Sponsored by:

R.A.D.E.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Sorry I missed you. The weekend was good, but my Sunday lap times were horrible (worse than the cones should have dropped them).

That 996 crash was scary bad (I'm glad he walked away). Additionally, turn 14 collected another GT3 (I'm not sure why they seem to have problems there).

All in all a good weekend....
The guy with the GT3 totaled a 996 turbo 2 years ago at Gingerman, too.

The 996 wreck was very scary. I guess he forgot to check his pads, and went into 5 without brakes. Yikes...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by darrendeguire
No pictures from me but I have some in car video I recorded on Sunday in group 2. I haven't looked at it yet but I'll try to upload to youtube. I was in the red 993tt and it was great to see so many 993's on the track.
I remember the car. Zotz on the plates?? You were running in group 2 by the end of the weekend? Great looking car.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chulo
The 996 wreck was very scary. I guess he forgot to check his pads, and went into 5 without brakes. Yikes...

Glad he was okay.

Hope everyone had a good time. I had to miss it to get the house finished and packed up. It'll be a while before I get a chance to get back up there now.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Yep that was me...i started in group 3. i assume because they didnt have any history w me as it was my first event with this region. people were mostly good w point bye's tho. i asked pete on sat afternoon about moving up to group 2 and he agreed. group 2 was much better. the last session was great, maybe 15 cars or so. it was basically flat out the entire session. finally got some times under 2.35, just barely. i think w out the cones maybe another second. still learning the track and braking too early in 1, 5 and 12, mostly due to my brake confidence, or lack thereof. my pagid oranges were toast in the front and were fading pretty bad in those braking zones. cant wait to go back soon.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Chulo
Racer

Yep that was me...i started in group 3. i assume because they didnt have any history w me as it was my first event with this region. people were mostly good w point bye's tho. i asked pete on sat afternoon about moving up to group 2 and he agreed. group 2 was much better. the last session was great, maybe 15 cars or so. it was basically flat out the entire session. finally got some times under 2.35, just barely. i think w out the cones maybe another second. still learning the track and braking too early in 1, 5 and 12, mostly due to my brake confidence, or lack thereof. my pagid oranges were toast in the front and were fading pretty bad in those braking zones. cant wait to go back soon.
I was in 2 as well. 2.35 is pretty quick. Braking too early in the kink is not a bad thing if you are learning the track. 1 and 5 are pretty deep corners. I'll bet in a 993tt you are entering 5 at 150+?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

Glad he was okay.

Hope everyone had a good time. I had to miss it to get the house finished and packed up. It'll be a while before I get a chance to get back up there now.
He walked away. Car was a mess.

OT: in the market for a PISTA, I think. Want to PM me what you are doing for RL people?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chulo
He walked away. Car was a mess.

OT: in the market for a PISTA, I think. Want to PM me what you are doing for RL people?
For some reason there always seem to be some nasty looking incidents at Road America DE's but luckily people have always been fine.

Pm sent to you with what a nice Pista setup would be.

--Joe
Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

I didnt really look much at speedo but i did sneak a peak once or twice and it was over 150 but i really can't see it easily without moving my head as the momo steering wheel blocks that section of the speedo and by the time you try and do that its time for some serious whoa'ing...

as for the kink, that will take some serious getting used to. by Sunday i was comfortable going thru w out a little tap of the brakes but still not near what the car is capable of. i had one near grass full rumble strip track out and the pucker factor was full on. its like a concrete canyon thru there! carousel is fun tho. what kind of speeds you guys carry thru it? i was pretty much around 85 to 90 and throttle steering thru it. these tt's love to understeer.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Chulo
Racer

I didnt really look much at speedo but i did sneak a peak once or twice and it was over 150 but i really can't see it easily without moving my head as the momo steering wheel blocks that section of the speedo and by the time you try and do that its time for some serious whoa'ing...

as for the kink, that will take some serious getting used to. by Sunday i was comfortable going thru w out a little tap of the brakes but still not near what the car is capable of. i had one near grass full rumble strip track out and the pucker factor was full on. its like a concrete canyon thru there! carousel is fun tho. what kind of speeds you guys carry thru it? i was pretty much around 85 to 90 and throttle steering thru it. these tt's love to understeer.
I enter the kink at about 110, and brake to about 95. I could certainly take it quicker, but I'm still learning the car. I tap the brakes, late apex, and go. From the exit of the kink to Canada, I'm flat out. 135 +-. Fun part of the track.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Kink gets easier with time. It's more a rhytym thing as you get more laps through it.

The carousel can make a lot of cars understeer through it. About 2/3 of the way through it and right as you should start making your way back to the apex the camber changes and it falls away. In my car it is flatout usually but when the car has a push it show it there more than any other corner causing a light breath of the throttle. Not sure what my exit speed is there but it wouldn't be very analogous to any Porsche. Top of third so I'm guessing about 110-115 off the top of my head. However my car only gets to 140 by the end fo the backstragiht.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

agree that track out from the carousel is fast. im full on power at apex so track out is probably in the 120+ range in 4th gear. i was short shifting into 5th and feathering the throttle thru the kink. i wonder if a tap of the brakes prior to the kink to set the front suspension is the faster way through there vs just feathering the throttle?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

forgot to mention, love that section of the track too. from the kink on its a blast. turn 12 to 14 is great.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

agree that track out from the carousel is fast. im full on power at apex so track out is probably in the 120+ range in 4th gear. i was short shifting into 5th and feathering the throttle thru the kink. i wonder if a tap of the brakes prior to the kink to set the front suspension is the faster way through there vs just feathering the throttle?
General thought on the kink is get everything done before turn in and at a minimum be on maintnence throttle through it.

I've seen too many people spinning through the kink because of two major things. Turning in while still doing something and lifting at track out because you think you can't make it. Once you turn in you're committed. If worse comes to worse and you go out to the grass don't worry. Look ahead and you'll see the track coming back to you. Drive straight to it and you'll make it just fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Chulo
Racer

Tapping the brake to settle the front of the car is a good idea, imo. I'm far from the fastest guy out there, but most fast guys I know, including our chief instructor (who does high teens, low 20s) tap the brake there. It might be a left foot tap, but a tap nonetheless. Sounds like you were quick out there. Make sure to show up for Labor Day. Best event of the year.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

good point on the grass. there was a yellow 911 (sc i think?) who i watched in front of me go straight off at track out, went straight thru the grass w dirt flying and came back on track afterwards w no problems. and he was still at a fast pace through it all. ben, i'll be out there for sure. i was looking today for sign up information but i didn't see it. i will probably try to sneak out there one more time prior to the end of august. i hear nord stern puts on a good event too. hope to meet some more of you guys out there next time.

Quick Reply: R.A.D.E.