Racelogic PBOX data overlay with HD in-car video

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Racelogic PBOX data overlay with HD in-car video

I just recently discovered VBO Replay, which creates an animated replay from a Performance Box VBO output file. After creating the VBO Replay animation, I screen captured it into a movie format, and then layered that movie on top of in-car video from the same lap. The result is here:

TWS - June '08 PBOX data overlay

It doesn't automatically sync with the in-car video like the more integrated alternatives, and since my video camera dropped a few frames here and there, it took some experimenting to get the two movies aligned. But total investment was just the cost of the PBOX, which was $US499...you get what you pay for. For some reason, the VBO overlay on Vimeo is not semi-transparent and a little blurry compared to my local version (something about their encoding of multi-layer video, perhaps).

I can make some minor conclusions that I would not have made by looking at the video and PBOX data separately, but since it sometimes seems as though many of you can spot apexes that are missed by an inch - in grainy youtube videos - surely someone can get more out of this than I can. I'd be interested in observations or suggestions for improvement; it might help me get more out of the PBOX data myself over time...

I give a thumbs up to Racelogic... I had a problem with the first unit they shipped and they went the extra mile to get me a replacement in a hurry. It's been great for real-time data at the track, but with VBO Replay, it now has even more utility at no extra cost.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Cool! Couple things jump out, I will look at it again tomorrow since I am about to go to bed.

-your line off the banking & into 15 doesn't work well for your car; it's too low IMO and you end up having to do too much steering angle to actualy get to 15's apex; let's discuss this next event

-need to get on the gas briefly as you release brakes & are about to apex 15; this would be easier with a higher entry line

-need a bit more throttle w/wheel straight between 11 and 10

-get off brake & back to gas sooner in 9; you should be on throttle at turn in

-work on your ***** lift into 7; it's throwing a lot of negative longitudunal g's; smooth it out so it is, at worst, a 0 g event

-brake slightly sooner & release slightly sooner, and then get back to gas slightly sooner in 4; too much negative g's at turn in

--looks nice elsewhere!

EDIT: corrected my typo where I put "8" instead of "9"

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-20-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

John Gladwell let me ride with him just prior to this run, which made me aware of how much more speed I could carry from 10 to 11; you should have seen how slow I was earlier in the day! This one needs practice - on a different lap I had more throttle, and then went too deep (duh!) and ended up understeering my way thru the rest of the carousel.

I think 8 and 7 have the same root cause. You named it.

Catching the negative g's at turn-in to 4 is a good example of the kind of combined analysis I was asking for; thanks! That was not a case of trail braking into the turn, for example, it was a case of not preparing for earlier throttle - something I wouldn't have caught.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Cassandra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear your review. I'm picking two of these up this month on a group buy (one for personal, one for business). I borrowed one for a few laps at a casual lapping day last month... it was the first time I was ever able to see a lap time for myself, which did wonders for my confidence/perseverance. I'm really looking forward to discovering all of the features with some first hand data.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
John Gladwell let me ride with him just prior to this run, which made me aware of how much more speed I could carry from 10 to 11; you should have seen how slow I was earlier in the day! This one needs practice - on a different lap I had more throttle, and then went too deep (duh!) and ended up understeering my way thru the rest of the carousel.

I think 8 and 7 have the same root cause. You named it.

Catching the negative g's at turn-in to 4 is a good example of the kind of combined analysis I was asking for; thanks! That was not a case of trail braking into the turn, for example, it was a case of not preparing for earlier throttle - something I wouldn't have caught.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Doesn't Trackvision do the same thing? Maye it doesn't work with Racelogic? Tony?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TrackVision has been working with Racelogic for quite a while now. They added a specific TrackVision export to Racelogic Tools in 2006 to make it dead easy for the user.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In that case, I really need in-car help there. I miss that apex more than any other for some reason, so I'm slowing down for it. Also can't get a feel for 9-to-8 as a sequence, and am probably driving each one independently.

Interesting, since I've take 8-to-9 like a bat out of hell going CCW ever since I was a green student (and it's where I always sneak up on mglobe!).
Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Doesn't Trackvision do the same thing? Maye it doesn't work with Racelogic? Tony?
DIY isn't for everyone, but in my case saved me a few hundred dollars.

Tony,

The last time I looked at TrackVision, I thought it did not support HD 1080i video (my camera's output), or work on a Mac. From the product literature, it infers 1080i support via the H.264 codec, but it's not explicit regarding 1080i for input or output. I now have Parallels w Windows Vista, so it sounds like I could get a slight improvement in features and ease of use for $195 as long as 1080i is supported. Is that correct? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
In that case, I really need in-car help there. I miss that apex more than any other for some reason, so I'm slowing down for it. Also can't get a feel for 9-to-8 as a sequence, and am probably driving each one independently.

Interesting, since I've take 8-to-9 like a bat out of hell going CCW ever since I was a green student (and it's where I always sneak up on mglobe!).
When we run CW, you need to turn in to 9 a lot earlier than you think in order to fully utilize the grip of the concrete inside apron, which really helps rotate most cars.

In addition, the apex of 8 is a lot later than most folks realize when going CW: it is at the point where the black surface meets the gray surface at track right (apex). There is a small corner of black/gray contrast which is the real apex. You can see it in your videos. Most folks apex 3'-6' before that, and really **** themselves all the way to 6.

Next time we go CW, I will get in yoru car, and we can work on this and the approach to 15.

Quick Reply: Racelogic PBOX data overlay with HD in-car video