'08 British Grand Prix Preview, Predictions and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,530 Likes on 2,102 Posts
Default '08 British Grand Prix Preview, Predictions and Discussion

It's been very quiet lately, possibly summer break, but the next F1 race is upon us over our 4th of July weekend. Here is a technical preview of the race.

Silverstone Tech File
01 July 2008

The challenge of racing at Silverstone has been transformed in recent years by the introduction of V8 engines and ever-increasing levels of downforce. The result is that corners previously requiring downshifts can now be taken with just a lift of the throttle, and indeed the first half of the lap, all the way to Vale, requires very little braking at all. The engines are therefore under prolonged load with a full throttle percentage of 66% per lap. Corners range from 180 mph sweepers to the long, slow complex at the end of the lap - and the car must also cope with the bumpy surface and capricious, gusting winds.

Aerodynamics
Downforce levels at Silverstone are medium to high - the same as those used at the last race in Magny-Cours. The downforce is required for the quick corners in the opening part of the lap, and the relatively short straights and short braking zones mean that any deficit in straightline speed is unlikely to see competitors overtaking you. The lack of heavy braking also means we run some of the smallest brake ducts of the year to optimise aerodynamic performance.

Ride
Ride is an important characteristic at Silverstone, where maintaining consistent aerodynamic performance is so critical for performance in the quick corners. The surface is quite bumpy, and nowhere more so than under braking for turn 8, where the uneven surface can unsettle the car. The drivers also tend to drift out onto the kerbs exiting the quick corners in order to take the fastest line, which can make the circuit seem bumpier than it is.

Suspension
We run the car with a forward mechanical balance at this circuit - essentially with a stiff front end and softer rear end. The stiff front gives the car a good change of direction in the high and slow speed corners, while the softer rear end gives better grip under traction, exiting turns 9, 11 and 16 in particular.

Tyres
Tyres are always given a hard time at this track, especially because of the numerous high-speed corners, and this means that Silverstone, along with Barcelona and Spa, is among the toughest tracks of the season for tyre wear. To cope with this Bridgestone will offer the 'medium' and 'hard' compounds from its 2008 range of Potenza tyres in order to cope with these challenges.

Ambient conditions
As a former airfield, Silverstone is inevitably exposed to the wind - and this can have a big impact on car performance. Gusting wind alters the aerodynamic balance of the car and makes handling unpredictable, particularly in the high-speed corners. The driver must be able to judge the direction and strength of the wind, and adjust his driving accordingly.

Strategy
Fuel consumption is high at Silverstone, as is the time penalty for carrying extra fuel weight. This means that it is a circuit where strategies rarely vary from the norm, as two extra laps of fuel, for example, could cost nearly two tenths per lap. Expect to see most teams running a "standard" two stop strategy, which is generally slightly forward-biased for the front runners in order to ensure good grid position and clean air in which to race in the early stages. With overtaking nearly impossible at this circuit, track position is all-important.

Engine
The Silverstone circuit gives the latest generation of V8 engines a thorough workout with just under 66% of the lap spent at full throttle. This is slightly less demanding than in previous years, largely due to the advent of control tyres from Bridgestone, but the engine still needs to be responsive at high revs as the drivers take the quick corners on either full or partial throttle. In terms of cooling, an extensive test at this circuit in the run up to the Grand Prix means we are well prepared for every eventuality.

Last edited by multi21; 07-03-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks Pete, but you are stepping on Waynes job! :-)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

No intend on stepping on Wayne's job. He's fantastic at what he does. I just get the F1 withdrawls and given that this weekend is going to be busy, I might not be able to follow it as closely as I usually do.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the question becomes... Ferrari, McLaren or BMW? On one hand I'd say McLaren, due to the "home race advantage", low HP dependancy (McLaren is down on power to Ferrari), and high downforce (McLaren seems to struggle more @ low-downforce tracks so far).

However, the bumpy surface, and high tire wear are big issues for McLaren on good days, so I see them being big issues for them here. This swings my vote to Ferrari.

What about BMW? They're moving forward, could we see them beat McLaren on a "even playing field" this week?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
So the question becomes... Ferrari, McLaren or BMW? On one hand I'd say McLaren, due to the "home race advantage", low HP dependancy (McLaren is down on power to Ferrari), and high downforce (McLaren seems to struggle more @ low-downforce tracks so far).

However, the bumpy surface, and high tire wear are big issues for McLaren on good days, so I see them being big issues for them here. This swings my vote to Ferrari.

What about BMW? They're moving forward, could we see them beat McLaren on a "even playing field" this week?
High downforce benefit's from big HP, This will be a Ferrari 1/2 unless errors are made and No! BMW is still behind Mclaren......
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I predict a Kimi comeback but Masa is HOT right now. Wayne how's Fred gonna do?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
I predict a Kimi comeback but Masa is HOT right now. Wayne how's Fred gonna do?
Kimi would've easily had Massa in France, had his exhaust stayed on.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Kimi would've easily had Massa in France, had his exhaust stayed on.
Yes , True ! what about Kimi not being penalized for that same exhaust system, gaining zero points ........

Mike , Fred will try to finish in front of PQ this weekend .....................
Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kimi will change out engine for this weekend, Ferrari will use it's one exemption avoiding a 10 grid spot penalty............but that leaves Kimi exposed for the 2nd half of the year should something happen.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pete
Kimi will change out engine for this weekend, Ferrari will use it's one exemption avoiding a 10 grid spot penalty............but that leaves Kimi exposed for the 2nd half of the year should something happen.
Is it time for an engine change yet? Did the dangling exhaust damage the engine in some way?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the post Pete. Can't wait for the race.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Is it time for an engine change yet? Did the dangling exhaust damage the engine in some way?
Silverstone was supposed to be the 2nd race on that engine. Ferrari tested the engine after the French GP and decided to change it out for Silverstone based on what they found internally after the exhaust mishap.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete
Silverstone was supposed to be the 2nd race on that engine. Ferrari tested the engine after the French GP and decided to change it out for Silverstone based on what they found internally after the exhaust mishap.
It's not hard to believe the engine was damaged... I'm actually quite amazed it lasted the whole race. Besides the fact that the exhaust tip was smashing up the side of the engine (and it's ancillary systems, which for this year fall under the 2 race rule), there was also all that extra heat that was getting stuck under the bodywork. You could actually see burn marks in the engine cover post-race.

Does anyone know where Kimi falls in his transmission rotation? I would be nervous that transmission damage was also caused by that failed exhaust. I imagine Magny-Cours was race #1 on that transmission due to his DNF in Canada.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

David Coulthard to retire at the end of the year. He's had a good run, decent driver, probably stayed a year or 2 over the expiration date. He probably should have made better use of his McLaren package after Mika's retirement. He'll still stay on as a consultant with Red Bull, testing, etc.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Alonso: Kubica best of title contenders

autosport.com

By Jonathan Noble Friday, July 4th 2008, 09:27 GMT

Robert Kubica is the best of the four drivers fighting it out for the world championship this year but Kimi Raikkonen is best placed to win it, claims Fernando Alonso.

With Alonso's own title ambitions all but over for the season, he has no doubts who he believes should win it and who he thinks will triumph in the end.

"I think the best driver for me, of the contenders, is Kubica," explained Alonso at the British Grand Prix.

"I have known him for a long time, from go-karts, and I know that he won every category until Formula One, and he was racing in go-karts with the same opponents as now - with (Nico) Rosberg, with (Lewis) Hamilton, with everybody, and he was the best. And I still think that he is the best now.

"And who is in the best position to get the title? I think it is Raikkonen. If I have to bet for someone, because he has the experience from last year of winning the title, he will be very calm in important moments. And he is in the Ferrari, which I think is the best car at the moment."

Alonso also claims it is no surprise that Hamilton has made more mistakes this year, after his successful debut campaign in 2007, but thinks it is only small errors that have been to blame for his difficulties.

"Yeah, because in the first year you just do whatever and everything is okay, because it is your first time and you just try to enjoy it," said the Spaniard, who was Hamilton's teammate during a troubled spell at McLaren last year.

"The second year is more difficult, but I don't think he has done more mistakes. It's just that this is Formula One. It is not an easy sport and sometimes you are a little bit unlucky and you lose a couple of points. With the lights in Canada ... you brake one metre earlier and you don't crash, and you get some points.

"I think in Bahrain, he had a problem at the start with a button on the steering wheel and you lose too many places. If there are none of these problems, you finish ahead of everybody. So it is these small details and some unlucky moments that put you out of the points, and it's difficult to recover after that."

Quick Reply: '08 British Grand Prix Preview, Predictions and Discussion