Another Street V. R Compound question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
No doubt. I just get a laugh out of all the back-and-forth commentary. If you want to learn car control, go find a '73S. I took it one step further 28 years ago with a '68S wannabe, so no torque but you'd better know (or figure out quickly) what the hell you're doing. In '83, with the showroom stock car I mentioned above, the Yokohama A001R was new in the US. Even in a 185/70-13 on an RX-7.......wow. Of course you could say a modern mediocre street tire works better than those did. But you still had limits to learn in any case.
Car control - in 76 i had a 68 firebird convertible. when i was running baloney skins (the most popular tire in the late 70s) i hasd to learn some car control.

now i am older and trying to be a little bit wiser (wise as in safe).

I bet no matter what you are driving, you would hate to be the car in back of me should i put the Rs on prematurely and learn the hard way that i put them on prematurely.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I bet no matter what you are driving, you would hate to be the car in back of me should i put the Rs on prematurely and learn the hard way that i put them on prematurely.
Not at all. As long as you were consistent and on line, whatever differing skill level.......I'd wait for the appropriate time to pass (whether point by in a lower level DE session.....which I wouldn't be in.....or an open track/race where I'd likely do it safely under braking)
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

but, if i am lapping a car, is it really just a reflection of the other's inability, or......
In the green run group, I would suspect 90-95% other driver, 5-10% you. Give or take. If you are on a 3:00 track, running for 15 minutes (not including warm/up-down), you would need to be between 30-45 seconds faster than the other guy to pass and then lap him. If that was the case, he would probably be (politely) classified OSB. And, if you are 30-45 seconds faster than most of the green group, you are as much of a hazard to them as they are to you, and the instructor set should push you up to the next group.

As for the R's, put them on when you feel ready. The track will still be there for ya

-td
Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Palting
996 C4S - His
987 S - Hers
S80 T6 Volvo
'08 Suburban LTZ
Kia Sportage AWD

You have choice. You simply chose multiple street cars! For the annual fuel bill on that Suburban, you could have a 944 track ho!

I think I would look funny , though, if my C4S had to trailer my 944 track ho!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I think I would look funny , though, if my C4S had to trailer my 944 track ho!
That's what the kia is for.

Quick Reply: Another Street V. R Compound question