Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS vs Grand Am Rolex

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Daytona prototypes are a tubular steel chassis whereas the ALM prototypes are carbon fibre monocoupe chassis. Grand Am desires all of the DPs to run a similar production based V8, the would like to see the Porsche 6 disappear. The cars are very spec like, only a few chassis manufacturers allowed, and only a few engines allowed with tight control over camshaft profile, compression ratio, etc. Grand Am DPs are Nascar for road courses. The cars must be a blast to drive, but they are not like the prototypes in ALMS which are technically superior.

No merger will ever happen.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I like the existence of both series.

GA Rolex for the "budget" minded.

ALMS for the bigger "budget" minded.

There is now real racing in ALMS, Audi versus Porsche versus Acura/Honda, and Porsche versus Ferrari. This is good for us, the fans.

GA has always had tighter races, as governed by their rules. I think DP cars are really ugly.
+1

They are very different and I like being able to watch both.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's significant differences in the two series' cars. ALMS allows more technology into their series such as composite brakes and different sized fuel cells. This is because the manufacturers, who are the prime competitors in ALMS want to showcase and test their technology. Grand AM on the other hand, is more of a spec-series for the privateer. Although GM, Honda, Toyota and Porsche supply assistance to the teams in the form of engine programs and making factory drivers available for the premier races, the cars are built-up from the owners purchasing the chassis from one of I believe there is like 5 approved chassis manufacturers, and the four approved engine manufacturers.

Its kind of entertaining racing because its like NASCAR on a road course I guess and nobody can really run away too far from the rest of the competition resulting in tight racing. But they seem to have the NASCAR fender rubbing, door-banging mentality, although lately ALMS hasn't been far behind in that regard either.

In the ALMS defense the contact results because the LMPs are mixed in with two classes of slower GT cars. The prototypes seem to have no issue with punting off-track if they feel they're getting held-up. In GA its my perception that the GT cars aren't appreciably slower than the Prototypes so its one big pack screaming around the track like a bunch of Sprint Cup cars around an oval.

Different strokes for different folks, but I'm still an ALMS fan. I haven't been back to the 24 Hours of Daytona since they went GA.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by srf506
But they seem to have the NASCAR fender rubbing, door-banging mentality
Says the guy who races a Spec Wrecker Ford.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hey Brian,
Yep, for us amateurs SCCA SRF racing is a great way to go because it is a driver's series, and relatively speaking cheap. I can't get away from anyone and they can't get away from me! So it does breed a lot of Kamikazee moves and banging and pushing. But you also learn car control, and how to set someone up for the pass too.

The most expensive incident I've ever had was backing it into the wall at Daytona. That's hitting the expensive end by the way. Ripped the right rear suspension and frame off the car. After getting my CSR to do a rear frame clip, I rebuilt the rest of the car in about a two-month period of time just working weekends on it. The total bill was $5 grand. You do get a lot of practice in fiberglass repair, painting, replacing bent suspension pieces, and the occasional radiator replacement. However, when all of the IT and GT guys were thrashing in the pits rebuilding motors, trannys, and the like, I'd make a couple of chassis and air pressure adjustments, bolt check it, look for leaks and any other discrepencies, which were rare, gas it, and then sit down, get a cool drink, watch my in-car video, look at the data, think about the next session, have lunch, and be rested to go back out on track.

If you can drive an SRF fast, you're a quick racer because its nothing but a momentum car. If you're braking or lifting you're losing. You learn left-foot braking, trail-braking and all kinds of other tricks to keep the fast pedal down and your speed up. Its like a big shifter kart.

SRF is a great entry-level, amateur class. By the time you're good enough to drive the Rolex, or ALMS, I'd assume you'd be way past this point and driving style. Unfortunately, all too often they're not, in either series! I can understand it on the last lap, going for the win or a position. But in a 12 or 24-hour race you aren't going to win until the last lap so you have to stay smooth, keep the car clean and be there at the end. I've never done a real study, but its my perception that usually the overall winner is the one who spent the least time in the pits. Banging around on each other and having to make stops to repair damage and impact the car's maximm performance isn't the way to do that.

My real reason for preferring ALMS is the technology. I want to see the manufacturer's develop, and integrate technology they developed on the track into production cars. I think that's the win-win of racing. The GA guys are just SCCA SRF and IT racers with a lot bigger budget.

Just my $.02 though. If you ever get down here to the SEDivision let me know. We'll hook up and have a beer.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by ajcjr
yeah that does seem weird.

this is my biggest complaint against ALMS--the fields for some of the categories are too small--way too small for GT 1--it's actually really stoopid...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

My real reason for preferring ALMS is the technology. I want to see the manufacturer's develop, and integrate technology they developed on the track into production cars. I think that's the win-win of racing. The GA guys are just SCCA SRF and IT racers with a lot bigger budget.
I agree, and that's why I also like the GT classes. DP is like NASCAR in that technology is strictly limited to keep costs down. You have to recognize that the DP formula is obviously successful. They've gotten a lot of teams put together, and some high quality drivers. A few years ago, it looked like they would start to run DPs in parallel with some NASCAR events, and put some moonshiners behind the wheel of DPs. Too bad it didn't seem to take hold. I'd love to see the top NASCAR guys running DPs at the road courses and infield courses.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Racing all the same cars is pretty boring to me with Grand AM Rolex. I usually fast forward the broadcast til they get to showing the GT cars. Its almost as boring as watching GT1 in ALMS. How can these guys even accept a trophy with a straight face. DUDE! 2 cars is not a class. They would be better off making a GT3 class where ALL world challenge cars from any year could compete!

Since there is such a problem with popularity with sports car racing, GRANDAM Rolex has just diluted it even more. combine the grand am cars with alms. forget about running those porsche cup cars in Grand am GT2, and leave them to the supercup series. run all alms porsches in a class called GT2 accross the board. kick up the power of the vets and RX8s and vipers and let them all go at it.
Take the DPs and toss them or make them a little larger or faster to compete with the LMP2s. Better yet, ditch the DPs and Ditch the LMP2 and LMP1 class and make GT1 the showcase sportscar class, so we get cars that look like sports cars again! In my opinon, who needs "formula 1 cars" with Fenders!

mk
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Daytona Prototype:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...of_status_quo/

ALMS GT1 does have an improvement over 2007 with the addition of Bell Motorsports with drivers Terry Borcheller and Chapman Ducote.

Jim Bell helped with the winning Kremer Porsche 935 at Le Mans in 1979.

http://www.americanlemans.com/driver...eam.aspx?ID=35

http://www.terryborcheller.com/

http://www.chapmanducote.com/

Inside the team's progess:

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=4057

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
In my opinon, who needs "formula 1 cars" with Fenders!
The best and most historic sports cars in the world (including Porsches) have all been prototype cars. You can't get rid of purpose built race cars...that's the entire point of sports car racing. GT cars are fun, but they aren't "real", built from the ground up, race cars.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Depends on the GT car and sanctioning body I guess Bryan. As I understand it, and since I pay scant attention to GA I could be wrong, but the Pontiacs running in the GT class are tube-framed almost mini-Sprint Cup cars. The Porsches however, are uni-body tubs with some stiffening enhancements and driver protection pieces added from the factory in Germany when sold as a customer race chassis. Somehow, that doesn't seem to quite jive with equality IMHO. That purpose-built tube-frame should be a much better base for the car's other systems to work from. Since I have no real knowledge of the circumstances behind this I don't know if its a rule issue from the sanctioning body, or the manufacturers made that decision.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Depends on the GT car and sanctioning body I guess Bryan. As I understand it, and since I pay scant attention to GA I could be wrong, but the Pontiacs running in the GT class are tube-framed almost mini-Sprint Cup cars. The Porsches however, are uni-body tubs with some stiffening enhancements and driver protection pieces added from the factory in Germany when sold as a customer race chassis. Somehow, that doesn't seem to quite jive with equality IMHO. That purpose-built tube-frame should be a much better base for the car's other systems to work from. Since I have no real knowledge of the circumstances behind this I don't know if its a rule issue from the sanctioning body, or the manufacturers made that decision.
In Grand-Am GT, you have the choice of two different rules sets. To this point, the Porsche teams have chosen to use the rule set that requires the stock unibody while some other teams have built tube frame machines. I like each set of rules for different reasons. I think Grand-Am has done a great job of equalizing the two rule sets.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Cool, thanks for the info Bryan. I didn't know there was two different GT classes in GA. Who else besides Porsche runs in the uni-body class?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, thanks for the info Bryan. I didn't know there was two different GT classes in GA. Who else besides Porsche runs in the uni-body class?
I am curious about your screen name. Do you own #506?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I owned SRF chassis number 506. I finally sold her last year when work just got to the point I was looking at it lovingly in the garage versus driving it anymore. That's been my screen name ever since I got her in 1991. I'm hoping to get one of the new SCCA sports racers in a couple of years when this project I'm on slows down, or I decide to go sail the Carribean and get a big sailboat! Either way, the outlay's about the same!...Jim P.

Quick Reply: ALMS vs Grand Am Rolex