Lap Timer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,618 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
+1 on the Aim lap timer. Mine works perfectly, is easy to read, and since not too many run them, there is no beacon signal confusion. Too many beacons is a common issue with the Hotlap timers.

I had an Intercomp timer, but I think I got 2 laps worth of information in 2.5 years of use. Junk...
AIM and ultra lap are the samething.
they run the same beacon.
AIM has button push buttons.
i got ultra lap, i am buying a aim soon.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Figures...I did a little research before bought the Intercomp unit, and I was convinced it was the unit to have.
I should have consulted RL then.
I had low expectations for it so that may have been the difference. All I was looking for was a lap time to pop up after I passed the beacon. I was able to install it in 15 minutes and it gave me the lap times.

UltraLap and AIM aren't the same thing. They are different companies. They do run off of the same style beacon. AFAIK they are pretty similar I don't know much about the Ultralap. I think the Ultralap has a couple more random features but not much different than the AIM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Gary,

I'm willing to buy your maxdata setup. I will be at the cups & saucers event so you could teach me how to use it. What else would I need to install in my 968 F stock race car.

Regards,

Giacomo
Gary,

OK, I'll take it.
I presume you also have the PDA accesories? charger, syncing CD etc.
Is it OK to meet at the event or would you like me to send funds in advance?
Giacomo
You might want to give DanR, the original poster, the right of first refusal for Gary's timing equipment.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ultralap has been rock solid for me, and is extremely well made. I rarely use my own beacon because there's usually one or more Ultralap or Aim beacons set up trackside. The Ultralap does not get tricked by multiple beacons like the Hot Lap! The Ultralap displays the best lap of the session at the end of the session, and stores each session with date & timestamp. It displays in-car temperature, which can be a scary number in mid-summer :-)

I have a full Ultralap setup with the beacon, a gel cel battery that lasts for days and a charger in a carry case, as well as the in-car display and receiver. First $200 takes it!

SOLD to Larry P.

Last edited by APKhaos; 05-05-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
You might want to give DanR, the original poster, the right of first refusal for Gary's timing equipment.
Yes, Dan does have 1st shot as it was offered to him as a response to his post. As soon as he let's me know it's either sold or still for sale.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it with us Porsche guys? Are we behind the event horizon? Have you noticed that nothing ever escapes the vortex? Stuff moves from driver to driver but stays within the community. Amazing!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Dan has declined so Giacomo is it unless he declines at Cups..
Old 05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it works it will not be declined.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

As long as it works it will not be declined.
Well as it is said, no good deed goes unpunished. Giacamo found me at the Cups and Saucers event and purchased the system. As I am relatively computer literate I wanted to be sure he had all the latest updates available before he got the system as most people will just use it as is and not even know there are new software/firmware updates out there. Do I try it out after updating.. Nooooo, i'm WAY to smart for that! Does the update pork all the settings? yeeeessss of COURSE it does! So here I am handing it over and guess what.. it doesn't work. The Dell PDA works fine, the GPS unit turns on fine, but unless he just wants to play Solitaire or Minefield it's NG. Now on top of feeling like crap, driving like crap, I have to fix whatever I did in order to take a $300 loss and keep my reputation (which after Cups is waning fast). I made a couple lucky guesses (common in the IT business) and all is well.

So Giacomo, did you get your lap times, etc? BEST of luck at your first club race, I wish I could be there but be sure to find my other friends. Larry S., if you read this please take a minute to help a new guy out..
Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,

I am running DE's only, and have found the combination of a Bluetooth GPS receiver and a cheapo Palm PDA (like a used Treo 650 off Ebay) with Harry's Laptimer to be very effective. It may not be an end-to-end solution but for the hobbyist the following links will prove useful in customizing their solution.

http://www.schlangmann.mynetcologne....mer/index.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holux-GPSlim-236...2em118Q2el1247

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-PALM-TREO-6...QQcmdZViewItem

Joost
Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Gary,

I wan't to thank you for your help in getting the update sorted following which the system worked just fine. Now I just need to read the 150+ page owners manual and understand all its capabilities. I appreciate that your assistance went above and beyond the service that might be expected for such a discounted price. As an aside, I have already used it when flying as it also provides altitude, ground speed, latitude and longtitude coordinates in case I get lost.

Thanks again,

G
Old 05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gary,

I wan't to thank you for your help in getting the update sorted following which the system worked just fine. Now I just need to read the 150+ page owners manual and understand all its capabilities. I appreciate that your assistance went above and beyond the service that might be expected for such a discounted price. As an aside, I have already used it when flying as it also provides altitude, ground speed, latitude and longtitude coordinates in case I get lost.

Thanks again,

G
Was my pleasure Giacomo, I thought it was a funny story and typical of the way things go.. the big question is, how was your 1st race??
Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Very informative thread. I've been looking for a lap timer. Looks like the consensus is that Ultralap is a good one. Anybody know where to buy in Canada?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

So would you still get the ultra lap vs going with a GPS and palm set-up???
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renvagn
So would you still get the ultra lap vs going with a GPS and palm set-up???
Two completely different animals.. Lap times vs. Lap times, track mapping, speed, G's, accel/deccel Data. You can even create Trackvision video's with MaxQData's output.. and Trackvision software of course.

Quick Reply: Lap Timer