Sponsored by:

Infineon Raceway questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no curbing at turn 11, just some paint on the pavement. When we run there are stacks of tires to keep you in the corner, as long as you don't hit them, you are fine (I didn't watch the NASCAR race so I can't comment on what they did).
Old 06-23-2008, 05:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
I'm guessing he's talking about the hairpin before the front straight - turn 11. Track out is basically the wall. It's always interesting as you're coming around looking for track out and seeing all the marks and paint on the wall...
Ah, that makes sense as well. I was talking about that one turn where they track out ACROSS the entire curbing (car bouncing and all) and then make a HARD right to get back on course before hitting the wall head on.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Ah, that makes sense as well. I was talking about that one turn where they track out ACROSS the entire curbing (car bouncing and all) and then make a HARD right to get back on course before hitting the wall head on.
He talking about the Nascar chute leading to our T7. There was some curbing there that they were running on both sides of and having to jump back before they got to the wall before T7
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Jerry, that's the one! Man that was scary to watch every time they came just inches frmo the wall bouncing away like they were on pogo sticks.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimculp
Did anyone catch the pedal camera showing Montoya's footwork? He was left foot braking, but he never moved his foot over to the clutch. Does the COT have a semi-auto box or something? I didn't even see a third pedal in the shot.
They explained that since they use straight cut gears all that is needed is a short throttle blip to "bang" it into gear. The said that the clutch was really only used to leave the pit box.

That was pretty cool....also why they were saying the Kasey Kahne was ok even though his clutch was screwed up. I think that later proved untrue, but I guess that was he concept.

Yes, I was referring to T11 (I just pulled up the official track map). They really slowed down for that turn.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry, that's the one! Man that was scary to watch every time they came just inches frmo the wall bouncing away like they were on pogo sticks.
That corner is a blast to drive. Launch over burm then hustle it back to the right to miss the wall...yeeehaaaaw!.....We don't get to run it often..usually the test day before the NASCAR weekend is all...
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Sears Point is very fun... and don't forget the Porsche Racing Club (PRC) will be there this weekend. I have run the NASCAR configuration... it is interesting but not as fun as running the carousel. As most of you could probably tell, it can be a somewhat dangerous track. For example, at least 5 people were killed there in '98, but since then there have been a lot of safety improvements. I have seen all sorts of wrecks there, and watched a friend helicoptered out as recently as last fall. There are some cool PRC videos you can find on line, for example, there is one of a driver in our Spec 911 series and another one of two GT combatants going back and forth.

Interesting comments comparing Mark's 928 to the NASCAR machines... those things are just really heavy and have skinny tires compared to many of our Porsche GT cars. They would not be able to keep up with our fastest GT cars, despite the big V8 power.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's a reason the only people to run that part of the track is Nascar !
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JerryW
And now I find out there are others -- O well. I'd love to see them on the traditional track with Turn 6 and the hairpin turn 7
Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

such a strang place to put a birm, its almost like a car pool lane!

I wonder if they knew folks would be strattling it and then ducking back in before the wall. very cool to watch, but i liked them better on the old track.
Mk

Originally Posted by JerryW
Old 06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I do remember when nascar was running the tradition track that we all run now. Remember ALMS running near 1:37-8s for GT2? Thats about what Nascar was doing. still a pretty quick clip. Hey, there is a V8 porsche that has run 1:39.9 (Anderson's 928 stroker monster) I think Stefanowitz was running in the 1:37s almost always, but he hasnt been out for a while.

They do have pretty skinny , but real sticky tires though. Did you see them through the "S's"? OMG, they were lifing that inside tire about 1 foot off the ground. it was very strange to see. These things have some stick and some muscle behind them!

Here is a video from our season opener at Infinion Raceway. It was the season opener for SCCA ITE this year. still in the 1:49s (best 1:47.9) but then again, the car hasnt changed a bit in 7 years. not even an alignment!

http://www.vimeo.com/907502

Mk

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Sears Point is very fun... and don't forget the Porsche Racing Club (PRC) will be there this weekend. I have run the NASCAR configuration... it is interesting but not as fun as running the carousel. As most of you could probably tell, it can be a somewhat dangerous track. For example, at least 5 people were killed there in '98, but since then there have been a lot of safety improvements. I have seen all sorts of wrecks there, and watched a friend helicoptered out as recently as last fall. There are some cool PRC videos you can find on line, for example, there is one of a driver in our Spec 911 series and another one of two GT combatants going back and forth.

Interesting comments comparing Mark's 928 to the NASCAR machines... those things are just really heavy and have skinny tires compared to many of our Porsche GT cars. They would not be able to keep up with our fastest GT cars, despite the big V8 power.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about that one turn were they go all the way across the rumble strip and then dart back to the right quickly to avoid a head-on into the wall?
yep: that was way cool. I would love to have the stones AND skill to do that
Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And then there's the total abortion of a configuration that IRL runs (the bike config). Where they.......well, just go look at a track map to see how they chicane down 9, then bypass real T11 to just a 180 around the infield tower. Old ALMS cars could handle the full track; someone explain to me why IRL cant'?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

dont forget the short turn7 vs the long turn 7.

The bikes and IRL using the removed turn11 config (turn 11 now well shorter right after turn 10 in bike and IRL config) , is probably due to trying to keep the cars in view of the grandstands as well as having a few hundred feet of run out if someone was to lose their brakes. (turn 11 has walls, buildings,etc)

mk

Originally Posted by race911
And then there's the total abortion of a configuration that IRL runs (the bike config). Where they.......well, just go look at a track map to see how they chicane down 9, then bypass real T11 to just a 180 around the infield tower. Old ALMS cars could handle the full track; someone explain to me why IRL cant'?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
dont forget the short turn7 vs the long turn 7.

The bikes and IRL using the removed turn11 config (turn 11 now well shorter right after turn 10 in bike and IRL config) , is probably due to trying to keep the cars in view of the grandstands as well as having a few hundred feet of run out if someone was to lose their brakes. (turn 11 has walls, buildings,etc)

mk
Which is a problem for IRL cars v. the ALMS (and former IMSA) cars that were sub-1:20 on the full track? I remember, I think, Jim Crawford and even Al Unser Jr before he got to CART, in those 5.0 Can Am ground effects cars 25 years ago well under 1:30, too. Full track, pre-repaving.

Quick Reply: Infineon Raceway questions