Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap Timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are buying a used lap timer set up for under $100 or so, I see little value in investing in such dated technology. A GPS based system provides a world of information in comparison. Even an entry level system, like the MaxQData system which Gary so kindly introduced me to, is $289 plus a pocket PC. It is the difference between being able to analyze your driving (although this does take time) vs. just reading one lap time every couple of minutes.

Gary - I missed your post asking about my race. It was a fabulous yet humbling experience. On the weekend I left the track in four of six runs including spinning in the 85th minute of the enduro. Oh well, hoping to improve at a more familiar track - just 6.5 weeks to the Mosport club race. So much happens at a club race that it really doesn't provide much time for things like ... data analysis.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Unless you are buying a used lap timer set up for under $100 or so, I see little value in investing in such dated technology. A GPS based system provides a world of information in comparison. Even an entry level system, like the MaxQData system which Gary so kindly introduced me to, is $289 plus a pocket PC. It is the difference between being able to analyze your driving (although this does take time) vs. just reading one lap time every couple of minutes.

Gary - I missed your post asking about my race. It was a fabulous yet humbling experience. On the weekend I left the track in four of six runs including spinning in the 86th minute of the enduro. Oh well, hoping to improve at a more familiar track - just 6.5 weeks to the Mosport club race. So much happens at a club race that it really doesn't provide much time for things like ... data analysis.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Agreed...I went with the G2X to get some data logging capability along with lap times. Every time I'm at the track it seems that someone is having trouble with their beacon dependent lap timer and there's the inevitable "I didn't get any lap times". The GPS-based systems won't have that issue.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Will this maxQdata system allow corner entry/exit speeds, track maping as well as points of acceleration and deceleration, g's ect.

So what is the actual set up and wiring in car?????
Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
Will this maxQdata system allow corner entry/exit speeds, track maping as well as points of acceleration and deceleration, g's ect.

So what is the actual set up and wiring in car?????
Yes. There is no wiring, it communicates via Bluetooth. Velcro the matchbox sized GPS receiver to the top of the dash, velcro a PDA to the front where you can see/reach it. Done. It you want you can plug the PDA charger into the cig lighter to keep it fully charged at all times, the GPS lasts over 20 hours per charge..
Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Gary are there any special features the pda should have or special items in the service plan? Does this application run off minutes or internet minutes? Is a used treo a good choice for this application or is there another? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renvagn
Gary are there any special features the pda should have or special items in the service plan? Does this application run off minutes or internet minutes? Is a used treo a good choice for this application or is there another? Thanks.
It has to run Windows Pocket PC OS and have Bluetooth.. You really need to go to the site and read up, i'm no expert and i'm not up to date with what they offer now.. http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPSCustomOrder.htm . They sell a complete system with PDA for $489 for one example..

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an AIM and am very happy w/it. Transmitter runs on 12 volt or a series of AA and the AA's last forever!
No beacon confusion as I can estimate my lap time and if it sees another becon withen 7 seconds (I think) before or after, it will ignore.
However. If I was in the market now, I would seriously think of saving up an additional $500 and get a traqmate or similar.
I read of a new one that will give you your current lap time as of the specific place on the track you are AND tell you how you fare against you best lap time at that place. In other words, you're in turn 3 at 22.5 seconds into the lap. It will show on on your best lap you were 22 seconds at that point and 0.5 seconds off your best. I think that would be very useful information as it give you real time feedback if you want to see if a new line is faster or slower. That always was an expensive feature. This new one will give you that and was only $1600.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pat056
I have an AIM and am very happy w/it. Transmitter runs on 12 volt or a series of AA and the AA's last forever!
No beacon confusion as I can estimate my lap time and if it sees another becon withen 7 seconds (I think) before or after, it will ignore.
However. If I was in the market now, I would seriously think of saving up an additional $500 and get a traqmate or similar.
I read of a new one that will give you your current lap time as of the specific place on the track you are AND tell you how you fare against you best lap time at that place. In other words, you're in turn 3 at 22.5 seconds into the lap. It will show on on your best lap you were 22 seconds at that point and 0.5 seconds off your best. I think that would be very useful information as it give you real time feedback if you want to see if a new line is faster or slower. That always was an expensive feature. This new one will give you that and was only $1600.
It's called "Predictive Lap Times" if I understand you correctly, most of the new GPS based systems have it AFAIK. I know my AIM Pista does, but that was a bit more than $1600...
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Do any of the GPS-based data loggers give you ability set up and view sector times in real time (rather than dowloading and viewing on your computer later)? Predictive lap times seams useful, but only if the track is open for the entire lap. It seams that it might give you useful real-time info on the first few corners, but only up to the point where you hit traffic again. I'd like to be able to set up a few sectors that I'm having problems with, and then view them in real time in-car. That way, you can try different approaches and get immediate feedback. Right now, I'm still instructed, so I get instant feedback from the right seat. However, I don't know if I'm going to have that luxury for long.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

AIM MyChron Light: http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html
Old 06-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I don't know if 'predictive lap time' is the same as 'lap time since last here'. The basic MaxQData system gives you 'lap time since last here' which works like an almost infinite number of beacons so that you have a running lap time at every point on the track. If you slow down in a section your lap time will increase and if you speed up your lap time will decrease. The only drawback is that it can get a little distracting because you now have reason to constantly look at your time because it is continuously changing.

The upper end units with GPS provide such information but we have far exceeded the price range where we are comparing a lap timer ($250) to a basic plug and play GPS data logger ($300 to $500). Systems like Aim and iq3, installed with a couple of sensors, easily get into the $2000 to $4000 range.

The one great advantage of a pocket PC system, like MaxQData, is that you can analyze right off the pocket PC. There is no need to bring a computer to the track, turn on computer, download data and then analyze. You will often just want to just spend a few minutes looking over the run and the pocket PC makes that much quicker. Full data analysis, which may take several hours, is more comfortable on a notebook or desktop largely because of the larger screen and full size keyboard, but for the quick stuff the pocket PC works fine. The pocket PC also has many other uses outside of motorsport.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman

That's exactly what I'm looking for... but in a GPS-based device. The Aim Mychron unit is beacon based and you need to position multiple beacons around the track to capture sector times. It seams pretty slick, as it gives you not only the individual sector times in real-time, but also gives you variation split times (difference from the previous lap). Very neat.... is this available in one of the more cost-effective GPS-based devices like Traqmate, G2X, or DL1?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
It seams that it might give you useful real-time info on the first few corners, but only up to the point where you hit traffic again. I'd like to be able to set up a few sectors that I'm having problems with, and then view them in real time in-car. That way, you can try different approaches and get immediate feedback. Right now, I'm still instructed, so I get instant feedback from the right seat. However, I don't know if I'm going to have that luxury for long.
An aside: if I'm your instructor, and I see you paying any attention to your DAS screen 'in real time,' we're going into the pits and having a long talk about situational awareness, priorities and safety.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Giacomo
Pro

The MaxQdata allows you to set up as many manual beacons as you like, just tap the track map where you want them. I would imagine the other GPS systems should have similar programs. It appears to be simply a function of the software because the GPS records your position throughout the run.

Quick Reply: Lap Timer