Sponsored by:

Question on helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Azikara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on helmets

Replacing my current Bell M2 and really want a lighter helment. Looking at the Bell M3 and M4 but cannot seem to get any specs on them except they say they are lighter weight. Which one is lighter? They are both the same price so I cannot differentiate between the two.

Also, it's been suggested to me to look into a Arai GP5/W or GP5/K ... any idea on weight vs. the Bell?

Thanks
Azzy
Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Azzy,

I have both an M2 and an M3 Pro...honestly, they're both heavy and not much of a difference between the two. I just bought a Bell Infusion and it's dramatically lighter. I bought it from: http://www.bellhelmetstore.com/index.html. I ended up buying a black helmet because of the great closeout pricing. It appears as though black isn't "in" so they're blowing them out.

BTW...it's all about fit & comfort. I tried the Arai but id didn't fit me well. It's very light but I found it to be less comfortable than the Bell. I'd try them all before you decide.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an older M3 and a new M4. The M3 is XL in size and the M4 is L, but both fit the same. As for weight - I don't know if there's any difference...
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me run down to the shop and weigh them for you. I think I have one of each in stock.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Well my small scale decided to die but the difference in the highly suspect alternating which helmet I'm holding there isn't a largely noticeable difference. I even pulled out a T-6, Bell's whizziest helmet and it also wasn't too different although it was lighter. I think we are looking at difference of a few ounces. Compared to a SA00 M2 Pro they feel just a bit lighter.

If I can figure out what is wrong with the scale I'll get real numbers, if not give me a day or two to buy a new one.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Though weight is important, fit is the most important factor in choosing a helmet IMO.
Go try on several models from different manufacturers before you buy. Pro races and DE have track support vendors who will have these available.

Helmets are not all the same size, L or W. I have a Bell and always felt it was long in the back. When I bought a HANS that came into play. I have to remove the pads for it to fit w/my helmet. An Arai on the other hand fits w/o issues. That will be my next helmet.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightweight helmets are not unsprung weight, Therefore they cannot be used in the summer or fall.
Enjoy them only in March April or May.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I forgot my usual fit rant. Oops.

As for Bell vs. Arai. Bell fits me perfect right now and Arai just doesn't. I have both on the shelf and even though I really like the Arai helmet it just doesn't fit. Older Simpson use to fit me but now they've moved to a different shape or my head has changed in shape from the repeated banging it against the wall while working on the car.

Where are you located?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Though weight is important, fit is the most important factor in choosing a helmet IMO.
Go try on several models from different manufacturers before you buy. Pro races and DE have track support vendors who will have these available.

Helmets are not all the same size, L or W. I have a Bell and always felt it was long in the back. When I bought a HANS that came into play. I have to remove the pads for it to fit w/my helmet. An Arai on the other hand fits w/o issues. That will be my next helmet.
+1

Stand21 seem to be the most comfortable from the ones I've worn. We all have different noggins.

If weight is a concern for safety, get a Hutchins or HANS to control the helmet during incidents. Or if for performance only, use diet and exercise to get where you want to be.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And I'm the opposite, my GP5W is the absolute BEST fitting of maybe 8-9 helmets I've had over the years. Never have had a Bell. Simpson (waaaaaaay back, old school ones) and then a couple of Bieffes 'til I did the Arai last year.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
davidf1
Intermediate

You have to try them on. I worked with Northstar Motorsports and they sent me the Arai GP5W ( I wear glasses) in both L and XL sizes and a Bell M4 Pro in 7 5/8's. As much as I wanted to buy the Arai my head is sized between the Arai sizes and the Bell just fit. I didn't have a small enough scale to measure weight difference but I couldn't tell a big difference just holding them side by side. I'm glad I tried both and I strongly suggest the same. As said earlier we are all built a bit differently.

david
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I've got the arai gp5W and it fits me well- the cheek pads are interchangeable on them but if you've got a round, large head or a skinny face they all fit differently- without wearing one for a few mins i'd have no chance at knowing what's what.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 AM
rickdm
Racer

I have a G-Force Pro and need to buy another helmet, tried the Arai, but I was right between sizes. Any other brands that fit in a similar way to the G-Force? Perhaps Bell, or HJC?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I spoke with the BELL folks in the past and asked why they don't publish helmet weights. They hand-laminate their helmets so the weights can vary slightly; however, the weight difference on average is usually about 6-8 ounces depending on the size helmets being compared.

Best thing to do is try them on if you have the opportunity.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check out your height requirement. To miss hitting my cage, I needed the shorter Arai. I was lucky that it fit me well. (I also put in lower seats, and lowered the mounts, and took out the seat padding).

Quick Reply: Question on helmets