Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's happening at the Glen? Status please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
What a roller coaster weekend for me! I am fearful of what is wrong with my engine. I'll be dropping it off with Dan J. today for him to have a look.

I am thankful, though, to Brian and Colin for putting their faith/trust in me to co-drive their cars. I tried very hard to do well for both of them in the enduro. In Colin's car, although I didn't have many laps "in fury", I was so proud of his performance for the majority of the race that I was dedicated to not screw it up for him! I wasn't sure if Andy was ahead of us or we were about to lap him (hard to know with pit stops where you catch some yellow), but I felt I needed to get ahead of him to be sure. It turned out we only had ~4 laps to do so. I've had group wins before, but I have to say that a team-earned group win is almost more satisfying. Colin drove one hell of a race, I was happy to be the closer for him.

I had a great time as well. I'm really enjoying my new GTC1 family. I will post a video next week of the great GTC1 enduro battle.

Nose to tail for 20+ minutes with Jeff, Colin and Dave was a blast!

Great finish Charlie!! Next time I'll try and make the pass a little harder.

-Andy
Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajenks144
Great finish Charlie!! Next time I'll try and make the pass a little harder.

-Andy
I'm anxious to see our respective videos of "the pass". I screwed the turn by missing gear selection and I suspect it is that bobble that contributed to your barely missing me. My sincere apologies for that, it was chaotic enough without me making a driving error to boot! Thanks for the clean racing!!

I really hope I can be back with you guys at VIR and NJMSP.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
We were quite the group weren't we?

Joel - out for mechanical
Fred - out for mechanical
Gary - out for mechanical
Sean - out for getting sideswiped and launched into the fray

and thanks Mike, I appreciated your input more than you can possibly imagine. I'm just sorry you didn't get to finish the race..
As a first timer at the Glen and relatively new at racing, I must say it is quite an amazing track! I had a great time and met a lot of fun and nice people. BUT reliability and carnage wise, the weekend was brutal!

Sprint 1: Running first in class and fifth overall at the 28 min mark... Had to quit for a fuel system issue

Sprint 2: Running first in class and third overall at the 24 min mark... Had to quit for the same fuel system issue.

Enduro: Running first in class and fourth overall at the 23 min mark... Had to quit for the same €$@?# fuel system issue.

Aggravation!

Then I saw Sean's car in the paddock and remembered what happened to another friend on mine earlier in the week (his steering wheel came off in the toe - he went straight into the wall- nice!)... Needless to say that my frustration dissipated quickly. Sean and Jeff I am really sorry for you guys. I really hope that you will get your SC's fixed and run at Road America later in the summer.

Now, DOUG CROSSMAN: you kicked some serious ***! You drive like a super star! As much as it is fun to run at the front, I wish i would have been following you instead of holding you up early in the enduro. I would have nailed faster laps and you would have caught Reisborough earlier in the race - and perhaps win the race instead on finishing second.

Gary R and Mike I: thanks for showing the way around the track as early as Thursday!

Gary R: thanks for the spare parts to help Dan J try to figure out my fuel system issue by root cause elimination.

See ya all at Road America

Last edited by FredC; 06-02-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Several of Us came up from Tx in addition to several friends from Co, and Ok. We all had a great time!

I would also like to personally say THANK YOU to the region for such a great event. Everyone is so helpful and nice, we all really appreciated the hospitality!!

Special Thanks to Pete Tremper, Susan Davis and all the volunteers!!!! What a great event, I know You all should be very proud of what You've put together!!!

Great track, great talent, great time, We will be back as often as possible, Thx again!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I'm anxious to see our respective videos of "the pass". I screwed the turn by missing gear selection and I suspect it is that bobble that contributed to your barely missing me. My sincere apologies for that, it was chaotic enough without me making a driving error to boot! Thanks for the clean racing!!

I really hope I can be back with you guys at VIR and NJMSP.
The pass was clean. I had no ABS at that point, so on the video you can see my car get a little twitchy, but it felt much more on the edge than it looks in the video.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank scott for the kudos. I had a great time racing out there with everyone. I think I might be able to say car ran fine and seems to be in the same shape as it left here wed.

I gotta say i was very impressed how well everything went, with so many racers registered
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJcroc
Thank scott for the kudos. I had a great time racing out there with everyone. I think I might be able to say car ran fine and seems to be in the same shape as it left here wed.

I gotta say i was very impressed how well everything went, with so many racers registered
Congrats on the podium finish in your very first race!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.08.9 in H? Damn. Well done wheelman Rick.

Bob, hope the car comes back together quick. Good to party with you this past weekend.

Great weekend all around, has me itching for a Pcar again. Those caymans sure are sexy!

...bring on the spec boxsters. Spencer *** said he has 3 under construction.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
2.08.9 in H? Damn. Well done wheelman Rick.
Well done Rick. Quite impressive.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

well I didn't make it to the glen but I did do the nasa race at pocono, finsihed first in gts2 and 5th overall in our run group. Weather worked out nicely and just like the glen the times just kept getting faster and faster. Next year will defineately make it to the glen. Sounds like it was great.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
teamNortheast
Track Day

Originally Posted by 1957 356
It was me...I wrecked. Or, should I say, someone wrecked me. Video and description coming tomorrow. Everyone was okay - 5 cars involved 3 of which are likely finished including mine. Will wait for the diagnosis, but the patient looks pretty bad.
Sean I particularly like your photo. Those 2 cars are gone, huh?

Again sorry we were not successful in getting out of that mess. As a famous secret agent once said, "we missed it by that much."

To anyone else reading this here is a quick synopsis of Sean's and my ride (I am the Hankook 944).

As we crested the hill after the top of the esses, where the track bends to the right, the yellow 911 in front of me moved all the way right (still trying to understand the reason for such a move) lightly collecting his buddy in a blue 911. This rotated the yellow car 90 degrees which sent him back to the left in a plum of sideway sliding tire smoke. I couldn't really exactly where he was but I headed towards the left most part of the track where he was headed so that I would have the longest braking area and also get out of rushing cars. After the yellow car tagged the guardrail in front of me I was able to move a bit right before the impending bounce out. Sean in turn seemed to have mirrored what I did and it looked as if we where home free until a red 944 managed to tag Sean's right rear corner not only rotating him slightly but also increasing his speed beyond mine and basically drove him into my passenger door and eventually my left rear corner into the guardrail where I then bounced out in the center of the track facing all of the other car that seemed to do an awesome job of slowing.

Unfortunately the Hankook car is no more. It didn't damage any important stuff but a new tub is definitely in demand. As it turns out I was offered a full 944 turbo rolling tub from a dear friend so the rebuild will start soon for the VIR race in 9 weeks.

Sean again I am sorry and hope to see you soon and thanks to the rest of the field for avoiding us.

Steve Boris
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

I thought I had saved a few more of the sheets, but at least here's the full purple enduro:

Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Colin/Charlie.... nice job!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall, a great club race weekend. Second to Glen's kudos to the race officials and organizers of the event. Its hard work as we all know. And we lucked out with the weather for sure!

Sorry to see Sean and Steve get the bad and of someone elses poor judgement. Bad racing luck. But like the great racers they are, you know they'll be back!

For me, I was headed in the right direction until my car did weird things and fell of the cliff. I qualified 4th in class with a 2:00 flat ( a PR for me). Then the car wouldnt stick on right hand turns (small technicality) and that was it for me. Couldnt figure out what the issue was, so we chased the car for the rest of the weekend finsihed mid pack. Kinda frustrating but at least the car is in one piece, so thats a good thing!

Boy, the Red group is a trip. If you can get to the pointy end of the grid, there is some great driving! If you get stuck in the middle of the pack, it gets a little challenging to avoid beeing taken out! I wont post the video to protect the guilty.

Great job everyone! See you at the next race.

JL
Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
DAMN!!! I think I liked it better when the The Glen's speed secrets were just that! Nice Job. I'm dropping the car off for a complete engine rebuild today. I used 2nd gear in the toe one too many times running down Burger.
I now have a few secrets of my own . Seriously though, getting to run behind Jeff was a great learning experience. I saw some places that I can still go faster, and I learned some about when I could have pressed a pass harder. But all in all, it was great fun.

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
Colin/Charlie.... nice job!
The old girl still has a few moves left in her!

Quick Reply: What's happening at the Glen? Status please!