Sponsored by:

Nasa Race clothing rules?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasa Race clothing rules?

I am getting ready to obtain my NASA competition license and saw a couple of things in the rulebook that I would like clarified. My car is a 944Cup.

1. The rules specify a one piece driving suit. Given the large number of 2 piece suits available is this being enforced?

2. Head and neck restraint - is the Hans device the only thing that meets this requirement.

3. Not really a rules question, but I could use some advice in hot climates am I better off with a multi-layer suit or a single layer with Nomex underwear.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by johntorg
1. The rules specify a one piece driving suit. Given the large number of 2 piece suits available is this being enforced?
There are a large number of 2 piece suits available? Where? We must shop at different stores or websites. The only 2 piece suits I've seen in a long time are very thick suits designed for drag racing and they are generally made of very stiff nomex material. You wouldn't want one even if they were legal.

2. Head and neck restraint - is the Hans device the only thing that meets this requirement.
No

3. Not really a rules question, but I could use some advice in hot climates am I better off with a multi-layer suit or a single layer with Nomex underwear.
Multi-layer. The single layer suits are made to be cheap and are made of very stiff and non-breathing nomex. The more expensive multi-layer suits are made of much lighter and breathable materials. In general, the more expensive, the more comfortable.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think 2 piece suits are generally worn by crewmen on pit road or Drag racers.

Get a lightweight Nomex suit - if you can afford it. It will be cooler and more comfortable.

I believe NASA's H&N rule says that it must be a 38.1 approved device.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

If you are worried about the heat, get a cool shirt. Don't think that one nomex suit will be significantly cooler than another.

Even when racing in 30 degree temps your core body temps get very high and you sweat a lot. This is not good for your performance when in the car for more than 20 minutes, and it is usually cumulative over a weekend.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

^^^I really think every degree counts when your on the edge...I think its well worth it even for peace of mind.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am getting ready to obtain my NASA competition license and saw a couple of things in the rulebook that I would like clarified. My car is a 944Cup.

1. 2 piece = drag racing which does have a lot of participation which is why there are so many

2. Any of the SFI 38.1 devices. HANS, R3 Safety Solutions, etc.

3. You're going to be hot no matter what you wear. A one piece multilayer suit and underwear are not what you would normally wear in the heat so if you have the option a coolshirt is a nice option. I run an open wheel and I dream of a cool suit on the hot days.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On occasion NASA has required an "inspection" after a qualifying session and fined drivers who do not meet the clothing requirements (socks inspected). Your suit, helmet and other safety gear should get inspected as part of the event tech inspection.

It's up to you for a 2-layer or 3-layer suit. Yes, one will be warmer, but it will also provide a few additional seconds of protection if it's ever needed. Get a cool suit/cool shirt, they work great.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never seen it happen, but I hear that guys do get dinged for socks
Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkM
Don't think that one nomex suit will be significantly cooler than another.
I definitely agree on your cool suit recommendation, but I disagree that the suit doesn't make a difference. There is a HUGE difference in my opinion between the cheaper suits and the more expensive suits from a heat standpoint. I've worn both in open wheel and closed wheel cars...even if you don't "feel" a huge difference while focused on driving the car, there is definitely a difference. If nothing else, a lighter suit keeps you far more comfortable while waiting on the grid rather than letting you get overheated before you ever strap into the car.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I've never seen it happen, but I hear that guys do get dinged for socks
I haven't had it happen in a while but they do occasionally check everyone's socks.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
If you are worried about the heat, get a cool shirt. Don't think that one nomex suit will be significantly cooler than another.
I've worn 3 different Sparco suits on track all in the same size (Sprint5, Tech5, and X-Light) and there is a HUGE difference between them, the more expensive suits are lighter, thinner, breathe more, and fit better. Buy the nicest suit you can afford, if you buy a cheap suit you are probably going to replace it within a couple of seasons anyway if you go to the track a lot. A CoolSuit is always a nice to have too but it is less of a requirement if you have a nice 3 layer suit.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

NASA's rules seem clear and unamibiguous to me. As for suits, issues related to layers, materials and such should be taken seriously. I have recently been in close touch with many of the world's foremost experts on heat illnesses and dehydration. Track driving and racing create cardiovascular stress and raise the body's core temperature. Ambient conditions and clothing add to that. The principal way the body tries to shed heat is via sweat, and to do that, it must use water. That is where proper hydration comes in. Anything we can do to keep our core body temps as low as possible is good, including the suit. Even better to have a cool shirt type system with the best suit (in terms of heat management and fire protection). Even better is to make sure we are properly hydrated before we start. And also important, we need to get rehydrated appropriately.

Someday we may have a tool to make sure we are properly hydrated... working on that now.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks, for all the help. I'm about to lay out the money for my race clothes and didn't want to waste it on something I'd be dissatified with later. Does anyone have experience with the Safety Solutions Hybrid Rage http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/?ID=74 Vs. the Hans Sport? It looks as if the Hans might be more comfortable and easier to put on and remove.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
On occasion NASA has required an "inspection" after a qualifying session and fined drivers who do not meet the clothing requirements (socks inspected). Your suit, helmet and other safety gear should get inspected as part of the event tech inspection.
Yes I have heard of inspections. Really NASA does not like to do them since they are sort of remedial type stuff. Racers should be responsible enough to use the right equipment to keep themselves safe. The standards are called out clearly in the CCR's.

The new requirment is now for SFI 38.1 compliant head and neck restraints. Since this a new requirement I expect all NASA regions to activly be checking for use of these. HANS meets the standard and is by far the most common one out there. There are some other SFI 38.1 complaint restraints as well, but I am not up an all of them.

Relative to heat. In Arizona we often race in the heat so many use cool shirts. I do not, but for years I have always had a drink bottle in the car. It is actually a camelbak hiking hydration system. I strap it the cage for the race and then can drink water when ever I need to. I rarely use it for practice since 20 minutes is not bad and if I do get overheated I can always pull off track. The races are 30-40 mintues, higher intensity and don't allow for pulling when you get thirsty. Plust they are nealy always held at the hotest time of the day. It is amazing how a drink of cool water can refocus your mind during race with abient temps at 95F.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Please understand, I'm pretty new at this. After seeing the 2pc suits for sale with the same SFI rating as the one piece suits, I was a little confused. I also received some advice that it was better to sweat into your Nomex underwear than your multi-ply race suit. I think this was to cut down on the amount of dry-cleaning which might reduce the fire retardent nature of the suit. Regarding the Head/Neck restraints, I'll probably go with the Hans Sport, unless somone knows of any advantage to the Safety Solutions equipment. My budget is not unlimited and if anyone has suggestions for a multi-ply suit in the $500 ot $600 range, I'd appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Nasa Race clothing rules?