Sponsored by:

Racing Fitness

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,

Go road riding if you can. It's hard to get good fitness Mtn Biking.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Cycling, cycling, cycling. Just did 110 miles this past weekend in ~90 degree heat. Felt great and had energy all day. I don't think that you can just drink your way to "heat fitness", you have to develop it. Once you have some conditioning, you have a much better base to work from. Still need to lose more weight though.

I've lost 15 lbs since the winter and found this scale to be a good tool for keeping tabs on myself; the "daily calorie predictor" is useful as it comes up with how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight, so you can budget them accordingly (I tried to average 500 less each day). It measures your body composition (body fat%, muscle mass, bone mass, body water %) after you plug in your height, age, etc... I did the numbers it gave me and put in my former bodyfat measurements from when I was a gym rat, it calculated out to just over what I weighed then, so it seems pretty accurate. You have to go on the scale with slightly damp, bare feet for the scan to work. Once upon a time I had a resting heart rate of 56

Last edited by TwentySix; 07-08-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot url
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Well I just completed the 90 minute enduro at Sebring on Saturday and if you've got fitness pointers, bring'em on. Conditions were brutally warm.

jack
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,197 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
This is one topic where I love being 18, in shape, 5'11, 165lbs, a hockey player, and can do a 3 miler in 19 minutes it's nice being young, you don't have to think about racing fitness that much!
trust me dude I know what you mean...but as your official halfway point to the rest of the guys on here (I'm 27) I'll warn you that the only thing that really slows you down are your peers and their influences on you. Don't let anyone hold you back and don't marry too young/ knock anyone up and you'll be in shape and spending money on cars for a long time!

well that's been my way of avoiding "old age" pitfalls
Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
trust me dude I know what you mean...but as your official halfway point to the rest of the guys on here (I'm 27) I'll warn you that the only thing that really slows you down are your peers and their influences on you. Don't let anyone hold you back and don't marry too young/ knock anyone up and you'll be in shape and spending money on cars for a long time!

well that's been my way of avoiding "old age" pitfalls
Haha thanks for the advice. It's already started, most kids now are already hitting the beer hard, and the gym less. I don't stay on campus, simply because I can't stand sitting around on my ***, playing video games and getting drunk for however many month's (it's also a little diffucult to work on a race car in a dorm room). Plus I have to work to afford chasing these expensive hobbies/dreams of mine. I don't realy find a need for any lowly street drugs, I smoke the most expensive and addicting crack pipe of them all , this stuff

Now if only god had blessed me with a level of talent for your sport, instead of for this foolish one where talent mean nothing without $$$$, I'd be sitting golden right now
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I bicycle. It is one of the best form of excersize in terms of coping with heat, dehydration and long term stamina. From what I have heard, a lot of pro racers cycle. Did 30 hilly miles in about 1 3/4 hours on Saturday (98 degrees). I still have to lose some more weight, but it is happening slowly.
Hi Larry,

Biking is good. Doing 30 miles in anything resembling hills in temps of 98 degrees is better than good. See you at VIR.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,197 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Haha thanks for the advice. It's already started, most kids now are already hitting the beer hard, and the gym less. I don't stay on campus, simply because I can't stand sitting around on my ***, playing video games and getting drunk for however many month's (it's also a little diffucult to work on a race car in a dorm room). Plus I have to work to afford chasing these expensive hobbies/dreams of mine. I don't realy find a need for any lowly street drugs, I smoke the most expensive and addicting crack pipe of them all , this stuff

Now if only god had blessed me with a level of talent for your sport, instead of for this foolish one where talent mean nothing without $$$$, I'd be sitting golden right now
yeah well just got to save up enough for a spec racer to start getting your hat in the ring so to speak. I'm where I'm at because of my desire to outdo my peers, and a big part of that is avoiding the party scene and party people. trust me they'll all be jealous of you finishing 2nd to me in ALMS one day.

lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing is bad in moderation. Having just graduated I'm already missing my "party people" friends. Even young its rough to do the party thing on a daily basis and will absolutely wreck yourself, but don't completely right it off its still fun. Best advice I can give/have received is split it up. I have tried to stay as active as possible, but keep the party scene/people separate from most daily activities. This way I haven't destroyed myself like they have because there isn't the constant temptation to go out. Its turned out alright too. Just by staying active I was able to avoid gaining any significant weight and by the time of graduation had only gained 6lbs from freshman year.
Did not hit the gym as much as I may have liked but leaned up instead which has really helped with driving because I've traded the bulk for stamina. I hated it, but spent a lot of time on a stationary bike. Took my ipod loaded up with track vids and trained myself mentally and physically, and then would close my eyes and visualize driving the course all the while I'm pedalling. It was the closest I could get to the physical/mental focus outside of the car.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few people asked me why the heck I was wearing a driving suit for every session at our Glen DE a couple of weeks ago. And the answer is..........heat conditioning. It was reasonably hot, and perfect for getting conditioned with the suit and no cool shirt. Come August at VIR, I'll need all the help I can get.

Oh, and I'll use the cool shirt there, too!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
yeah well just got to save up enough for a spec racer to start getting your hat in the ring so to speak. I'm where I'm at because of my desire to outdo my peers, and a big part of that is avoiding the party scene and party people. trust me they'll all be jealous of you finishing 2nd to me in ALMS one day.

lol.
Seeing as how were talking about dreams, you must still be in one, thinking your going to beat me

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Nothing is bad in moderation. Having just graduated I'm already missing my "party people" friends. Even young its rough to do the party thing on a daily basis and will absolutely wreck yourself, but don't completely right it off its still fun. Best advice I can give/have received is split it up. I have tried to stay as active as possible, but keep the party scene/people separate from most daily activities. This way I haven't destroyed myself like they have because there isn't the constant temptation to go out. Its turned out alright too. Just by staying active I was able to avoid gaining any significant weight and by the time of graduation had only gained 6lbs from freshman year.
Did not hit the gym as much as I may have liked but leaned up instead which has really helped with driving because I've traded the bulk for stamina. I hated it, but spent a lot of time on a stationary bike. Took my ipod loaded up with track vids and trained myself mentally and physically, and then would close my eyes and visualize driving the course all the while I'm pedalling. It was the closest I could get to the physical/mental focus outside of the car.
My problem has always been trying to put weight on. I played hockey for the longest time (goalie) and had always been super light but I didn't play this year (freshmen year college) since I work after school, so didn't have the time required to commit to playing for school. Anyway I managed to put on 10lbs since June of last year from just doing loads of upper body excersises which are largely neglected as a goalie, since you have to be able agile rather than big.

If I ever get to the point where I'm racing prof. on a regular basis I would definately buy myself another shifter kart (suprised no one has suggested this yet?). They give you the best workout for racing I can think of (G's, arm's, stamina, etc.) plus you are getting actual practice driving while doing it. The first time I drove one, I was completely beat after a 20 minute session. People don't realize when you are driving a kart everytime you turn you are actually lifting the chassis the way the suspension (or actual lack there of) works. Plus the G's generated by a shifter kart are pretty incredible to. I had an open track session where I was able to do an hour long stint, and by the time it was finished I could barely hold my head up and was just using the neck brace. I'm convinced if one could train to do a 3 hour stint in a 125cc shifter kart on a hot day, you could easily do a 3 hour stint in just about anything other than an F1 car.

Quick Reply: Racing Fitness