Racing Fitness

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
This past weekend we ran at Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord, NC and temp was around 90-93 I'd say. I started each day off by sucking down a 1L bottle of PediaLyte during the drivers meeting, and then I'd drink another one around 2:00 or so, combined with about 2 bananas during the day, and a ton of water, and I felt good.
Brian
Is it just me, or did the reference to "a ton of water" dilute the precision offered on the other facts?

Is 93 considered hot for NC? The forecast temp for an event this coming weekend in north Texas is 102! I think at some point, just taking it easy is going to have better results than ingesting tons of water...

BTW, a ton of water is approx. 240 gallons
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pre race dinner: Anything fried and lots of it. Veggies only if they're out of a can with lots of preservatives. After that, Buds. I mean, Dale Jr. wouldn't have a sponsor that wouldn't make him faster would he?
I try and start thinking about slowing down after 12 or so beers if the race is the next day, particularly after midnight.
Breakfast: Fried eggs, bacon, ham waffle and SYRUP.
Lunch. Double cheesburger from track side with side of fries. I try to get BP to around 170/100 as I've found my syesight is keener and I'm quicker thinking with the added pressure.
Between races. Pretty much the same without the 12 beer limit.
I'm currently racing in NASA GTS-4 but am hoping to make it to GTS-2 without having to add any weight or other modification to the car
j/k
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pat056
Pre race dinner: Anything fried and lots of it. Veggies only if they're out of a can with lots of preservatives. After that, Buds. I mean, Dale Jr. wouldn't have a sponsor that wouldn't make him faster would he?
I try and start thinking about slowing down after 12 or so beers if the race is the next day, particularly after midnight.
Breakfast: Fried eggs, bacon, ham waffle and SYRUP.
Lunch. Double cheesburger from track side with side of fries. I try to get BP to around 170/100 as I've found my syesight is keener and I'm quicker thinking with the added pressure.
Between races. Pretty much the same without the 12 beer limit.
I'm currently racing in NASA GTS-4 but am hoping to make it to GTS-2 without having to add any weight or other modification to the car
j/k
Are you from south Louisiana???
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point was simply that in the past, on days with similar temps/heat index, I've drank tons of water, tried to eat non-fatty foods, etc, still haven't felt well at the end of the day.

I think, as others have mentioned, I wasn't replenishing my body with the electrolytes I was expending, so the PediaLyte really helped me out there (it seemed - all other factors remaining the same pretty much).

Ton of water should be changed to about 8 bottles of bottled water (16 oz) per day.

Brian
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
MTosi
User

This is one topic where I love being 18, in shape, 5'11, 165lbs, a hockey player, and can do a 3 miler in 19 minutes it's nice being young, you don't have to think about racing fitness that much!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Mtosi, the worst part of youth is that it does not last forever ! Darn !
Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

My point was simply that in the past, on days with similar temps/heat index, I've drank tons of water, tried to eat non-fatty foods, etc, still haven't felt well at the end of the day.

I think, as others have mentioned, I wasn't replenishing my body with the electrolytes I was expending, so the PediaLyte really helped me out there (it seemed - all other factors remaining the same pretty much).

Ton of water should be changed to about 8 bottles of bottled water (16 oz) per day.

Brian
Not to worry, that was understood. In fact, electrolyte replacement has such a big impact for me, nothing else in my diet on top of that has an effect (good or bad).
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Nah, the worst part of youth is that the mind can still remember it long after it's gone!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

+1 ervtx!!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
What! are you saying I won't be young forever you sure?..hmmm...well you must be one of those jealous older people I don't trust lying to me.. I'm going to young forever! (the best part of youth, ignorance of fact it won't last forever )
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Brian

I've found it helps to drink more water the day leading up to an event so that you're ahead of the game when you get there...
Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cycling, cycling, cycling. Just did 110 miles this past weekend in ~90 degree heat. Felt great and had energy all day. I don't think that you can just drink your way to "heat fitness", you have to develop it. Once you have some conditioning, you have a much better base to work from. Still need to lose more weight though.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

"Nah, the worst part of youth is that the mind can still remember it long after it's gone!"

The worst thing about youth is that it is wasted on the young. (Stolen)
Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

TwentySix:

I did that also. On a typical day, during the workday, I'll drink almost a 16oz bottle of water per hour up until about 6:00pm or so, then I drink very little from then until bedtime.

In addition to drinking my normal alotment of water prior to the event, I also sucked down a 1L bottle of PediaLyte to help infuse the eletrolytes before the event.

I believe it helped. Like I said, I haven't felt that good after other events in similarly warm weather and this time I felt much better at the end.

Larry: I hit the gym every other day. I've been thinking of getting a Mtn Bike to ride, but right now am running 3 miles or so every other morning, and lifting weights for 30 mins. I've been doing that since July 2nd of last year - so I've made it a year - yippeeee!

Brian
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Cycling is just so good for you. It's a bummer that it's such a time commitment but it's low impact and one of the best exercises for overall fitness.

Quick Reply: Racing Fitness