Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's happening at the Glen? Status please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Wow, congrats to my friend Wally!!!!!

Sean, sorry about your car, glad you are OK.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wow, congrats to my friend Wally!!!!!
Yes, Wally did really well. We battled at Road America a few years ago back when I still had my 964 turbo.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Colin, the H car was Rick Owens with our group. He bought Bob D's old USA Cup and that was his second race as a rookie driver! He was having a great time, just relaxed a drove. Talk about arrive and drive. Rick has only a few events on the car so far. Everyone I talked to today thought the track just got faster and faster as the weekend progressed.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my results:
Sprint 1
1st in Class I / 2nd Overall

Sprint 2
1st in Class I / 1st Overall

David
Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Everyone I talked to today thought the track just got faster and faster as the weekend progressed.
I was thinking the same on my way home. Virtually everybody got at least one or two seconds faster today and many people shattered their previous best records at Watkins Glen in today's enduros.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Way to go, guys. Sorry to hear about the carnage. Wish I had been there.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

A few more results I remembered. Doug Crossman won his first sprint (2nd overall) and did the same in the enduro. I think Doug turned a 2:13 flat. Geoffrey Ring also did really well in both sprints, finishing 2nd behind Chris Musante in 3R, and breaking the magical 2 minute barrier. Jimmy Lewis and Mike Iapaluccio also were doing great in C3...I think they took 2nd & 3rd. Glen Gaitlin was fast as always in C4...not sure where he finally finished, as there were a couple of pros in C4 and GTA (Spencer Pumpelly, Andy Lally, ...).
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I was able to stay for the enduro! So sorry to hear about the damage Sean. Gary you have great patience, sorry about your clutch. Congrats to all the GTC1 group. Brian P Thanks for a great qualifying fun race for us. Andy Thanks for stropping by to say hello, nice racing with you.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A big congratulations to Alex Hiletag from Princeton Porsche for taking a 3rd in the rain in his 1st race! a 2.13.? That is very strong Alex, your Cayman was flying.
Till next time.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
I wish I was able to stay for the enduro! So sorry to hear about the damage Sean. Gary you have great patience, sorry about your clutch. Congrats to all the GTC1 group. Brian P Thanks for a great qualifying fun race for us. Andy Thanks for stropping by to say hello, nice racing with you.
Sorry I didn't get to meet you in person (once again!) Scott.. As for patience, it was just one more lesson learned in what will be a never ending succession of progress. Driving through a problem (even though I didn't know it WAS a problem!) is part of racing as these old cars never stop throwing curve ***** at you. In the end it's all good and there was nowhere (or no one else) on the planet I would have rather been this weekend...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=38D;5467784]Let's just say things got a little better today for me. Dan J was able to fix m broken rocker, and I was back. I started the purple enduro in 4th overall, behind Chris Palumbo (GT4), Jeff Burger (C1) and Andy Jenks (C1) with Dave Nazaroff (C1) just behind me. On the start, Dave got by, so I slotted into 5th overall. Chris pulled a bit of a gap, but the 4 C1 cars were nose to tail. Then andy got by Jeff, an I got by Dave...diferent order, but still 4 cars nose to tail. Then I got by Andy...but still nose to tail. We stayed in that order for a loooong time. Then Andy got back by me, but still we were all nose to tail. Finally a double yellow came out about 35 mins into the race. On the restart Chris & Jeff were black flagged for passing the pace car. That put me in 2nd overall. I managed to get back by Andy to take the overall lead around the 50 min mark. I pulled into the pits around the 60 min mark and handed off to Charlie. About 4 mins into out pit stop there was another double yellow, but I had boned starting the timer, so we had a long pit stop (5:15-20ish). Anyway, Jupe did some double yellow laps, and unbeknownst to us, Andy was actually back in the overall lead. When it went green, Jupe had only a few laps to run down and get back by Andy, which he did! When the checker flew, we had taken P1 overall. Andy was 2nd with Burger in 3rd (4th overall) despite his stop & go penalty. Wally Ruiz (G) was 3rd overall in his RSA.

In addition to the great finish, I managed to run a 2:06.5, which was the fastest C1 time for the race, and by far my personal best. I just looked at my data, and I think Jupe ran a 2:06.8 on the last lap of his stint. So, he's only 3 tenths slower than me, which is pretty good for him (seriously though, great drive by him too). Burger also ran a slightly slower 2:06.5, Jenks a 2:06.9 and Nazaroff a 2:07.1. So I think we can close the which is the most competitive class thread...just imagine if Scotto & Charlie had been running too!

This was the best race weekend I've ever had, and was so great to have great clean racing for so long.

DAMN!!! I think I liked it better when the The Glen's speed secrets were just that! Nice Job. I'm dropping the car off for a complete engine rebuild today. I used 2nd gear in the toe one too many times running down Burger.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Yes, Wally did really well. We battled at Road America a few years ago back when I still had my 964 turbo.
Cool! Wally & Brooke got me into instructing for PCA, they are 100% good eggs.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What a roller coaster weekend for me! I am fearful of what is wrong with my engine. I'll be dropping it off with Dan J. today for him to have a look.

I am thankful, though, to Brian and Colin for putting their faith/trust in me to co-drive their cars. I tried very hard to do well for both of them in the enduro. In Colin's car, although I didn't have many laps "in fury", I was so proud of his performance for the majority of the race that I was dedicated to not screw it up for him! I wasn't sure if Andy was ahead of us or we were about to lap him (hard to know with pit stops where you catch some yellow), but I felt I needed to get ahead of him to be sure. It turned out we only had ~4 laps to do so. I've had group wins before, but I have to say that a team-earned group win is almost more satisfying. Colin drove one hell of a race, I was happy to be the closer for him.

For you F classers, watch out. Brian's Boxster has some potential, though I don't think it can compete with a 944 Turbo running low 2:10s! (wow, Cory!) If not for a broken front sway bar link that made the car have demonic oversteer, I am quite confident we would have finished better than 7th in class in that race... I ran a 2:11.9 in it and I think if we can straighten out some weird braking and PSM issues (like kill PSM!), it is a low 2:11 car at least.

Sean, so sorry about your car. Let me know if you need anything.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Sean, so sorry about your car. Let me know if you need anything.
Charlie - 1st thing Sean said was he was going to try and keep the right "side-swiped" number on the car as a "momento" if he can..
Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Charlie - 1st thing Sean said was he was going to try and keep the right "side-swiped" number on the car as a "momento" if he can..
I can understand that! New stickers on-the-house, if needed, though. Let's just get Sean back and running asap!

Quick Reply: What's happening at the Glen? Status please!