Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frist DE Outing...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

White for you Patrick is our Yellow for us and I TOTALLY agree with you! The student has a good grasp of the line and they are really starting to push the car but they still don't have that seat of the pants feel or car control that they will eventually get...thus they spin a lot.

I had a student one time in the blue group in a 996 Cab. We went out for the first session and were just chatting as we circulated the track and I noticed that I never had to tell him where to drive and he was not sweating and he was catching EVERYONE! I asked at the end of the second session how many times he had been to a DE??? He said it was his 11th or 12th weekend! I was said, "Why in the hell am I sitting here???" I told him I would ride with him one more time and getting him solo in the yellow group after that.

So, I told him he had one problem spot at turn 7 (TWS) and that I wanted to work with him a bit on it... We worked on it for those last two sessions. We moved him to yellow and I told him to watch out at T7 because he was pushing it a little hard and it was a bad place to loose the car and to just watch out and really FEEL the car...

So, Sunday I am working black flag and just after lunch who rolls in???? My student...where did he go off? T7! That is my big yellow spin story...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM
looney2n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's understandable that a student would get so excited after his first ever event, and getting signed off for a couple of sessions, to him, was a big accomplishment. I don't think anyone who'se ever been in his shoes would look back and see any different, at that time.

Looking back in two years he'll shake his head and think how lucky he was that sensory overload didn't take over and put him off course and in a bad situation. This is a risk, a gamble and one that I think should be taken in Blue run group, not green.
I need not wait......................I have been doing a lot of thinking about it already!!!

When I went Green Solo, we left the grid in pairs and was behind a more experienced Blue Solo driver. I was staying with him but never gained on him through the first 5 turns and then the kink. I knew then that I did not want to "push it" beyond the limit I had some comfort with.

I was actually noting the different line he was taking while concentrating on my car, my line and the safety of others.

Thanks for your comments, and yes it did seem like an accomplishment, but I was not going to let it build any undeserved confidence.

I am already shaking my head about it.........yes, I was proud, but not stupid!!!

In fact, I did hit some speeds a little faster than earlier in the day and brake a bit harder, but just enough to feel the slight difference. Still, I was thinking about some of the videos I have seen with new cars leaving the pavement and ending up in the tires. I'm not going to be pushing that hard.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
A question for those of you that were signed off to solo while still in Green. What were you driving at the time?
2002 C4S - signed off to solo after first session of second day.

Quick Reply: Frist DE Outing...........