Another Street V. R Compound question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Another Street V. R Compound question

Long story short, at my last DE, which was last September at Lime Rock my instructor suggested I start to look at stickier tires. I got two sets of used Rs from someone local last week.

I moved to Denver and signed up for a DE with BMWCCA at the end of May at Pueblo, which is a track I have never driven on. I am waitlisted for Saturday but got Sunday.

I also signed up for a DE with PCA at Pueblo the next weekend but just found out I can only go Saturday (gotta do the mile high madness scooter rally with my next door neighbor).

My fear is since I am starting on a new track the second day of an event I will have a steep learning curve my first day on a track with people that drove it the day before. the second week I will just be getting into the groove when it's time to leave.

As a green, should I go with the streets, or try the Rs i just got?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Tom: I spent last week at mid ohio on street tires, and found it terrific to learn a new track on squeely, safe tires. Nothing wrong, and everything right, about staying on streets for a few more events at all the new tracks out there.

Are you doing the event with the neighbor in the new lawnmower?

MHM
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I say go with the street tires. True, street tires will give and slip sooner than R-compounds, but that's what you want at a a new track. You'll learn more about the track, where to throttle steer, trail brake, rotate, etc. The street tires will let you make your car do these at lower speeds until you get comfortable with the track and can do them at higher speeds on the R-compounds. When you are loudly squealing your street tires under comfortable control at every and all corners, then it's time to switch to R-compounds.

Don't be intimidated by the guys that were there the day before thinking they know the track more than you, Just drive your lines and learn the track. The others can wait for the straights where you can comfortably give them the passing signal. You paid your money and have as much right as they do to be there enjoying yourself. That's DE.

Just curious. You said green for the new track. What run group do you usually run in?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:23 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

I would advise against making your first foray onto Rs on a track you don't know. Rs are for when you can't get it to go any faster around corners on streets. Street tires will be more fun anyway since you can push their limits more while you are learning the track.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Missing bits of information are what brand/model of tires they are (not to mention what kind of shape they're in).
Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First off, if you still are instructed, I'd stay away from R-comps, especially Hoosiers. In fact, I don't see any reason to run Hoosiers unless you are racing. Here's why - they wear much quicker, give you much less feedback, and all to pick up say 1 second if a very advanced driver at 10/10 at a track like Lime Rock? Here's some general theoretical based on my running PS2, RA1, and PSCup at Lime Rock for several years (I'm in Black): On my 997S the PS2 is 1:03s, RA1 is 1:02s, and PSCup is 1:01s. Hoosiers might be 1:00. 1:03s is VERY fast for a bone stock car on street tires and probably still more than you need, especially if an instructed student trying out a new track. If you are talking about RA1s, then I'm less concerned as they are a pretty good hybrid tire.

So the point - is it worth it to have downside risk in order to pick up a theoretical 1 second on the track?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would stay in streets till you get promoted to White, then once you feel you have maximized the potential
of the streets, move to R-compound. You will be quicker on them then those who were on R-compound all along.....

ask me how I know.......
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK the votes are in. I will stay on the Dunlop 8000s for the next two or more events.

I had a lifetime membership in green with metrony, thats why i am starting in green out here. which i dont have a problem with.

the Rs will go in the basement for a month or so where they will stay nice and dry and warm.
Originally Posted by mhm993
Are you doing the event with the neighbor in the new lawnmower?

MHM
Nah, my neighbor has about a dozen vespas or vespa like scooters. if it is under 50cc you dont need a motorcycle license, so i get the souped up 49cc that he says is as peppy as his 150.

the route is up the side of lookout mountain which is a real twisty ***** that gave jill the ******* in the mercury milan rental in august. then down the other side to red rocks and back home. all totaled i would say close to 100 miles. there is no helmet law in colorado. needless to say i will be wearing my helmet, law or no law.

i heard dave is working a rangers game.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Your instructor in the green group suggested that you move to R compounds but didn't promote you? Lets hope they have better instructors in CO. I don't think ANY green students should be on Rs. A good percentage of the Solo drivers in PCA shouldn't be either.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, now things make more sense. If you are on Dunlops I could see why your instructor suggested you could use more grip. For you to go to a PS2, Yoko Neova, or even an inexpensive Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position is going to be like going from a fast street tire to an R-compound.

Honestly, I'd leave the R-comps alone for a long time - until you are in White and signed-off for solo. But I would get rid of the Dunlops and put a set of PS2s on, which are going to give you all of the benefits of a summer street tire (great in the wet and cold, progressive, lots of feedback, great wear, etc.).
Old 05-02-2008, 03:02 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

What tires are they? I would definitely not start out adjusting to R compounds with a used set, unless you know exactly how many heat cycles they have on them (sessions, not days) and you're sure they're all equally worn (and worn in a way that will match what your car is going to do to them) and are going to have some life left in them that's also going to be predictable and consistent.

In my opinion, used R compounds are almost never worth buying (the one exception being pro series where tires are scrubbed and discarded in a regular and predictable way).
Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My instructors and myself kept me pretty well reigned in while I was in green on R compounds.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sbelles
Your instructor in the green group suggested that you move to R compounds but didn't promote you? Lets hope they have better instructors in CO. I don't think ANY green students should be on Rs. A good percentage of the Solo drivers in PCA shouldn't be either.
I lapped a GT3 that day. He knew i was moving a few days after the DE and that is all I will say. I could say more, but what is the saying - "never take the audience backstage" "choose your battles".

Mark knows what I am thinking.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

At my first DE, I was the fastest car in the novice group, and also the lowest-horsepower car in that group. That didn't mean I was ready to move to the intermediate group and it didn't mean it was the time for me to change out my street tires.

I don't know any of the specifics of your particular situation. But as a longtime instructor, I can tell you that laptimes don't have anything at all to do with promoting students to the next group.

For what it's worth, you'll develop better car-control skills and become a faster track driver in a shorter amount of time if you stay on street tires.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I lapped a GT3 that day.
Lapped or passed? And, besides, if you are passing GT3's on street tires, why even move to R's?

IMO, and not meant in a negative way, but passing (or even lapping) a GT3 in the green group is a reflection of the other driver's inability, and not necessarily the passing driver's ability.

-td

Quick Reply: Another Street V. R Compound question