Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca June 27th SCCA ITE RACEs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Laguna Seca June 27th SCCA ITE RACEs

100 RACE DAYS ON THE HOLBERT CAR!! Engine hasnt had a bolt turned on it since it was made in 1986!!

I still cant believe how many beatings this car has taken! Its running great, no leaks, no smoke, still near 300rwhp, taken to redline on all shifts, and it just ran 2 of its fastest times this weekend! (1:38.7 - 1:38.8 qual /race). Got to hand it to Porsche!

Race 1: after qualifying 2nd, i held the 550hp camaro and the mighty competition coupe viper until turn 5, then they ran by. The vet , Panos and the mazda got by in traffic, and had to battle with that little ripper for 3 laps and finally got by him and took the entre race to run through traffic, catch a break to get on the bumper of the vet, but its 395rwhp was just too much for the Holbert car and had to settle for 4th. The Panos busted a wheel hub and was out. while the rx7 and turbo NSX with 550hp finished 5-6th. Rylan in the Blown S2000 won the race with a time of 1:37.5.

RACE 2 Sunday: After a fantastic qual session, i was gridded 4th, right next to the NSX wit the vet and RX7 behind . The start was the closest ive been in . we were 3 wide into turn 2, as the big hp NSX blew by out of the traffic jam.
I tailed the NSX for a lap or so, and he broke early for turn 5, just as Rylan in the leader S2000 exploded with a wheel/A-ARM failure, and i got him on the inside and just tried to keep all my laps consistant. (That NSX is FAST. Its faster than Andersons car with a top driver, being 480rwhp and 2600lbs with driver running 1:31s on DOTs in a time trial over the summer with Kip at the wheel)
I was a little faster this weekend due to really using ALL of the holbert engine as i have lately. (always redline shifts). I got some separation from the Vet and started chasing the Competition Couple Viper. He early slowed for turn 2 and got by him on the outside. I led him for about 3 laps and then he started gathering up time on the straights. eventually, down the main straight, he got by. Later, the vet finally figured out how to match my good areas of the track and had his way with me up to turn 6 . I stayed near, but there was no way i was going to catch him again unless I had a big traffic break. the Vet ended up 1 second faster, his best. Randy in his mightly camaro posted his first win in a while since his car was destroyed last year, and his Trimec transimission blew at T-hill.
Rob was second , i was 3rd in class.

The Video turned out great. I put one of the Go Pro cameras on rob's vet, but he coudlnt turn it on before the race. Video coming tomorrow.

I need the stroker!!!!! I think i might be able to be talked into putting it in before next months thunderhill!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for postiing a write-up of your race!

It's time for some more hp under your hood, Mark. I'll be doing the same this summer.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I know! I just dont know if i can do it before the next race? I would hate to do it and get it on the track before proper break in or not be able to finish and get forced out of the points race for our series. right now, its anyones game now that the Blown S2000 broke a suspension part and DNF'ed again!
Ive done it for scot, but it was done over the off season. can i do an engine transplant in 3 weekends? Hmmmmm. 100 bolt on hp with no mods would be nice. (the 6.5 liter short block that the rennlist 928 guys help me put together is sitting in my garage on an engine stand)

mk

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Thanks for postiing a write-up of your race!

It's time for some more hp under your hood, Mark. I'll be doing the same this summer.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is the rear view video of the 2nd race.

http://www.youtube.com/v/wdQtidVjgxA
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

ITE looks like a power war. You need to bring a gun to a gun fight. Wait to the end of the season and get them next year!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great video, Mark! Nicely run race. No get that 6.0 L motor in the car!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Here is race 1. got a good qualifying time, while the 500hp viper and camaro were picking through traffic. so, they picked me off by turn 5. It sure will be nice to have some extra ponies either this season or next!
http://www.youtube.com/v/95yQ6iIIg6Q
Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is the front view out the incar camera\

http://www.youtube.com/v/Sih48Dby9d0

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca June 27th SCCA ITE RACEs