Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
This sums up my fitness regiment:
There ya go!

With all the talk about 5-8% bodyfat, $150 energy drinks etc. we're going little overboard here. It's not like we're preparing for the next weekend (hint: Le Mans 24 hrs) or weekend after that (GP of France).
Old 06-11-2008, 03:20 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Many Rolex drivers (Stanton, Pruett, Murry, Haywood, etc) have good things to say about Performance Drink® formerly known as Glycomax
Old 06-11-2008, 04:21 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GU20 drink - electrolytes, sodium, potassium, complex carbohydrates (no sugar).
Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am more into cycling than motorsports, and have been with Chris Carmichael's trainright system for my cycling for a year. It is excellent. He has a program for motorsports as well...check it out: trainright.com.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
anyone want to try and arm wrestle???
Yes! Either arm. "tons of heat, travel and grind out hours of mentally and physically draining exercise".
Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I do alot of road biking and I like Accelerade. It seems to help with recovery. I have not tried it at the track much as it is a pain to premix a bunch of bottles. At the track I do often do Gatorade, either cut or full strength, along with lots of water.

I wore my heart rate monitor at a race at Summit a few years ago. My max HR is around 175ish. During the race my max was about 136. I expected to it to go higher and I attribute that to reasonable fitness. I will never be in great shape as I like to eat
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone want to try and arm wrestle???
I was gonna say yes, but Bull beat me too it. There's not too many that I wouldn't go up again in my class, but I don't think that I'd challenge Bull.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

My personal opinion on sports drinks after having spent most of my life in endurance training including soccer, running, rock climbing, road cycling, and tennis is that they're over-rated. Road cycling is what I stick to most these days and I don't even consider Gatorade unless I'm going over 2 hours. I've done up to 65 miles in 90 degree weather with only water and one granola bar (again, I think most of the "science food" bars are overkill). I do think it depends on the climate as I tend to need more fluid when I ride in the dry heat of California as opposed to the humidity of Kentucky.

One reason people stay well-hydrated on sports drinks is that they generally taste better than water which means people will drink more often during the workout.

top level racing drivers are absolutely at 5-8% bodyfat.

in-race heart BPM for f1 guys is routinely SUSTAINED @ 160+ and there's no way to do that unless you're in killer shape.
5-8% is athletic but not that low. 3-4% is low.

I would love to read more about this sustained 160 bpm if you could provide a link.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Below is an interesting article regarding F1 drivers' training & fitness:
(You can recognize Kimi being a Finn by looking at his breakfast, porridge is very common Finnsh breakfast choice. )

"The drive for F1 fitness

Being able to handle a car on the limit just isn’t enough; today’s Formula 1 driver needs the strength of a boxer, the reactions of a fighter pilot and the stamina of a long-distance runner.

“It’s very difficult to recreate the environment experienced by a Formula 1 driver,” says Gerry Convy, Juan Pablo Montoya’s trainer.

He’s not referring to the glamorous side of the job, either. Convy is talking about the physical and mental punishment experienced by Formula 1 drivers during a two-hour grand prix. The drivers’ bodies are pulled, yanked and squashed up to 15 times each lap by g-forces that would damage an unprepared body - and all the while they have to drive a Formula 1 car on the limit.

It’s survival of the fittest in the purest sense, because only those able to extract the maximum from themselves and their cars stand a chance of success. “There is nothing quite like driving through a high-speed corner in a Formula 1 car” says Juan Pablo. “There are so many sensations: the speed, the grip levels and the physical forces pulling on the body. If you’re not used to it, the lateral g feels like someone is trying to rip off your head!”

To deal with such extreme demands, a driver has to be physically and mentally prepared in a way that is unique in professional sport. He uses every major muscle group in the body, so he can’t train in one specific way, like a runner might train for the 800 metres, or a swimmer for breaststroke. He needs to have the upper-body strength of a boxer, the reactions of a fighter pilot and the stamina and aerobic fitness of a long distance runner.

”Formula 1 drivers are special athletes,” says Convy. “The physical requirements placed upon them are huge, particularly when you combine the g-forces with the heat that they experience at the hotter races. In Malaysia, for example, the cockpit temperatures reach more than 50 degrees C and the humidity can be 80 per cent, which is extremely demanding.”

A one per cent loss in body fluid seriously affects concentration levels, and in extreme cases drivers can lose up to three and a half litres of fluid during a race. Yet what makes the life of a Formula 1 driver seem so difficult is that compared to other sportsmen and women, who can train 24/7 if they wish, drivers have very little time to prepare.

”Usually,” says Mark Arnall, “Kimi Raikkonen’s Personal Trainer and Therapist, “we get about three or four days in which to work with the drivers during a two-week period between races. A lot of that work is geared towards recovery from the previous race - working out any aches and pains - making the main aim of training during the season maintaining fitness levels and keeping the driver injury free.”

When Kimi and Juan Pablo aren’t racing, they are either testing, travelling or carrying out commercial commitments for Team McLaren Mercedes. To ensure that they get some training continuity, Gerry and Mark travel with them in the hope of grabbing a few hours’ training.

”Sometimes,” says Mark, “we don’t finish training until 10pm. But I’m happy to fit in around Kimi’s schedule and my only concern is that we get whatever I have planned done.”

Kimi and Juan Pablo have very different training programmes, each individually tailored to suit their needs, but both drivers cycle as part of their training programme. The most intensive training period is during the off-season, when they spend more time at home, and it is then that they do lots of cardio and strength work. They look to make improvements year-on-year, with a view to maintaining that new level of fitness during the busier summer months.

”We get to know the drivers really well,” says Arnall. “I live near Kimi in Switzerland and spend a lot of time with him. It was the same with Mika Hakkinen before him: it’s my job to understand what makes them tick and to devise a training programme to suit.”

Convy began working with Juan Pablo in November 2004, when Juan Pablo joined the team. They immediately hit it off and made impressive progress. Through a special diet and exercise regime, Juan Pablo lost six kilos over that winter, but he barely had the chance to reap the benefits because two races into the 2005 season he had a debilitating fall on a tennis court, putting him out of action for six weeks.

”He did a lot of damage to his shoulder,” says Convy. “To begin with he couldn’t move because of the pain, so he went back to Miami to recuperate. The moment he had enough movement to begin training, we worked very hard to get him back in shape. We trained specifically for Barcelona and Monaco. Juan Pablo was in pain from lap one in Spain, but his great spirit and physical and mental strength saw him through.”

McLaren Technology Centre Partner Technogym was able to help Juan Pablo’s neck preparation by giving him a machine it has developed specially for Formula 1 drivers. It involved Juan Pablo sitting in a cockpit and wearing a helmet attached to pulleys. The machine pulls at the neck from different angles, simulating the stresses when on track. It also allowed him to work the stabilising muscles of his shoulders that were damaged.

”The Technogym machine is the only one that comes close to replicating the experiences in the car, as far as the neck muscles go,” says Pedro de la Rosa. “I started using it a year ago and , while nothing actually beats miles in the car to condition yourself, the Technogym machine is very good at giving you some means of preparation.”

The final word on driver fitness is going to come from ITV broadcaster and former McLaren Formula 1 driver (1995) Mark Blundell. He trained recently with Kimi in Switzerland for a TV piece and came away impressed.

”The game has moved on a lot since my day,” says Blundell. “Okay I’m not in the best shape of my life at the moment, but Kimi’s level of fitness was pretty awesome, particularly his aerobic fitness. He’s super, super fit.”

* DIET OVER A GP WEEKEND - The food that keeps the drivers going

Juan Pablo Montoya
Breakfast: High-fibre cereal with chopped bananas, semi-skimmed milk and vitamin tablets
Lunch: Chicken with rice and tomatoes
Dinner: Pasta with ham and shavings of Grana Padano

Kimi Raikkonen
Breakfast: Porridge with fruit
11am: Fruit and energy bar and protein shake
Lunch: Chicken or salmon with rice and vegetables
Tea: Wholegrain egg sandwich
Dinner: Fish, chicken or beef with rice

* From jet-skiing to bike trails why Kimi & Juan Pablo train outdoors

There is no such thing as a typical training session for a Formula 1 driver. Even when they have time to train regularly during the winter, no two days are the same.

As a general rule, the winter is dedicated to improving aerobic and strength levels, while the summer is spent maintaining them. Consequently, the drivers get fitter and stronger the longer they are in Formula 1.

“The secret is to find exercises that the drivers enjoy,” says Convy. “Juan Pablo always has to be using his brain, so we have done a lot of mountain bike trails. He doesn’t like just sitting on a rowing machine, he prefers to train outdoors. The intense mountain bike trails help him burn up to 1,000 calories in a single session and increase his cardiovascular fitness.”

It’s the same story with Kimi. He prefers the outdoors to being in a gym, so Arnall organises exercises to suit. “Some work has to be done in the gym,” he says, “but we also like to have fun, like standing on rubber ***** to improve his core stability. He does a variety of sports like stand up jet-skiing which works all the major muscle groups and focuses on core stability”

* Inside the Fitness and Wellbeing Centre at the McLaren Technology Centre

The team’s drivers are unlikely to find a better gym within easy reach of the facility. With a state-of-the-art gymnasium developed in conjunction with Partner Technogym and a three lane training pool, they have the best equipment to hand.

There are machines focusing on cardiovascular work, upper body, lower body, and the different muscle groups. An assessment room ensures the drivers can concentrate on their individual needs, by creating the correct fitness routine. This is programmed into the Technogym Wellness Key System. By inserting the key into the Fitness Zone machines, the distance, speed and workload are automatically adjusted to the driver's fitness level, and all activity recorded to monitor their improvement.

“It’s a phenomenal set-up,” says Convy. “The Technogym machinery is the best on the market so the team has everything it needs.” But it’s not only the drivers who’ll benefit, as the Fitness and Wellbeing Centre sees Team McLaren Mercedes operating in close co-operation with Direxiv, to create a dedicated team of highly qualified and well resourced individuals with the sole objective of improving and optimising the fitness, health, wellbeing and diet of not only all of the Team McLaren Mercedes Formula One team and drivers but also the e mployees within the McLaren Group.

Special thanks to McLaren"

Last edited by Flying Finn; 06-12-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
MTosi
User

DC was bulimic for a while, I think this whole emphasis on weight and neck strength is kind of a joke... the cars should take enough skill to drive that 30lbs makes no difference to a good driver, from the 50's-70's you could put 50lbs in a car run by the best driver, a backmarker in the field could run 50lbs lighter in the same car and the better driver would still win....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/6954569.stm
Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
v12man
Instructor

The laymans guide to endurance nutrition, by one of my old professors.

http://www.ultrunr.com/noakes.html

Nutritional needs of endurance athletes - somewhat condensed, but readable
www.dontgetlost.ca/ghocanadagho/ejss1.pdf

If you want more detail - http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en...+glucose&meta=
will give you dozens of articles that are interesting - at least according to me anyway

The only rule I have is: try whatever you are planning to use in a race at least a WEEK BEFORE you plan to use it in a race if it is a new product for you - some products have ugly side effects on some people, including nausea (not good for a driver(, loose bowels, headache, etc. Sipping it to check the taste is NOT trying it - you need to use the same total quantity and rate of ingestion for the period you plan to use it.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Figured I'd revive this thread for a little update.

This past weekend we ran at Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord, NC and temp was around 90-93 I'd say. I started each day off by sucking down a 1L bottle of PediaLyte during the drivers meeting, and then I'd drink another one around 2:00 or so, combined with about 2 bananas during the day, and a ton of water, and I felt good.

No headaches at the end of the day, none of that "what have I done to myself" feeling that I've felt in the past on hot weekends, etc.

FWIW...

Brian
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
James-man
Race Car

I am a what have I done to myself.

But it always seems to be worth it.

Quick Reply: Racing Fitness