Sponsored by:

First video with my Aiptek HD camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First video with my Aiptek HD camera

I like this camera! I had to go down to 30f on the 720p setting because my wife forgot to remove all the videos from my daughter's preschool event, so I didn't have much space on the card. Next time, I'm going 60f, and it should be even better. Nice little camera!

http://www.vimeo.com/1105969
Old 06-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Todd,
Is it my cable modem or are you seeing the same "stop and start" in the video and audio?? I relaunched the site and everything.

Regardless the images look fantastic and I must ask more about the site. Have you compressed the file to make it fit under the maximum allowable file size? If so what size file is allowable on the site? I know youtube it's 100mb which for me, means very poor video quality. do you have any trick that I can learn from. Does this sight have a higher file size maximum?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Todd,
Is it my cable modem or are you seeing the same "stop and start" in the video and audio?? I relaunched the site and everything.

Regardless the images look fantastic and I must ask more about the site. Have you compressed the file to make it fit under the maximum allowable file size? If so what size file is allowable on the site? I know youtube it's 100mb which for me, means very poor video quality. do you have any trick that I can learn from. Does this sight have a higher file size maximum?

Thanks
I'm not getting that stop and start, but one other person had that problem, but it is a crappy computer, so I chalked it up to that.

Anybody else getting choppy results?

Brinkley, did you try another browser?

Vimeo is great for HD videos - YouTube blows.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pause it and wait for the whole thing to load it goes smoothly. Nice images.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Sweet I just bought one of these after reading the thread about them but didnt have time to get it in the car yet. How much record time are going getting? Did you hard wire in the power supply or just recharge the battery?

Chris
Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by amondc
Sweet I just bought one of these after reading the thread about them but didnt have time to get it in the car yet. How much record time are going getting? Did you hard wire in the power supply or just recharge the battery?

Chris
The battery wasn't a problem for me at all - the 2GB card was, because my wife forgot to remove all the preschool event movies from it, so I had only enough card space for two 20 minute sessions!

It's not hardwired, just battery.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll want to hardwire it...especially if you run enduros and if you run at the highest resolution
Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
You'll want to hardwire it...especially if you run enduros and if you run at the highest resolution
Sean, you bought their car adapter and connected it to the wall adapter camera ending components, right?
Or did you just use the plain Aptek car adapter?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Todd,

Thanks
Vimeo gives you 500Mb per week free upload, and that can be one file. The idea is to upload the highest resolution you can fit, and Vimeo does the rest. Their compression to Flash is about the best I've seen, and they provide a download link so that users can download your original video file.

I'm not seeing any gapping in this particular video. If you graphics card is struggling to keep up, you might see that happen. Some laptops are notorious for wimpy graphics. What you do see on this video is the classic CMOS Rolling Shutter instability that the Aiptec A-HD shares with some >$1000 cameras from Sony and other 'names'. Take a look at the windscreen border on teh right of the frame. See how it 'wobbles'? That's the shutter technology fighting with the image stabilization technology.

All that said, the Aiptek produces great results for a <$200 camera!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

PM me if I left anyone hanging -- Actually it will really work better if you email questions directly to me at DEChair@pcapotomac.org.

Tony -- Thanks for moving this to the Glen thread where it belonged.

Last edited by Alan Herod; 06-03-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Too many windows open
Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks clear and smooth here! Nice video!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:51 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice... my Aiptek was supposed to arrive today but the jackass UPS guy doesn't even knock hard enough for me to hear him. And he comes after 6PM when I'm watching the Red Wings.

Then he circles that I have to sign in person but doesn't check when or what time he will return. I hate brown.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 AM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get it from and what was the final cost??? Looks like you got a winner there and I'd like to try one out too! I bought a cheap SD card camera from Radio Shack, but the thing freaking EATS batteries and is a PITA to use in general... To much of a pain to use in a race car that is for sure!

James
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Here's the one I got - I didn't get the 'kit' like they have here, but it seems to be a great deal, particularly if the battery mentioned is a spare.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd91100050008
Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Nice... my Aiptek was supposed to arrive today but the jackass UPS guy doesn't even knock hard enough for me to hear him. And he comes after 6PM when I'm watching the Red Wings.

Then he circles that I have to sign in person but doesn't check when or what time he will return. I hate brown.
Yeah how 'bout those Red Wings....Go PENS! What a freakin' game!

Quick Reply: First video with my Aiptek HD camera