Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery choice....Odyssey PC680 or Braille 14115?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been running the 680 for over a year now. After 5 months in the garage over the winter it still had plenty of juice to turn the race car over. Never on a trickle charger or anything, never a problem to date.

Now I have a master cutoff switch, and not really much if any accessory power usage. So no real drain at all.

I could not stomach the cost of the Rennline mount, though it is nice. I am on Gen2 of my homemade mounting. The first was just heavy metal strapping custom bent and mounted to the factory holdown. Passed DE tech and never an issue but was told it wouldn't fly for racing. So this year I upgraded. Made a mount of angle and flat aluminum stock and riveted it all together. It's not going anywhere now and it doesn't look anywhere near as ghetto as Gen1.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
Hey Dell. I have the 680 and the Rennline mount for it. I like mine just fine. I keep it on a battery tender as well. There is a special charger that works much better and much faster than a regular battery tender. If you’re interested let me know and I’ll go check it out in the garage.

Just for fun, check this out. I am very tempted to try one: http://www.voltphreaks.com/

Hank
Hank, thanks for the input. That link have some WAY expensive 4# batteries!

FYI....I have one of the Ctek charger/maintainer setup of my other cars and am very happy with it. It's what I end up using. I know others that have the same setup (Odyssey PC680 and CTEK charger) and love it as well.

Looks like the Odyssey/Rennline mount/Ctek charger is the setup I am going with.

Thanks for the input everybody!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by KS-CS
If you want to save about $75, look for a Deka ETX14 - it is the same battery as the Braille 14115 (they are originally motorcycle/snowmobile batteries manufactured by Deka and rebadged by Braille to market to auto enthusiasts for the track etc.). I have been switching one out with my OEM for the track - no problem getting thru a long weekend with it.
Here yea go:

http://www.tnrbatteries.com/dekaetx1...FQ-WGgodNwVUgQ
Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought two Braille B2015 batteries. I use one in my race car and one to power my Superwinch 5000 in my trailer. This way, I have a spare battery if one fails. I bought my batteries for $150 each.

So far, the B2015 is amazing. I have used the one on my winch to load / unload my car several times during the past two race events with a trip to the shop in between WITHOUT RECHARGING THE BATTERY. These B2015 batteries are very small, light weight and powerful.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I have a 680 with the Rennline mount (really nice). 15 pounds for both. So far so good...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy a batter for a honda civic. They are like 14lbs but they are a fraction of the cost of the other batteries. You dont have to charge them every night to be able to start the car in the am. We have put them in all of our cars and they work great, they have enough CCA to start the car fine.

Just my cheap .02 opinion
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
Go buy a batter for a honda civic. They are like 14lbs but they are a fraction of the cost of the other batteries. You dont have to charge them every night to be able to start the car in the am. We have put them in all of our cars and they work great, they have enough CCA to start the car fine.

Can they be mounted sideways?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:42 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

hmm probably not but atleast in the 996,997, and 986's you dont need to.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 PM
David K.
Pro

This will be my 3rd season on my Braille. Here's the trick - NO TENDER over winters, a tender will kill the battery. Over the last 2 winter it held a charge and did not need any charge at all in the spring. Also always turn off your kill switch. If you do not have a kill switch you will drain the battery.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Benton
Drifting

David,
Are you thinking about a trickle charger or a float charger? I just don't see how a float charger (ala battery tender) could kill a battery; all they do is sense that the voltage has dropped below a certain level and charge the battery to back above an acceptable level. I'm no expert on this, so I'd love to be enlightened.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On regular car batteries, mostly Optimas and Interstates, I have used battery "tenders", or "float" chargers, for years with no problems (track cars, collector cars in storage, etc.). Is there something about the lightweight batteries that makes then not compatible with the good tenders out there? Do they like a different voltage?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
David K.
Pro

The recommendations for Braille was do not keep the battery on battery tender over the winter and disconnect it, I did and it worked. My last lightweight gel Baker battery got killed in one season; I used a small battery tender on that battery which I think is a float charger. I now only us a nice Sear charger with a maintenance function, which I never have to us on the Braille. Also my car is a track car no street driving or use of electric accessories.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Any issues running accessories like data, cameras etc?

I'm about to purchase either the 680 or the 925 from Odyssey

Sounds like the 680 is best for track but maybe the 925 is better for accessories and a more rustic storage situation?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

My PC680 was great for two years until last week. It died and won't take a charge.

I need to get one by next week for my racing needs. Timely post. They definitely have gone up in price a bunch since I bought mine!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by amondc

Sounds like the best idea to me. The PC680 was WAYYYY to big of a hassle with the extra weak cranking amps, even when left on a tender, and hard to jump as well. I just disconnected mine every time I got out since I dont drive the car much.

Now it's sitting in the garage charged and I'll change it when track day arrives.

Quick Reply: Lightweight battery choice....Odyssey PC680 or Braille 14115?