Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Pagid yellows overkill for DE's ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are Pagid yellows overkill for DE's ?

Since Pagid yellows are endurance pads used on full race cars during races like LeMans and Sebring, are they overkill for weekend DE's where the longest session is probably 30 minutes? Would there even be enough heat generated to use the yellows to full advantage? Or would the short sessions just add to the pads longevity and still be in the proper heat range? Do you feel there is a better choice? If yes, what and why?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Pagid Rs 19 or 29 yellow are ideal for DE. Stock pads do not stand up to the heat of repeated braking by a good driver. They are also fine on the street unless you drive in temps less than 40 degrees. They last a lot longer on the track than oem pads and are rotor friendly. What's not to like?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Since Pagid yellows are endurance pads used on full race cars during races like LeMans and Sebring, are they overkill for weekend DE's where the longest session is probably 30 minutes? Would there even be enough heat generated to use the yellows to full advantage? Or would the short sessions just add to the pads longevity and still be in the proper heat range? Do you feel there is a better choice? If yes, what and why?
it depends. if you are in novice group. stock pads are fine.
if you are in hi intermediate or advance, oem pads will not stop you very well and they wear out very very fast. i got to the backing in 200 miles of track use. (granted it's a very brake heavy track). when i say "backing" i mean it. i have zero pad material left.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I use RS19 (yellow) on the front and RS14 (black) on the back as per the suggestion of Monsieur Rouleau. Works like a charm.

Most guys I know use Yellows all around with GT3s.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through RS19's and just swapped to 29's, the 19's and yellows in general were perfect with the GT3 cup steel rotors!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I use RS19 (yellow) on the front and RS14 (black) on the back as per the suggestion of Monsieur Rouleau. Works like a charm.

I had also followed Mr. Rouleau's advice on my RSA but will try RS29 and 19 for the 996..... According to Chris R., it seems to work beautifully on his CS (same calipers Fr and Rr as my 996).
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on your level of driving .... but once you begin intermediate level you should be running more of a performance pads, however changing pads to higher temp pad you should/ ( my opinion Must) change brake fluid... i would recomend Motul or i happen to use SRF.. but higher temp of pads and rotors will I promise cook your stock fluid.

I ran pagid yellows front black rear and never had a problem with braking on any corner on any track, i wouldnt change them if i drove on the street they can make a hell of of a noise but WTF the exhaust note, roll bar and harnesses would tell folks its not a typ. street car

the yellow black combo just helped balance the braking and gave the rear a lil more bite
Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I run yellows front and back for the track. Some run yellow front and black rear but that only works better for the more front biased 996 cars. The yellows work just fine on the street but are very noisy so I just swap out pads when swaping wheels for the track. Changing pads is fast than changing wheels.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Pagid Rs 19 or 29 yellow are ideal for DE. Stock pads do not stand up to the heat of repeated braking by a good driver. They are also fine on the street unless you drive in temps less than 40 degrees. They last a lot longer on the track than oem pads and are rotor friendly. What's not to like?
Exactly
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am using SRF.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

*Quick flag about the stock pads and novices.

Most novice/intermediate drivers I've seen, brakes inconsistently and drags the brakes. They actually wear down the brakes quicker and tear the softer compounds (like stock) quicker.

Regarding fluid, used mostly SRF and Motul - both worked like a charm
Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

+1
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I run yellows front and back for the track. Some run yellow front and black rear but that only works better for the more front biased 996 cars. The yellows work just fine on the street but are very noisy so I just swap out pads when swaping wheels for the track. Changing pads is fast than changing wheels.
I intend to use your change-out method. Question: what do you do with the vibration dampeners? Buy new ones for the track pads or leave scrape them off and them in as you change pads?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
I intend to use your change-out method. Question: what do you do with the vibration dampeners? Buy new ones for the track pads or leave scrape them off and them in as you change pads?
Toss them..
Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
The vibration dampeners do not work with the Pagid Yellows (RS29) because the pads are thick. I do not use them at all. I reinstall them with the stock pads by taking off the sticky backing so they slide in and out with the stock pads.

Quick Reply: Are Pagid yellows overkill for DE's ?