Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why PCA has advanced instructors

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

marcus: hang in there and find a good coach. register in a group that requires an instructor what ever it takes.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by MCain
NASA Texas could definitely stand to have more and better instructors. If I had more time, I'd step up and try to help with the DE program there. Though to be fair, when I started with LSRPCA back in the 90's, it was at least as rough and in need of improvement as any DE org in Texas right now. It takes time to get to the level of quality that LSRPCA has now, and I'm really impressed with the talent they have on tap. Going to that Advanced Instructor clinic a while back was very educational.
Yup, you are right. However, these days, with ambulance chasing lawyers for the first time tasting big money settlements from DE organizers for bad and/or fatal crashes due to negligence and/or lack of proper instruction, any DE organizer has to go the extra mile to protect his/her customers. It's not a matter of if...it's a matter of when there is a fatal wreck. This is why I stopped instructing TDE--it seemed as if the "when" was getting a lot closer way too fast.

None of us want track time to disappear. PCA seems to have jumped into the lead, with BMW club, regarding safety & making sure all levels get proper instruction.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MCain
........................Though to be fair, when I started with LSRPCA back in the 90's, it was at least as rough and in need of improvement as any DE org in Texas right now. ..............
So? It isn't the '90s, and any organization that is acting as if it is needs to shut down! Track time is impossible to come by where I live. We don't need the "hardly ables" screwing up our fun.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
MCain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
So? It isn't the '90s, and any organization that is acting as if it is needs to shut down! Track time is impossible to come by where I live. We don't need the "hardly ables" screwing up our fun.
I assume that, being Rennlist, most of you are PCA instructors, and I bet damn good ones. If you really want to make a difference in this hobby/sport of ours, I'd encourage you to get out to some of these other organizations and lend your time and talent to bringing them up to the same high standards. The more good organizations we have out there and the more drivers we bring into the hobby, the better off we'll all be in the long run.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:39 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

OK...in the spirit of helping here are my comments to your video:

1. You are on R-tires, probably not really ready for them. You post on the tittle that you did a 2.08, ummm that is not exactly fast but it has the underline message that you want to show off. Not good.

2. Turn 1. You lift and go unloaded on the transition. You do not really follow the safe DE line, where you land ( close if not stepping on the blend line by the way) is a bit tricky with a big bump that unsettles the car. You need to breath the throttle set the car and back on it through the transition.

3. Turn 2. You stay off the throttle too much loosing speed. The line is not bad.

4. Turn 3. You apex early and you completely miss the apex anyway.

5. Turn 4. It looks like you try to trailbrake, you mess up by turning early and not settling the car properly so it understeers on you, end result you loose too much speed and turn 4 has produced some unforgettable excursions as it is slippery with 2 different traction surfaces. The patch at the entry and the rest of the corner.

6. Turn 5 its a throwaway, which you need to take it right for turn 6.

7. Turn 6, one of the most important corners. I can still hear my instructor telling me, wait for it wait for it see that dirt patch on the right and turn. You on the other hand are not ready as you did not setup properly, you turn a tad early and you still dont dive to the apex which has that great negative camber, which in turn slingshoot you on full throttle to the straight.

8. Turn 7. The potentially deadly turn. You lift way to much. You go unloaded and pick up the throttle at the apex. Not only you loose too much speed, but you potentially go unloaded and will cause a spin. Come to think of it, you had your pucker moment there to prove my point.

9. Turn 8 and 9 complex. You got to stay tight to the left on 8 in order to make full use of th next straight. On 9 you got to put your right wheel on the cement patch and be on full throttle much earlier. None of those things you did.

10. The carousel. Rookie mistake, you go in tooo hot. Your car understeers like an SOB and you have to scrub speed in order to do what you know you need to which is to stay to the extreme right parallel.

11. Turn 11 was actually good.

12. Turn 12. You stay off the throttle too much as you are on the limit in 3rd. Upshift to 4th, breath the throttle right before you turn in and then back on it flat on 4th. Instead you stayed on high gear with a nervous car , half throttle through the apex and slower speed.

13. The Esses. Coming in too hot on 13 you have to stay off the throttle to barely be able to navigate through 13 and 14. You finally pick up the throttle at 15 which is way too late by the way.

So that is my critic. SLOW DOWN, to go faster.

Hope the peanut gallery who are more experienced than I am will make better comments
Old 06-17-2008, 11:39 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK...in the spirit of helping here are my comments to your video:

1. You are on R-tires, probably not really ready for them. You post on the tittle that you did a 2.08, ummm that is not exactly fast but it has the underline message that you want to show off. Not good.

2. Turn 1. You lift and go unloaded on the transition. You do not really follow the safe DE line, where you land ( close if not stepping on the blend line by the way) is a bit tricky with a big bump that unsettles the car. You need to breath the throttle set the car and back on it through the transition.

3. Turn 2. You stay off the throttle too much loosing speed. The line is not bad.

4. Turn 3. You apex early and you completely miss the apex anyway.

5. Turn 4. It looks like you try to trailbrake, you mess up by turning early and not settling the car properly so it understeers on you, end result you loose too much speed and turn 4 has produced some unforgettable excursions as it is slippery with 2 different traction surfaces. The patch at the entry and the rest of the corner.

6. Turn 5 its a throwaway, which you need to take it right for turn 6.

7. Turn 6, one of the most important corners. I can still hear my instructor telling me, wait for it wait for it see that dirt patch on the right and turn. You on the other hand are not ready as you did not setup properly, you turn a tad early and you still dont dive to the apex which has that great negative camber, which in turn slingshoot you on full throttle to the straight.

8. Turn 7. The potentially deadly turn. You lift way to much. You go unloaded and pick up the throttle at the apex. Not only you loose too much speed, but you potentially go unloaded and will cause a spin. Come to think of it, you had your pucker moment there to prove my point.

9. Turn 8 and 9 complex. You got to stay tight to the left on 8 in order to make full use of th next straight. On 9 you got to put your right wheel on the cement patch and be on full throttle much earlier. None of those things you did.

10. The carousel. Rookie mistake, you go in tooo hot. Your car understeers like an SOB and you have to scrub speed in order to do what you know you need to which is to stay to the extreme right parallel.

11. Turn 11 was actually good.

12. Turn 12. You stay off the throttle too much as you are on the limit in 3rd. Upshift to 4th, breath the throttle right before you turn in and then back on it flat on 4th. Instead you stayed on high gear with a nervous car , half throttle through the apex and slower speed.

13. The Esses. Coming in too hot on 13 you have to stay off the throttle to barely be able to navigate through 13 and 14. You finally pick up the throttle at 15 which is way too late by the way.

So that is my critic. SLOW DOWN, to go faster.

Man I miss TWS Hope the peanut gallery who are more experienced than I am will make better comments
Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Great post(s) from Danny!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJF1
1. You are on R-tires, probably not really ready for them.
Those are not r-comps, they're street tires.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:54 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
that was helpful
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

You asked for constructive feedback. I would say you should seek to attend DE or HPDE with a group that has good instructors. Seek someone out. I attribute the fact that I have learned and grown as a driver to my instruction with PCA. I had a bad spin on my first weekend and didn't have a clue why. My instructor explained and helped to reign me in. You will progress much faster with an instructor than w/o. It's not ego just the facts.

Mike
Old 06-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by roberga
that was helpful
I do believe my post was more helpful than these gems of yours.
future Honda donor parts. hopefully he does not collect someone else
what is the worst that could have happened? Take out a couple of Hondas.
the guy can't drive.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Greg, his first gem was spot on IMO.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

roberga, lets see your driving? Post a vid.

You know what they say: those who can't, sit back and make douchebag comments online
Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
the R-1's are not R tires? Did I miss something?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Greg, his first gem was spot on IMO.
So because he spun twice he's going to wreck his car and maybe hurt someone else in the process? Please. I know you've seen spins in my videos and you never chastised me for them like you and others have done to this guy in this thread. Instead of making a thread on RL(which I'm still not sure the point of it was, because it doesn't seem like it was the importance of AI)), why not send him a message on youtube and offer him some pointers and maybe instruction at a future event? You've always been helpful in my driving, why don't you do the same for this guy?

Originally Posted by DJF1
the R-1's are not R tires? Did I miss something?
In the video it said Toyo Proxes T1R
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...category=sport

Quick Reply: This is why PCA has advanced instructors