Sponsored by:

CoolShirt - tubing getting pinched?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
that's the same problem that Gary has with his. You'd think if it was from pinching that it would happen as soon as you strapped in, not after driving for a while. Might be a weak pump that has trouble when the water is sloshing.
I'm 90% sure my problem is in the fittings leaving the cooler, hope to test the theory at Cups by rigging a direct feed. I know my pump is running, I know there is plenty of water, and i'm pretty sure it isn't a pinched hose under the HANS. I tested it by putting my drains on the hoses (where they plug into the shirt) when it seemed to have stopped circulating and I got nothing. I unplugged the hoses from the cooler and put the drains on there, water came flying out. Leads me to believe the fittings on the hose are suspect.. Also I don't use the flow potentiometer as I heard they can cause problems with the motor, straight 12V to the motor.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sean, thanks so much! I was actually on the AP website earlier but didn't even think to do the drop down to select. I was searching high and low for the HANS option. Now I know. Many thanks!
I'm coming to the conclusion that all Cool Shirts made in the last couple of years or so for motor sports are HANS friendly and do not have tubing over the shoulder or otherwise where a HANS would pinch them.

Can anyone confirm or correct that view?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

My brand new hooded shirt has tubes over the shoulder, my old (two years ago) non-hoody doesn't. I really don't think pinching is an issue, at least I know it isn't my issue as both shirts did exactly the same thing.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary,

Did you have to buy a bigger helmet for the hoodie cool shirt? I wore a baclava a few times and I could feel the difference, so I'm sure the hoodie cool shirt would be tight in there.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My brand new hooded shirt has tubes over the shoulder, my old (two years ago) non-hoody doesn't. I really don't think pinching is an issue, at least I know it isn't my issue as both shirts did exactly the same thing.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I didn't, but I have always worn a balaclava (as a washable helmet liner) so I was used to the fit. When that ice water hits your head you're in heaven.. just don't let anyone see you or your buddies will nickname you the giant sperm... right MIKE?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have experienced the same problem and asked about pinching in the other cool suit thread. I attribute mine to the exit location of the hoses under my left arm, and using a containment seat the Recaro Pro Racer Hans.

I always unzip my suit and pull the hoses towards the center of my chest before going out, but eventually they slip back under my arm and get pinched. This past weekend I put on my older non-Hans cool shirt and for some reason it didn't pinch all weekend. I tired one session with the newer shirt and it pinched up 5 minutes into the session so I went back to the old shirt again and it works fine. Go figure....
The hose routing appears the same on both shirts, but one works, the other doesn't....
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the durometer of the new tubing is less than the old tubing. It doesn't take much force to collapse the tubing with your fingers...

Quick Reply: CoolShirt - tubing getting pinched?