at 150+ into the braking zone at the top of the hill.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TedA
Finally a place on the track where I can hang with you guys!!

Unfortunately I am doing a screaming 120ish mph at the other end of the attached straight.

On a good day I have time to check my voice mail between Oaktree and T14 before checking the rearview to see you guys closing on me at 150+ into the braking zone at the top of the hill.

Quick Reply: Chin VIR Footage...