Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the money in the motorsports industry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

interesting info from everyone. we union workers really do have it the best I guess.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

ESPECIALLY your union!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
really well charlie that sounds weird...every other major sports series is paid by the channels/networks.

monday night football is on espn because they paid more than fox, cbs or nbc would. baseball gets paid roughly a billion or so from the networks- but at least that much.
Yeah, I didn't believe it at first, but hey t-ball games are long and boring so I had a lot of time to pick this woman's ear last year. By the end of the conversation it was pretty clear to me how it worked. I also got a good sense of the attitude of these network execs and let me tell you, she made it clear to me that I should be impressed that she even knew what ALMS is. It simply doesn't register on their scale to be of interest. If someone out bid ALMS to air Heidi re-runs, they'd show Heidi.

She also talked about the on-air personalities. CBS, at least last year, now I guess it is ABC/ESPN, will hire who ALMS wants for the most part to "announce". These guys are paid a pittance, like $1000 for the weekend.

NFL, MLB, those are special. ALMS is not.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

That "buy airtime scenario" is pretty common. In a previous life I was involved in a couple things like that.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
That "buy airtime scenario" is pretty common. In a previous life I was involved in a couple things like that.
Yep, me too. The whole media buying area can be fairly interesting to dig into.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I understand it from speaking with producers a show can make it to the air in one of three ways:

- the network wants it to happen and funds the whole thing. They own the rights and sell the ad space and have all of the risk. it needs to be a home run. This is NASCAR.

- the network likes it but the network and production company co-op on the investment and share the rights and ad sales. They each get a block to sell and go sell it. This is how many of the emerging hits make it to the air. Both parties share the risk. My guess is this is how the IRL deal works.

- the network sells the time to a producer. the production company owns the rights and sells all of the ad space. this is how most start up ideas get on the air. This is ALMS, former Champ Car, Star Mazda, SCCA runoffs, Pinks, Set-Up, etc
Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm ALMS/IMSA have in the past paid for their TV coverage, otherwise there wouldn't have been any. They do indeed then sell the advertising slots, the in-car cameras, the track map/facts segments to various sponsors and hopefully, the revenue is greater than the costs. This helps the series attract the top teams and drivers to its events as they can brag about their network TV coverage. In addition, it allows the series to get additional exposure as someone who's just channel surfing might stop and watch the broadcast and become a fan. Unfortunately, sportscar racing in the US doesn't obviously have the universal appeal of our major sports like MLB, the NFL, the PGA, the WTA, and NASCAR.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Sportscar racing is poorly promoted , roundy racing is , even from the grassroots level.
Now this buy air time is interesting , what about a group buy on airtime to get rid of pinks , Anyone ? PLeaseeeeee......
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Sportscar racing is poorly promoted , roundy racing is , even from the grassroots level.
Now this buy air time is interesting , what about a group buy on airtime to get rid of pinks , Anyone ? PLeaseeeeee......
I'd save Pinks over that garbage Unique Whips. Gawd that show is the worst. At least Pinks has racing involed in some way.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Anyone named France , George or Smith.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Blackness
Pro

I wonder who pays more, ALMS for airtime or Porsche for the Cayenne GTS commercials during the race?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness
I wonder who pays more, ALMS for airtime or Porsche for the Cayenne GTS commercials during the race?

Probably ALMS because Porsche does not pay retail, unless they are buying VW stock.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeaCay
I'd save Pinks over that garbage Unique Whips. Gawd that show is the worst. At least Pinks has racing involed in some way.
True , ok what about getting rid of both , we can buy the air time and show PCA, ALMS and DTM clips .
Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

yes pete, I agree my union does in fact rock.

unique whips is awful programming...but so is most of everything on TV. Semi-OT but In my previous life as a student, I was a screenwriting/film major and am appalled at what network execs green light on tv and in theaters.

so the real question is- how much does it cost for a 30 minute or one hour block of airtime?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
yes pete, I agree my union does in fact rock.

unique whips is awful programming...but so is most of everything on TV. Semi-OT but In my previous life as a student, I was a screenwriting/film major and am appalled at what network execs green light on tv and in theaters.

so the real question is- how much does it cost for a 30 minute or one hour block of airtime?
C.J. I imagine this is highly variable, which you already know. Network, time slot, etc... I would say expensive as <expletive> though.

Quick Reply: Where is the money in the motorsports industry?