Forced Air for Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forced Air for Helmets

I searched and found some older posts...wondering if there is any new developments or more current wisdom on this.

I just bought a new helmet that I found through a clearance for less than 1/2 of the original price - it's a Bell Infusion and has both side & top air inlets. I'd like to find a way to cool my head a bit.

I already have a Cool Shirt system (love it) so hesitate with the idea of buying an entire helmet/driver cooling system because I'd basically be throwing out my investment. Plus, several posts I read indicated that the cooled air will often warm up between the cooler & the helmet making the cooling step not that effective.

Option #2 would be an air blower such as the Cool Shirt Air Blower System (http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-fresh-air-system.html) or one of the air blower systems from FAST.

Option #3 would be the 'ghetto' approach...a simple NACA duct...run through a filter...straight to the helmet.

Opinions? As many have said, I need a cooler head while racing but to be honest...I'm not certain it's something I want to spend a great deal of money on. I'd love to see what's working for other people & what you've learned.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I connect my helmet's air-port to a hose running through my FAST cool box and driven by the car's internal HVAC fan. I see no reason you couldn't connect the hose directly to your car's blower even if you don't want/can't run through a cool box first.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick I have the FAST blower system that came with my car 3 years ago. I removed the blower motor and have never used it. I would be happy to trade the cooler and blower for a traditional cooler. PM me if you're interested and I'll take some pics....
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I use the FAST blower in my race car. I have never had a problem just using the blower but I have experienced one that blew through the cooler. It was very nice as the air was a lot cooler than ambient temperature. You don't want to just use the NACA duct to feed the helmet. You will get some air in the system but it isn't enough for you to really feel. The blower is a must and the FAST is the best one on the market.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The through cooler blower systems are ok but the latest technology are the electric helmet air conditioners. They are still a little expensive but they're a huge improvement over the FAST system we used last year. Pretty cool (pun intended) stuff.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a helmet blower system. I tried the top air and there wasn't enough clearance in my car, so I went back to the side air. I also have the fast blower running through the cooler. I love it! I found getting cool air blowing on my fast is enough to keep me cool during the race, up to 1.5 hours, as that's as long as I've raced. I haven't found the need for the cool shirt yet.
I agree the air heats up between the cooler and the helmet, but it's still 10-20 degrees cooler.
I'd be be interested to hear how people reduce that heating of the air.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Rick I have the FAST blower system that came with my car 3 years ago. I removed the blower motor and have never used it. I would be happy to trade the cooler and blower for a traditional cooler. PM me if you're interested and I'll take some pics....
Yes...definitely interested. Mine is a 12 quart system...perfect because it fits in the spare tire well of my 951. Are the hose connectors for our 2 systems the same?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JimB
The through cooler blower systems are ok but the latest technology are the electric helmet air conditioners. They are still a little expensive but they're a huge improvement over the FAST system we used last year. Pretty cool (pun intended) stuff.
Who makes them? I have seen these yet...
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting comments about the air heating up between the cooler and the helmet. Maybe insulating the hose would be a good idea.

I just got a Cool Shirt system w/blower. Ready for install.
If I find this to be a issue I will try some Styrofoam pipe insulation and see how it works.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I use the FAST blower in my race car. I have never had a problem just using the blower but I have experienced one that blew through the cooler. It was very nice as the air was a lot cooler than ambient temperature. You don't want to just use the NACA duct to feed the helmet. You will get some air in the system but it isn't enough for you to really feel. The blower is a must and the FAST is the best one on the market.
Yup, this has been my experienc,e too. And I love my FAST carbon-X cool shirt!!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Who makes them? I have seen these yet...
Koolbox. As I said, they are not cheap but I'm guessing the price will come down in price over time.

http://koolboxproducts.com/

The cool side air hoses on both the FAST system and the Koolbox are insulated. At least mine were.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Yes...definitely interested. Mine is a 12 quart system...perfect because it fits in the spare tire well of my 951. Are the hose connectors for our 2 systems the same?
Rick mine is the 16 qt. system as shown here: http://www.fastraceproducts.com/page...tcoolers/fa152

Yes I believe all the hoses are interchangable. I have the FAST system in my cup, and the Cool Shirt system in my Boxster and the connectors are the same. What system do you have for your cooler?

jrgordonsenior@msn.com
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 831 Posts

Hoses are no longer interchangeable, IIRC, thanks to a marketing decision made by CoolShirt in 2006. You can, however, buy connector adapters (FAST sells them, IIRC) in order to drive using both systems.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Rick mine is the 16 qt. system as shown here: http://www.fastraceproducts.com/page...tcoolers/fa152

Yes I believe all the hoses are interchangable. I have the FAST system in my cup, and the Cool Shirt system in my Boxster and the connectors are the same. What system do you have for your cooler?

jrgordonsenior@msn.com
Mine is the Cool Shirt 12 Quart Club System (http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-club-system12.html). Based on what I've read, the connectors should be interchangeable since we both have the older systems.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those wanting to retrofit check this out. If this link is not OK then please delete.

I am not connected with this company but have used them for plastic products for my Aquarium.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...me=6917&Page=1

Quick Reply: Forced Air for Helmets