SCCA ITB 924 weight reduced - 2495#

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts
Exclamation SCCA ITB 924 weight reduced - 2495#

Been working on this one a while, it's finally out - page 11, effective 5/1/08!!
http://www.scca.org/documents/Fastra...k-may-club.pdf

For those who've been wondering - that should put the '24 on even footing with the MK3 Golfs, the current top car to have in ITB.

That also makes our very affordable racing now very competitive - not that we weren't already!

And for those who say the SCCA doesn't want Porsches to have a fair chance... well, nuts to you!

Me, I'm off to get jiggy with the sawzall...
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What weight did you have to have before out of curiousity?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I would have guessed that you were already below that weight My franky comes in at 2500 with me and a bit of gas.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:50 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

The old weight was 2600#, and I'd usually set up to run at 2620# with me (~160lbs), 1/4 tank gas, 11lb fire system, large (3qt?) Accusump, fairly stout OG Racing cage, 40# of lead ballast, stock door mirrors, etc.

Also note that it's prepped to IT rules - still have functional headlights including motor, wipers, heater core, even my windshield washer bottle!

So this is a weight reduction of 105#.

I still have door windows to cut out (legal if I install NASCAR bars, which I need to do anyway), more sound deadening to grind off, and some more trimming on the cage, etc. But I'm already within 40# or so of target - ballast is gone, side mirrors are gone (aero AND weight improvement!), bumper pads are gone, etc.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

vaughan, how big are ITB fields in your part of the world?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck Vaughn!

Go 924 Racer's Go!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like the 924 is the Porsche to have now in IT. Unless I'm missing something, there really isn't another Porsche model that can be competitive (in IT).
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

You got it!

ITB is quite popular here; we're home of some of the old Volvos from Hell (no longer seem to be active, but they were killer in their day, gave ITS cars fits!)... have a very regular turnout of 6-8-10 ITB cars every weekend at Waterford Hills, my home track (sounds like another 3-4 ITB guys getting started this year)... most of the Waterford ITB cars are pretty slow Rustangs, but we have another ITB 924, my teammate, and a very fast 320i that I'm always fighting with.

Plus, we are local to the IT-Spectacular, which gets a big ITB turnout as well... I want to say we had something like 15 or so ITB cars last year, the first year of the race, and sure to be even more this year.

Currently the fastest ITB cars in the nation are in the NE region, those are the guys we're trying to chase; we hope to see them again at Mid-O for the IT-Spectacular this summer and end up a lot closer than we were last fall at the ARRC.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Beware of Suzuki Swifts. Only a few guys have built them for ITB, but they were fast-fast-fast ('cuz they were so damn light). I think the need to do all your own parts development discouraged them, but somebody with technical cayoons could probably build a killer car.

Volvos are still strong in ITB in the east, along with the 3rd gen. Golfs. Dave Zaslow and Joel High have figured out how to make Mk 3 Golfs FLY. I know of two more under construction, too. Lots of "Volvo from Hell" guys still getting tweaks from crazy-man Griffith.

Der Professor's string of ITB cars here in the northeast: Rabbit, Golf GTI, Scirocco, Volvo, yet another Golf. Learned a lot about racing in ITB (and went thru a lot of cars !).
Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

No real fear of those around here - everyone puts their efforts into VW's and Honduhs. Top guns these days are MK3 (and possibly now Mk4) Goofs, seems like Wabbits are a little old and faded by comparo. I got to hang with the Conover Goofs Nov at the ARRC, and they didn't have much on me on the straights, even at my excessive weight! Main diff in lap times was due to 1st time at the track, poor suspension setup (needed revalving of the front struts, car was pushing a bit) and getting stuck with an A6 on the LF for the 20-lap race!

Those Volvos are hell with their cheater cams, though.

There's a few guys with fast Hondus (a Prelude and the '06 ARRC winner in an Accord), but they're still wrong-wheel drive. Besides, nothing seems to really have the top-speed potential of a '24 - they're so slick in the aero dept, all those boxes and sedans just run out of steam! I'd love to try a race at Road America, got to do that one of these days, get more time up at the higher end of the spectrum.

This August at Mid-O is gonna be real interesting; fixed all of the above problems, improved the aero even more, and I actually know that track a little bit!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
improved the aero even more
Get rid of those billboards you call wing mirrors

Spill, I need all the aero you will tell me. I finally purchased material to add on to my front spoiler.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that was the first thing to go!!

Quick Reply: SCCA ITB 924 weight reduced - 2495#