Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Pagid yellows overkill for DE's ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm running the same car you are... I'd NEVER run any other pad... The Pagid Yellows wear well, are rotor friendly, and just solid stoppers, especially in our heavy TTs! I ran them with the stock rotor/caliper setup, and now run them at all four wheels with my upgraded brakes... Their rotor-friendly nature is why I'll never run anything but Pagid Yellows...

Mike

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Since Pagid yellows are endurance pads used on full race cars during races like LeMans and Sebring, are they overkill for weekend DE's where the longest session is probably 30 minutes? Would there even be enough heat generated to use the yellows to full advantage? Or would the short sessions just add to the pads longevity and still be in the proper heat range? Do you feel there is a better choice? If yes, what and why?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a yellow student at Watkins Glen for two days in a 997 GT3 that he was sharing with his Dad, who runs in Black. The stock pads were toast, half-way through the second day. There is a reason that most of us swap out the stock pads almost immediately.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'm running the same car you are... I'd NEVER run any other pad... The Pagid Yellows wear well, are rotor friendly, and just solid stoppers, especially in our heavy TTs! I ran them with the stock rotor/caliper setup, and now run them at all four wheels with my upgraded brakes... Their rotor-friendly nature is why I'll never run anything but Pagid Yellows...

Mike
Mike, I just did a website search on two Pagid distributors. I can't find the part numbers for the yellows for the 996 TT/C4S fronts. Where do you get yours for the stock rotor/caliper??

I did find the right sizes in either Pagid Black or Pagid Orange. Which one between the two would anyone here choose to replace the yellows that I can't seem to find?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Mike, I just did a website search on two Pagid distributors. I can't find the part numbers for the yellows for the 996 TT/C4S fronts. Where do you get yours for the stock rotor/caliper??

I did find the right sizes in either Pagid Black or Pagid Orange. Which one between the two would anyone here choose to replace the yellows that I can't seem to find?
I'll PM the site, can't post it here for some reason.

U2474 $304.20 Applications:
Front: All 996 Turbo, 1999-2001 Mk 1 GT3, 2005 & on 997 Carrera 'S', (not for 997 Turbo)

U2405 $284.20 (still lowest possible price) Applications:
Rear: 2000-present 996 Turbo, 1997 thru 2004 Super Cup, GT2 & GT3, 2005 & on 997 Carrera 'S'
NOT for 997 GT3 or 997 Turbo rear

-td
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

Yea, I tried to as well... Don't know what's up with that...

Some guys use Pagid blacks on the back to help provide better rear bite... I just upgraded to the larger 997TT rear rotor instead. Don't know if it helped or not... I'd not use the Pagid Oranges... Had a lot of problems with those and pad material buildup, and then rotor wear as well...

Call Craig at 425-765-1090. He's the best and I can't beat his price anywhere!
Mike
Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. Will get right on it.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried for a few years as I was learning this sport to find a "compromise" pad - one that is quiet on the street, while hearty on the track. Doesn't exist. The closest thing I found so far is the stock 997GT3 pads, but as Rick pointed out earlier, after 1.5 days of me in Black and Ted in a "fast" Yellow (with an expert coach), the rears were toast. Amazingly, they did not glaze up, just wore down and once they were thin at the rear, they couldn't hold on.

I ran PFC 97s and Pagid Yellow / Black on my 997S and found them comparable, just different characteristics. I wouldn't say either was better, but I will say the PFCs were much less expensive and required zero bedding in process. Both dusted heavily, were about the same on the rotors, etc. After talking with many experts, I went Yellow / Black to give more bite to the rear - the 997S was notoriously front brake biased and the Black in back helped even things out.

Depending on the car, swapping pads / wheels & tires out for a DE can be easy and quick. With the 997S I had it down to 45 minutes tops. With the GT3 it's not going to be that easy as the calipers have to be removed. So, I'm thinking I'll put the Yellows in (front and back, GT3 isn't as front brake biased as the S was) and leave them there and hope they don't squeal like a school bus like they did on the S.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
after 1.5 days of me in Black and Ted in a "fast" Yellow (with an expert coach), the rears were toast.
TC turned on?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Ron, all the GT3's that DE with me are useing the yellows front and back just so you know. I found that the PFC97's transfered a lot of heat to the calipers and I turned my red to a dark purplish marron on my calipers. Never had that happen with Pagids.

The 2007-08 997S supposedly have more rear brake bias than the 996S and 2005 997S I have been told by my shop.

Your new GT3 is awesome with the Volks on! HAve you found that you like the 19" better than the 18" wheels on the 997S and GT3?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I left all of the systems on "normal", so that would mean TC was left on, sport was off, PASM was normal. Zero indication by either feel or visual (blinking light) that TC ever kicked on - there was no slip anyway. Just over-cooked the stock pads with 6.5 hours of Watkins Glen.

Mike - I think both Yellow / Yellow and Yellow / Black are probably just fine, but produce slightly different braking feel. Must work that way because the Blacks bite a little more and sooner. There's no wrong answer here, but race shops that know me suggested the Blacks for back.

I liked the 18" Fikses and shaved RA1s best on the 997S. Can't really compare on the GT3, but I'd have to believe that the 18" format really is the way to go on the 997 platform. Now if we could just get an 18" real PSCup with a 26.3" rear diameter...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
I left all of the systems on "normal", so that would mean TC was left on, sport was off, PASM was normal. Zero indication by either feel or visual (blinking light) that TC ever kicked on - there was no slip anyway. Just over-cooked the stock pads with 6.5 hours of Watkins Glen.
It's a bit of a mystery. I've had a discussion about this already with Porsche and they confirmed that rear pads go quicker with the TC on. Just as you said TC doesn't seem to kick in, still I've seen several rear pads wear quicker than normal. I'm not familiar with the TC programing, so I don't know when it triggers the light.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On the 996 the brake bias was such that the fronts did too much of the work. This can be compensated by using the RS 19 or 29 in front and the RS 14 in back. The 14's make the rear brakes work harder which improves the brake balance and makes the front rotors last longer.

On the 997 Porsche has corrected the brake bias and I suggest using the RS 19 (or 29 they are very similar) all around. If you want more braking use the 14s all around but there is no need to change the brake bias on the 997 GT3.

TC is quite intrusive on the 997 GT3. I can fel it in places where it isn't needed. I turn it off unless conditions are really gnarly - heavy rain for exmple.

Best,

Best
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hmm, if TC were kicking in without me or my son knowing, I'd expect to see, feel, and / or hear some evidence. The rear rotors show no sign of an ABS like pattern, no glazing, etc. Also, there were no situations where you would think TC would kick in - both days were fairly uneventful except for the one "side-to-side" twist and shout I had when I was the guy to discover the oiled line from T2 up the Esses. I'm not doubting, just wondering is all. I noticed that the front stock pads were painted yellow and the rear not painted any particular color (or I didn't notice if they were dark blue or black). So I'm wondering what exactly I had on the car when I took delivery (car had 7300 miles on it and 90-95% new pads).

I concluded the same with respect to the 997GT3 - no need to fiddle with bias, just use 29s all around.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With Pagid yellows on the front and blacks on the rear, do these pads wear at the same rate so that you are not needing to waste one or the other at changing time?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 480 Posts

yellow 19s here all around...used them on both the 996tt and the 996gt3...work amazingly. I also use SRF.

Quick Reply: Are Pagid yellows overkill for DE's ?