Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the money in the motorsports industry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess to refine the point, you need to look on the return on investment. To just "make money" means a dollar more than you put into it. But when a team puts millions into a program, making a dollar is not a good business. I suspect that the love of the sport and the thrill of victory has a lot to do with it. I work as an adviser to the airline industry, and the people IN the industry love the industry by always suffer financially. The service providers are the ones who make money.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This is exactly NOT how I was told it works by the VP of Marketing for CBS (recall ALMS was on CBS last year). ALMS paid the network for the air time. ALMS then needs to find advertising on their own to help pay for being on TV. Obviously they hope to get more advertising revenue than it costs to pay CBS for the time.

According to CBS, only truly major sporting events are paid-for by the network: think NCAA Finals, Super Bowl, World Series, maybe one or two tennis tournaments (US Open), etc...
think about it...it's just like the drivers. If you're REALLY good, and you have a draw, you get PAID by a team to race. If you're not, you PAY for a ride.

It's all about where the money is....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC, one of the final steps in CART's long spiral was 4 or 5 years ago when the then CEO turned down a paying deal from CBS in favor of a time buy on ABC/ESPN. They would buy a two hour window on ABC, and in addition to not being able to sell the ads, the end to a number of races as pre-empted as ABC switched to other programming at the end of the two-hour slot.

The CEO was fired soon after and replaced for a short time by the guy who ran the Long Beach race (Chris Pook?), who was then dumped as part of the buy out by Kalkoven et al...

Quick Reply: Where is the money in the motorsports industry?