Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008 | 12:54 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steward B.
an interesting comment that your wife is not interested in the track at all.

I wonder if she's ever thought about the fact that it would appear to be one of your passions in life. I also wonder if she thinks about how much you care for your family to give up one of the passions in your life. On the other hand, what does it mean that she's asking you to give up one of the passions in your life, that is unless you are mortgaging the farm to race.

I had a similar discussion with a good lady friend of mine, who races, a couple of years ago when one of our other racing friends announced that he was quitting racing because his fiancee hated it, wanted to build a big house, didn't want to be at the track where there was dirt and his smelly friends, and thought he was spending too much time and money on his racing. She very quietly commented about whether the relationship was a strong one if the fiancee was taking away his greatest passion in life........a couple of months later he took the car off the market and appeared at a race. His comment "I got rid of the fiancee...."

the good news for me is that my wife has not only been supportive but participates in DE's, edits the region newsletter, etc plus our kids have grown up around the track. There's something to be said about the instructor assigned to your kids reporting that they were on line first lap of their first school and understood the concepts (son - "Dad, do you think we haven't been listening all these years?")

sure, my trade off with my wife is that we go to plays and concerts and I don't fall asleep and I walk through art galleries and museums and have somewhat knowledgeable conversations with my art history major wife.

I'm sure its a tough call for you. The good news is PCA club racing will be there once your kids are grown.
Well, for one I would NEVER give up my wife for racing! I know you are not suggesting that, but I was broke and had no money when we got married. The love of Porsches came later and my wife was never against it. She has accompanied me to the track a few times. We made the Sebring Club Race in February part of our family vacation time (although she was only at the track to see about 15 minutes of the race). She hasn't asked me to sell ALL of my cars and motorcycles and give up the track all together. Rather she has pointed out and I have recognized a lack of balance on my part. She understands my "need for speed". She has no problem with me doing a few DE's a year and maybe renting a spec miata or something once or twice a year. I guess I really don't have it bad considering she has accepted the fact I will have the RS (which she likes) and my Harley and KTM. She has asked me to sell the Ducati, but that has not been a strong issue as of yet. If I maintain balance I will have a lot of fun and have the support of my wife and daughters doing it.

Thanks for all of the response guys. I knew I was making the right choice and ALL of you have confirmed it in one way or another.
Old 07-03-2008 | 09:11 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
She has no problem with me doing a few DE's a year and maybe renting a spec miata or something once or twice a year.
"A few DE's" and "renting a spec Miata twice a year" - why sell the cup? It sounds like right there you'd have a nice race season of ~4 races. If she's going to let you take the time for 4 weekends, you might as well make them races in my book.
Old 07-03-2008 | 09:34 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
If you want a true parent/kid relationship building activity that is an extension of your track addiction, get your kid into karting. There you will be with your son all weekend and in a mode where you are a team: you're the pit crew and general manager, the kid is the driver. Talk about a way to open up communication channels!
+1 The greatest parenting move I ever made. Unfortunately for me the girls loved horses so I manfully supported that for years. But thank God the boy likes to race! It's hard to imagine, but when it's your kid, being a crew chief hanging on the rail is every bit as fulfilling as being behind the wheel.
Old 07-03-2008 | 09:41 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

After watching me wrenching, sweating, and wearing a race suite on 100 degree days while hanging out on the blacktop, my daughter came out to her first event some time ago. A day at the track watching the banter and the strong camraderie, plus a high speed ride in the car, she absolutely got it. "Now I understand why you do this, and what great people you do it with."

Janet, my wife, has supported and encouraged me consistently. She too understands and appreciates the healthy addiction and the great crowd fo fellow addicts. Having this level of support at home is essential.

The new problem looming on the horizon is that Rebecca is talking about getting a car and joinign in the fun!! By the look of this, my car may not be safe!
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2008 | 10:09 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The new problem looming on the horizon is that Rebecca is talking about getting a car and joinign in the fun!! By the look of this, my car may not be safe!
Not a problem, she 100% should do it if the $ and time is there! (Car looks great in the pics, btw)
Old 07-03-2008 | 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

After watching me wrenching, sweating, and wearing a race suite on 100 degree days while hanging out on the blacktop, my daughter came out to her first event some time ago. A day at the track watching the banter and the strong camraderie, plus a high speed ride in the car, she absolutely got it. "Now I understand why you do this, and what great people you do it with."

Janet, my wife, has supported and encouraged me consistently. She too understands and appreciates the healthy addiction and the great crowd fo fellow addicts. Having this level of support at home is essential.

You have a beautiful daughter Tony (must take after mom! ).. Absolutely get her out there, let her use the 944 for now!
Old 07-03-2008 | 10:54 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
"A few DE's" and "renting a spec Miata twice a year" - why sell the cup? It sounds like right there you'd have a nice race season of ~4 races. If she's going to let you take the time for 4 weekends, you might as well make them races in my book.
I seriously thought the same thing! I guess I realize that if I have a $100K car sitting around and only use it 4 times a year I would go nuts. If the cup car was still here I couldn't maintain balance and only do 4 races!! I know myself. I originally thought I would do only 4 or 5 races a year MAX because of money and time. Instead I was planning about double that. On top of that, the planning and preparation time and money....
Simply put it is like saying to an alcoholic "here you can have only 2 drinks".

Believe me I have been agonizing over this.
Old 07-03-2008 | 10:57 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

wow, what a look! You are in trouble.
Old 07-03-2008 | 11:04 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I seriously thought the same thing! I guess I realize that if I have a $100K car sitting around and only use it 4 times a year I would go nuts. If the cup car was still here I couldn't maintain balance and only do 4 races!! I know myself. I originally thought I would do only 4 or 5 races a year MAX because of money and time. Instead I was planning about double that. On top of that, the planning and preparation time and money....
Simply put it is like saying to an alcoholic "here you can have only 2 drinks".

Believe me I have been agonizing over this.
Yeah, I'm just being your pusher. I'll stop.
Old 07-03-2008 | 11:07 AM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

that is awesome... and just think of how many fewer dates she'll go on if she spends weekends at the track!!!!
Old 07-03-2008 | 11:37 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Interesting and thought provoking thread........

I think everyone with family obligations wrestles with what is the ideal balance of time between personal passions and family. Can you combine the 2? I have 2 teenagers, one heading off to college and the other starting high school. The younger one plays travel hockey and lacrosse year round and throws in a few karting events on "free weekends". I feel very fortunate to get 15 plus track days thru DE and 2-3 club races. Thankfully I can sneak away from work for the weekday track time and avoid missing the weekend family stuff.

If only there was a way to make a living on the track during the week and be home for weekends.............. I guess that would be paradise.

A friends mother said "you track guys are no different then junkies, can't get enough and the only difference is your hooked on something legal".
Old 07-03-2008 | 11:44 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 930man
dude i ran into the same thing last year... cup car went so did a lot of others to spend more time with my kids and new wife! It takes a good man to realize what he has at home is important! i think you will be rewarded in years to come your kids will remember the time you spend with them.. i am at the Lkae now with them teaching them to wake board and waterski... yes my boat is not a cup car but when my son got up on the wake board yesterday it was better than running a 1:59 at VIR!!!!!!!!!

i wont do the Racing thing until my kids can and want to spend the time with me there. which may be never but i will cross that bridge when the time comes...
so...I take it your going to call me about co-driving VIR with GA then tonight right? They are so ready...haha
Old 07-03-2008 | 12:51 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
A friends mother said "you track guys are no different then junkies, can't get enough and the only difference is your hooked on something legal".
That is basically accurate. I think doing drugs might be cheaper.
Old 07-03-2008 | 07:40 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

Yo Matt,

Jim here, this construction slow down is the pits for us and requires that we make decisions that are difficult, however, you have your priorities in order.

My wife could also care less about the track and I have never been able to get here to one of our events unless Paul Newman was there. She gladly made those events!!!!!

I have always enjoyed being on the track with you and knew that I could trust you in a tight spot.

Good Luck "FRIEND" and we wil see you soon.

JMAC
Old 07-04-2008 | 10:09 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
so...I take it your going to call me about co-driving VIR with GA then tonight right? They are so ready...haha
let's not get out of control about this

Quick Reply: Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.