Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Hyperfest '08 Video Sat. Sprint Race GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive racecraft, from you and all those folks. My 928 is GTS4 and I'm looking at doing the NASA race at Road Atlanta in August. It looks like your car is a pretty good judge of top speed in GTS4... what are the specs? What lap times do you run on various tracks (any in the SE)? I can't wait to get racing in GTS.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, great racing! I was there watching/working as an instructor for Hyperdrives on Jefferson. Saw you guys go past every so often. I drove on Summit Main on Fri with my car. Do you guys know what class a 1999 Porsche 996 would fit into? Just curious of course.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Do you guys know what class a 1999 Porsche 996 would fit into?
GTS is based SOLELY on power/weight. You can look up the power/weight ratios on the website for GTS:

http://www.gtschallenge.com/

It's sorta of a crazy classing system, since there's virtually no limit to the modifications you can do to the car assuming it still fits within the NASA safety requirements. The sky is the limit.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bryan..

Gotcha, I see that is Weight/((HP+TQ)/2)

I was just trying to determine where a car like mine would fit and to correlate my lap times on SPR with similar cars. I guess to see if I am in the ballpark or pushing up the back of the pack.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

How your car is prepared can make a big difference in how you do. I carry 120lbs of ballast in my car for PCA that I can take out for NASA (as well as the passenger seat). Your times might vary depending if you are adding or subtracting weight to make a class (and if you can add or subtract weight based on setup).
Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Thanks, and I do realize that the lap time that I can turn all by myself with a nice friendly point by is radically different than on a track full of cars racing closely and taking turns side by side.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Mark, as far as times with other tracks in the SE, I am very limited. Last year in 2007 I went to the PCA Club Race at Road Atlanta. It was the very first time I drove my car after I got it (coming from a 944 GT car) and the first time ever driving Road Atlanta. I also had a not so great gear set in my G50 at the time where I was running out of gear not even at the 1/2 way mark in the long back straight. My best time was a 1:35.5. I think I have another 2-3 seconds (maybe more) from better gearing and seat time in the car.... but you know how that goes. As far as set up... it is just a stock '73 911.

Paul, the formula you posted of Weight/((HP+TQ)/2) is for cars that have torque that exceeds their HP (ie. forced induction turbos and superchargers and American Big Blocks) according to their dyno sheet. Most of us go by the simple Weight/HP formula since our torque is lower then our HP. You have to closely read further down in the rules to interpret this.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul, a 99 would run GTS3 and to be competitive at Summit, you will need to run below 1:23. Your wheel HP should dyno around 260-270. Weight is with driver. Stock 99 should come in at 2900 ### stock seat out, spare out, full cage in, CAT out. Should put you in the ballpark of the proper ratio.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Hey Eric,
Thanks for posting your videos. It gave me the chance to see how rediculous I looked in both of my offs. I was fighting brake fade issues all weekend. At my last NASA race my car was a GTS2 car like Jeff Curtis's (supposedly) but I forgot my ballasts this weekend and decide to give GTS3 a shot. It was a great expierence running with you guys and as soon as I got the car back in the garage and on the lift I proceeded to install a new set of Big Red Brembos. Next week the chip goes in and then the new ring and pinion. I would venture to say that the next time we all meet the outcome might be alittle more favorable for the Porsche!!!! The unfortunate part of this situation is I will now be running in the MUCH faster H class in PCA. Anyway nice to meet you and I hope to race with you again soon. And then maybe we can have some time to BS instead of just shacking hands on the grid.

Tim
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Tim,

From what I've seen, you're already faster than 1/2 the cars in H. ;-)
Are you doing the PCA race at VIR in August?

-KJ
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Hey Eric,
Thanks for posting your videos. It gave me the chance to see how rediculous I looked in both of my offs. I was fighting brake fade issues all weekend. At my last NASA race my car was a GTS2 car like Jeff Curtis's (supposedly) but I forgot my ballasts this weekend and decide to give GTS3 a shot. It was a great expierence running with you guys and as soon as I got the car back in the garage and on the lift I proceeded to install a new set of Big Red Brembos. Next week the chip goes in and then the new ring and pinion. I would venture to say that the next time we all meet the outcome might be alittle more favorable for the Porsche!!!! The unfortunate part of this situation is I will now be running in the MUCH faster H class in PCA. Anyway nice to meet you and I hope to race with you again soon. And then maybe we can have some time to BS instead of just shacking hands on the grid.

Tim
Awesome Tim Was a blast. Will you be trying to make the trek down to VIR in July?

KJ: Arent half the cars in I-class faster than you?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Bob,

Thanks. My car is still a full interior street car but with an updated susp from a GT3 and on Hoosiers. My lap times are right there at 1:23 but I lack all the safety equipment. Unfortunately, right now I can't run more than 6-7 laps at that pace or I start to overheat.

-Paul
Originally Posted by bobt993
Paul, a 99 would run GTS3 and to be competitive at Summit, you will need to run below 1:23. Your wheel HP should dyno around 260-270. Weight is with driver. Stock 99 should come in at 2900 ### stock seat out, spare out, full cage in, CAT out. Should put you in the ballpark of the proper ratio.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:12 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

So thats a good bench mark. We all know road atlanta, or know someone we compete against when they go there. 1:35 is pretty quick. Based on the cars i run out west with that go there, i wonder if i could break 1:36 there? (WC touring cars i run with, that go there often, gives a rough estimation) Last place Speed tourng guys are in the 1:34-5range and those cars generally are comparible to my 928 based on when they frequent tracks out west.

Yes the hp to weight ratio is just that. I was a big part of getting rid of the torque factor when the torque is lower than HP. that clearly wouldnt be fair if you understand all the variables. however they did keep that factor for the bigger torque valued, curves, as what that usually means is that the HP curve is generally flatter, which could be an advantage.

Its a great rule system. wish everyone used it instead of using new car owners manual weights and HPs and making classes from that! (PCA, POC????)

What I really wish is that the series would take off out west. the only refining i would do to the rules is put slicks up a full class, rather than .5 of a point. slicks usually have the advantage of about 1-2 seconds a lap from when ive seen the change done on known entities. take a lot more than .5 of a weight to hp ratio to drop 2 seconds! But the rules are simple and easy to follow and the proof is that it is creating some great even class racing!

Mk

Originally Posted by Bull993tt
Mark, as far as times with other tracks in the SE, I am very limited. Last year in 2007 I went to the PCA Club Race at Road Atlanta. It was the very first time I drove my car after I got it (coming from a 944 GT car) and the first time ever driving Road Atlanta. I also had a not so great gear set in my G50 at the time where I was running out of gear not even at the 1/2 way mark in the long back straight. My best time was a 1:35.5. I think I have another 2-3 seconds (maybe more) from better gearing and seat time in the car.... but you know how that goes. As far as set up... it is just a stock '73 911.

Paul, the formula you posted of Weight/((HP+TQ)/2) is for cars that have torque that exceeds their HP (ie. forced induction turbos and superchargers and American Big Blocks) according to their dyno sheet. Most of us go by the simple Weight/HP formula since our torque is lower then our HP. You have to closely read further down in the rules to interpret this.

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-27-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If he is running 1:35 at road atlanta, he is running like some of the Speed Touring cars at a track near you. sure looked pretty fast on the video!
Got to love the sound!

so, what are the mods of that "stock 911"?

Originally Posted by Red
Impressive racecraft, from you and all those folks. My 928 is GTS4 and I'm looking at doing the NASA race at Road Atlanta in August. It looks like your car is a pretty good judge of top speed in GTS4... what are the specs? What lap times do you run on various tracks (any in the SE)? I can't wait to get racing in GTS.

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-27-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:22 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

LOL!! that was great video too. I cant believe that those GT3RS's go by like you are standing still! those cars are amazing.

nice polite point by with the camaro, and then a nice video shot of his spin out.

mk

Originally Posted by liteswap
Not GTS3 There were a few more Porsches in GTS3 that did not make it. Hopefully they can make VIR. Congrats on your GTS4 win!

Nice seeing you again Derek! We'll have to hangout more next time around. You coming to VIR? I have a garage rented, so swing by and say hi!

BTW, that black SU Porsche was nuts. I was fixated on it's flamethrower exhaust

My race recap and videos are in the following link. The flaming exhaust Porsche is in the Sat race video.

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22713

Race Results: http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=322543

-Eric Wong
-#199 IP/GTS3 M3

Quick Reply: NASA Hyperfest '08 Video Sat. Sprint Race GTS