Sponsored by:

Canadian F1 GP Get Together

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I was wondering how it works? Can you simply park there at say 8am until the end of the race? I wouldn't want my car getting towed or vandalized.
You think too much like a NewYorker . I was the same way until I saw how easy going french canadians are. Even their cops are very easy going anf fun loving. Its just shoking how so many people at 18 yrs and up can drink yet they all act in a dignified manner and there are no riots or fights.
In the past, they used to have a Porsche only parking and would shuttle to the race track. This was before they started having concerts. It could be that they clean it up in time for the race day. I always park by the cinema outside the city on race day so I am out of Montreal within 10mins after I get to my car.

Raj
Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Don't forget there is NO right turn on red in Montreal, nor in Quebec in general if I'm not mistaken.. The local cops were polite the first time I made the mistake realizing I was just a "stupid" American.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Right on red OFF the island.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants to park on the street downtown on Sunday keep in mind that parking meters are in effect from 1pm on Sundays. This is a recent change.

The good news is that if you read the signs carefully then you can find plenty of parking that is only available on weekends but during the week the same place is a "no parking" or loading zone. For this you got to learn the days of the week in French and know that time is shown in 24h system like in the military.
If the sign says no parking (with a symbol) and underneath it says LUN-VEN with whatever time then you are good all the weekend there. But those fill up fast so don't even dream of getting one close to a metro station about 10 am. 8 am there are still spots available. Do try to park legally. They do give out tickets. They will only tow if you are in the way of something more important (bus lane, planned street closure, etc.) The good news for Americans is that they haven't figured out how to chase you down in the US to collect the fine. So if you don't plan to bring the same car to Montreal again you don't need to pay. If you do come back and have enough unpaid fines you just might find a boot on your car.

I would recommend a parking garage near a metro station. Much less hassle.
If staying at a downtown hotel then just leave the car there and enjoy the as much beer as you want at the track. I recommend a soft cooler to bring your own beer. At the track you only get Bud whose only purpose is to show that Canadian mass produced beer is not so bad.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

As it relates to parking, I have parked in Old Montreal in an open lot the past few years not too far from Chinatown.You can pick up the subway nearby which takes you right to the track with one switch of trains. After the race is over you can get a quick getaway out of town from there as well.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

I have two Friday tickets and one Saturday ticket available at face value. Seats are in grandstand 31 section 1, row TT. Friday tix @$38, Saturday @$50, PM if interested.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like possible rain this weekend.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM
guydawger
Rennlist Member

I'm in..and only 3 years too late but there's info here to glean! hahaha... Lets go big brother!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You're just early for next year.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you kidding? On the corner of de Maisoneuve and Crescent is a really nice bar named "New House".
The french translation is Ville-Nueve.
Guess who owns it?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And further, if you have out of Quebec plates on your car and you park it on the street, your radio WILL be stolen. In the four years I lived there, I can't count how many I lost.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Wow. People actually steal car radios these days? Go figure.

Pity the fool that steals a Porsche radio, installs it, and actually has to listen to it...

Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Rumor has it the Patron by Yokohama GTC series will be running that weekend

Quick Reply: Canadian F1 GP Get Together