Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.

Well, I just worked out a deal on getting rid of my Cup car. I am VERY sad to sell, however it was the right thing to do now. After I had put up my RS for sale for financial and misc. reasons, some other issues surfaced that I wish I had realized before. After some "discussions" with the wife and an HONEST self evaluation I understand that I have been spending way too much time (and money - although not the primary reason) doing the club races. It is not just the time doing the races but also the time I spend preparing, thinking, talking, reading, etc. etc. I love my wife and 2 girls very much and they are far more important than the fun I have racing (or anything else for that matter).

So I wish I had sold the Cup first and kept the RS. The RS , while expensive in itself, is far less time consuming and expensive to maintain. My wife has no issues with me doing some DE events and having ONE fun car - as long as it is kept in its proper place.

It is very tough to make these adjustments - especially one month before the race I was most looking forward to at VIR. But I know it is for the best.
So fellow club racers, farewell for now. It has been a relatively short journey but I really loved doing it. I hope to do it again in the future.
For now a few DE's and maybe renting a Spec Miata or something and doing a race once or twice a year will have to do.

I have just confirmed a deal on trading my Cup and some $$ for another RS. This time it is all black. The RS has been my most favorite Porsche I have owned to date - that is really the only car I want since I have to have ONLY ONE for now. I hope to see some of you at the track for DE's - boring as they are compared to racing.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Matt,
I have been through same deal, it's the right thing to do, your kids only grow up once. There still will be car races once are kids are grown.
Phil
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
84-944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll leave the light on for you.

Loved all the wheels up pics earlier this year!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Family first, good call!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

You sound like you have a wonderful wife and great children. I'm glad you are going to get to spend more family time together, and really get to know them. I hope you sell the Cup Car soon - and enjoy the "fun car." See you at the DEs...

Last edited by DarkSideDE; 07-02-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you know it they will be all grown up and out of the nest. Mine were born "yesterday" and already one is entering 2nd year of college and the other entering senior hear in high school. I love the DE scene and resisted getting involved in racing thinking that once I have an empty nest maybe I'll head in that direction.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

good call, matt. family is more important than cars. next year, if all is smooth, i will be doing a lot less DE as well.

post pix of RS when it arrives.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GT3 Nut, have fun with the family, its worth it!

CR will be here when your get back.

I can't wait for my son to be a bit older (he's two) so he can join me. For now I do what I can to keep the peace and make sure I share my time wisely.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck - get a spec boxster half the cost of the cup and just as much fun - you can buy an whole engine for the cost of the cup muffler
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent choice! Enjoy the new car and I hope to see you around a DE soon.

"You really can have it all, just not necessarily at the same time".
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt:

You are a good man. And definitely a smart man. Good luck buddy!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Wise Man !
Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I didn't know stopping cold-turkey was possible! Good luck!

One of my favorite pictures, me and the kids at the Road America club race last year. Assuming I get my engine back together, we'll be back out to Wisconsin as a family again this year. I'm still desperately trying to have my cake and eat it, too.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Very, very, very difficult but smart move. It's painful to think that we live our life with limits, and as you head down a certain path (marriage, family, career), options are foreclosed or postponed.

But that's LOT easier than stretching yourself too thin and jeopardizing things that are more important.

Be happy, stay connected to the sport. Do a few DEs to stay sharp.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

dude i ran into the same thing last year... cup car went so did a lot of others to spend more time with my kids and new wife! It takes a good man to realize what he has at home is important! i think you will be rewarded in years to come your kids will remember the time you spend with them.. i am at the Lkae now with them teaching them to wake board and waterski... yes my boat is not a cup car but when my son got up on the wake board yesterday it was better than running a 1:59 at VIR!!!!!!!!!

i wont do the Racing thing until my kids can and want to spend the time with me there. which may be never but i will cross that bridge when the time comes...

Quick Reply: Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.