Sponsored by:

Lap Timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
An aside: if I'm your instructor, and I see you paying any attention to your DAS screen 'in real time,' we're going into the pits and having a long talk about situational awareness, priorities and safety.
Point taken... we're not talking about an immediate purchase... just ideas for the future, perhaps when I'm solo'd and getting closer to a level where competitive lap times are important (i.e., racing). I also don't think that glancing down for a nano-second at the beginning of a long straight without any traffic necessarily represents a lack of situational awareness, priorities or safety. However, I do what my teach tells me to do. Also, if you were in the right seat, I wouldn't need the DAS, as I'd have you giving me the feedback. Unfortunately, I won't have an instructor with me forever.

Last edited by ninjabones; 06-18-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
The MaxQdata allows you to set up as many manual beacons as you like, just tap the track map where you want them. I would imagine the other GPS systems should have similar programs. It appears to be simply a function of the software because the GPS records your position throughout the run.
Sounds like you've got the hang of it Giacomo!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Predictive lap times are only really important when you are trying to qualify for a race, not in the race. You can see how you are doing and decide to back off to get space from the car ahead to get a better time in the next lap or continue pushing hard in the current lap (knowing the naxt lap will be slower due to having to try to pass).

I'm firmly with Jack when it comes to DE. Unless you are in the advanced run group, you should be paying zero attention to lap times while you are out on the track.

Quick Reply: Lap Timer