Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the same 106 degree race as John and John at CA Speedway a couple weeks ago. It was my first time running the coolshirt, and I don't think I will ever run without one again. It kept me good, relaxed, and cold while on the grid, and lasted the whole race and I even kept it plugged into me in impound when out of the car. I got that and my qualifying session in on the same batch of ice about 2 hours apart.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I don't. I follow the manufacturer's directions and put in the recommended amount of alcohol to run through the entire system.
My Cool Shirt came with a small bottle of cleaner and an order form for more. The instructions said to use a bottle with each use. That seemed expensive to me. So I looked for information on using alcohol instead. Found this:

"To prevent scum buildup and algae growth, once per month or just before longterm storage, add 8 ounces of rubbing alcohol to the cooling unit with ½ gallon of water and circulate through the hose and shirt. Or drain the hose and shirt with the Universal Connector & Drain kit (Part# UK1)"

here: http://www.coolshirt.net/Club%2024%2...ons%200807.pdf.

I like that solution (pun intended).

Do you drain your shirt, and why would you need a kit do do that? I just hold in the vlave and blow in the other one.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Try using a timer so the pump is not running constantly. I have zero issues with a 90 minute enduro in searing heat.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

This looks great. Says it has three wires, though. Ground and power, so what's the third wire for?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Do you drain your shirt, and why would you need a kit do do that? I just hold in the vlave and blow in the other one.

I keep the 2 open ended drain plugs in the shirt after I blow it out with compressed air. It keeps the circuit open and air can't really stagnate....
Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

This looks great. Says it has three wires, though. Ground and power, so what's the third wire for?
3 wires, for power in + & -, and then timed switched + output.

Mark owes me a gallon of 110, everytime he mentions this solution.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been a problem for me, too, because with the exhaust system running through my cockpit and the muffler on the passenger floor, it's hotter than hell in my car.
So, first of all there are two sizes of cooler available. I needed the bigger one, but had to learn that. My smaller cooler lasts only about 15 or 20 minutes. We installed a switch so I can shut it and save the cool water for longer. I usually use it more when standing still.
Thirdly, the shirt is just awful, it's heavier than a normal tee, so when you run out, it's worse than not having the system at all.
I like to run 90 minute enduros solo, and now I usually just go without the thing altogether. And I do a lot of cycling in the heat to train, that seems to work best!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
3 wires, for power in + & -, and then timed switched + output.
Do you just connect ground and switched power to the Cool Shirt pump?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
Connect switched power and ground to the appropriate contacts on the controller. The output contact and ground go to the cool shirt pump.

C'mon man, there are designed to be installed by bass fishermen!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran bleach through mine last time but I don't like using it near the black cloth on my seats. Alcohol sound safer. Air even better. I'm gonna try that.

I have heard gross out stories from people who left their shirt and hoses with water in them over the winter. Need a visual?

Last edited by paradisenb; 06-30-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Do you just connect ground and switched power to the Cool Shirt pump?
The ground on the timer gets connected to the car, same goes goes for the pump.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I finally have a good reason to go into a Bass Pro Shop- instead of being dragged in there by one of my Ga redneck friends. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
84-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ritter
I finally have a good reason to go into a Bass Pro Shop- instead of being dragged in there by one of my Ga redneck friends. Thanks for the tip.

What exactly are you saying?!.......you don't fish?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

If opening a can of tuna is technically fishing- the answer is yes.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
No, no. I was talking about carrying the block ice in dry ice to the track, not using it in the cooler. I doubt that putting it in the cooler would work, and if it did, can you imagine freezing to death in your race car. "Uh, race central, this is corner 4, this guy in the 911 that just went off track here, is stiff as a board, he's got icicles hanging from his eyebrows."

Bill

I actually did this at Eagles Canyon back in May. I bought a 40 lb (about 12x12 in sq) block of dry ice for about 20 bucks. Put it in a dedicated cooler and used frozen 16oz. water bottles in my cool shirt system instead of ice cubes. It worked pretty well and the dry ice almost lasted 3 days in the cooler. I could refreeze the bottles in about 2-3 hours just by placing them back in the dry ice cooler. I had enough bottles frozen that my buddy and I never ran out of frozen bottles.

For the Enduro, and because our dry ice had gone away I bought some Glad throwaway containers and filled them with water and froze them at home over night. The large blocks of ice (about 6 fit in the 12 qt cooler) were much colder and lasted much longer then the frozen bottles. Still icy cold after an hour Enduro in 90+ Texas heat.

A larger block of dry ice will be in order next time and I will pre-freeze more Glad containers.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Chris,
Connect switched power and ground to the appropriate contacts on the controller. The output contact and ground go to the cool shirt pump.

C'mon man, there are designed to be installed by bass fishermen!
Duh! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt