Sponsored by:

R.A.D.E.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrendeguire
good point on the grass. there was a yellow 911 (sc i think?) who i watched in front of me go straight off at track out, went straight thru the grass w dirt flying and came back on track afterwards w no problems. and he was still at a fast pace through it all. ben, i'll be out there for sure. i was looking today for sign up information but i didn't see it. i will probably try to sneak out there one more time prior to the end of august. i hear nord stern puts on a good event too. hope to meet some more of you guys out there next time.
Nord Stern is a good event, but the 20 minute run groups are brutal. I plan on emailing the coordinator and asking if they plan on changing it. It's a fun group, and much less crowded than Mem Day. 1 day it always rains, tho. :-)
Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

I was at RADE for the Novice Friday only (car #776). I had never been to RA before, and I am very impressed with the circuit.

My only other DE experience was at the Blackhawk Novice event, so RA is quite an eyeopener, to say the least...extreme braking and tons of gear changes.

I know this has been covered ad nauseum on this site, but here goes anyway...
I found myself struggling to change gears most of the day. My 2005 997 is bone stock, so I am considering a short shift kit and some better/bigger brakes for circuits like RA and Autobahn.

Any thoughts?

Also, I was disturbed to hear (from this thread) of the two incidents at RA. Does anyone have more details of the events?(driver, car number, experience level, run group)

As a new/novice track driver, any info would be extremely helpful.

Sorry to hijack this thread!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angelo1404
Hi Guys,

I was at RADE for the Novice Friday only (car #776). I had never been to RA before, and I am very impressed with the circuit.

My only other DE experience was at the Blackhawk Novice event, so RA is quite an eyeopener, to say the least...extreme braking and tons of gear changes.

I found myself struggling to change gears most of the day. My 2005 997 is bone stock, so I am considering a short shift kit and some better/bigger brakes for circuits like RA and Autobahn.

Any thoughts?

Also, I was disturbed to hear (from this thread) of the two incidents at RA. Does anyone have more details of the events?(driver, car number, experience level, run group)

First time out people will sometimes get excited about shifting and be on such an adrenaline high that shifting doesn't happen very well. Do you have trouble shifting on the street? If not I'm going to take a guess that it was a technique issue on the track.

Contrary to what you think, Blackhawk is actually much harder on brakes than either Road America or Autobahn. I go through a set of pads in 4-6 session at Blackhawk and can get 8-10 at Road America. A better move than big brake kit would be good trackpads, and a fresh brake bleed with good quality brake fluid.

As for the incidents. I wasn't at this event but have been at many DE events at Road America. 99% of the time the incidents were caused by a driver getting in over their head. There are a few places where pushing hard can get you in trouble at Road America. There are other places where there is more runoff room/speeds are slower and you can get away with a mistake more or less unscathed most of the time. The events have always been run very safely up there. On top of that, the safety crew at RA is second to none.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] ...
I found myself struggling to change gears most of the day. My 2005 997 is bone stock, so I am considering a short shift kit and some better/bigger brakes for circuits like RA and Autobahn....
It's sounds like it's just practice that you need. Shifting smoothly just takes a lot of practice. Ask your instructor for things you can do to improve.

...Also, I was disturbed to hear (from this thread) of the two incidents at RA. ...
LOL, if that disturbs you, then stay away from RA over PCA's labor day event. Typically, 2-3 cars get totalled per day. Last year was particularly bad. I'll never do the labor day event due to the extreme number of idiots out there. Two cars actually collided at the last corner. Amazing.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Azikara
Instructor

My 2005 997 is bone stock, so I am considering a short shift kit and some better/bigger brakes for circuits like RA and Autobahn.
I like what the Circuit Motorsports guy said: Work on shifting technique and forget about big brakes unless you just like looking at them. Porsche factory brakes are awesome. Get some Performance Friction PF97 pads all around, good fluid and decent braking technique and you will not have any issues. I race with the stock brakes and hardly even use them. They're fine.

It's easy to get caught up in the "I think I'll be faster if I modify this" game. At this level 90% of fast is between your ears and the coordination of hands, eyes and feet.

Happy driving
Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Originally Posted by Azikara
I like what the Circuit Motorsports guy said: Work on shifting technique and forget about big brakes unless you just like looking at them. Porsche factory brakes are awesome. Get some Performance Friction PF97 pads all around, good fluid and decent braking technique and you will not have any issues. I race with the stock brakes and hardly even use them. They're fine.

It's easy to get caught up in the "I think I'll be faster if I modify this" game. At this level 90% of fast is between your ears and the coordination of hands, eyes and feet.

Happy driving
Listen to this man! He is not only 100% correct, but he is also very fast! You do not need a brake upgrade on a 997. There is no way you are out driving the cars brakes. Like stated above, just change the pads and put some fluid in the car. I too race on stock size brakes in my GT3 and not only can I not upgrade them to a larger size, I really no not need to.

About the short shift kit, I would drive one before getting one put in. I have one put in my car and I do not like it. I might even remove it soon enough. Its notchy and in my opinion feels like crap. I would save the money on both these mods and if you modify anything, do the suspension. You can save a lot of money on these little mods and just get more track time, which will likely drop seconds from your lap times better than any single mod. Seat time/experience=faster lap times.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Chulo
Racer

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts?

As a novice in a VERY capable car, you'd really only need gears 3 and 4 at RA. Resist 5th, and certainly 6th. A 997's stock brakes are probably larger than the old big reds, which stop my 964 racer extremely well. So you are fine in the brake department. Blackhawk is a great place to practice, as is Autobahn. Are you going to do Autobahn? A bunch of us will be there.

Oh yeah... listen to Azzy and turbo s. On top of being great guys, they are consistent podium PCA racers, and both scary fast. Damn them.

In regards to the 2 cars that got balled up? Both should have been prevented, and were clearly driver errors.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Azikara
Instructor

Listen to this man! He is not only 100% correct, but he is also very fast!
Ha ha ha! You should see 944TURBOS in a go-kart. That's what will develop your cornering smoothness and speed. Now he's graduated to a GT3 it's bye-bye!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Ray, it was great meeting you at RADE, hope to see you at another event soon.

Angelo, I have to agree with the others about not modifying your 997. For your gear change problems I would recommend practice. It sounds silly, practice changing gears. Something my first Porsche mechanic said was to make sure you are letting the gear box work for you, instead of you forcing it to do what you want. As you drive around town try shifting gears with two fingers, either your thumb and index finger, or your index and middle fingers. You will soon know exactly how much force you need to use to move the transmission through all the gears.

I really enjoyed RADE this year (this is my second year). I put Hawk pads on, changed to some MPSCs, and had the alignment set more aggressive. At TRAC 07 I was pretty consistent with 3:05, at RADE 08 I was consistent with 2:55s. Not a bad improvement for my sophomore year.
--Joe
Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Originally Posted by Azikara
Ha ha ha! You should see 944TURBOS in a go-kart. That's what will develop your cornering smoothness and speed. Now he's graduated to a GT3 it's bye-bye!
Well thank you sir....however, I am consistently humbled every time I get in a go-kart....either I keep gaining weight or the younger drivers keep getting faster...which ever it is, I think I will continue to stick to the GT3! Speaking of karting, lets set something up for the near future.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
It's sounds like it's just practice that you need. Shifting smoothly just takes a lot of practice. Ask your instructor for things you can do to improve.

LOL, if that disturbs you, then stay away from RA over PCA's labor day event. Typically, 2-3 cars get totalled per day. Last year was particularly bad. I'll never do the labor day event due to the extreme number of idiots out there. Two cars actually collided at the last corner. Amazing.

Labor day race weekend is a zoo. Everyone is wound up. Even the slow group is fast.

Autobahn is a great track, I prefer it over Blackhawk. If you look on the ACC Calendar you can go out with other groups. Most of the track days are Mondays though.

I will be at Autobahn on the 9th.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Team944S2
Instructor

Normally incidents occur when folks overdrive their car and or ability. Some folks have the $$ to buy a GT3 or comparable and never learn to drive. Started my DE days in an '86 944 with 143 HP. Better known as a momentum car. That was the best thing that has helped me to drive faster then many GT3's in the back section of Road America and they pull away on the front straight. Regarding the incidents, if it was you and your incident probably a stealth identity would be best rather then posting it on the web. Still some room for the June 9th Autobahn full track event!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM
RickEtheridge
Advanced

Default Photos

A few from Saturday...

Rick
Attached Images       
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice/wisdom!
Reflecting on the day I spent on track at RADE, I was probably pushing too hard speedwise(I did catch 125 mph on the front straight) and that in turn caused me problems with braking/shifting. I do realize that.

To answer a few questions:
I don't have problems shifting on the street;
I wasn't part of either incident at RADE (I was gone by then);
I am still pondering a short shift kit;
I will be at Autobahn.

Thanks again everybody!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't worry angelo, we don't expect much from people who live in Homer Glen.

Quick Reply: R.A.D.E.