Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta awards - were there any?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
I race to keep my wife happy...............
Then stop making your wifey happy.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Seems like we have discussed this before in general terms on Rennlist.

A trophy is a public and lasting "pat on the back" for a job well done. Some people have a desire for this type of recognition and support and others do not. My closet (well only one shelf in my closet) is full of $100K worth of glass peaches, glass tumblers, and plaques from Taiwan.

The real "prizes" are the friendships that start at the track and continue to develop on and off the track. That, and beating most of the GTC4 field.

One vote for "Couldn't care less about trophies"
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
If someone is really only PCA club racing for a trophy, I personally think they need to reconsider their motivation for racing. Please think about that Larry and Charlie.
Bruce, I agree with your statement and will say flatly that I am certainly not racing for a trophy. I feel that most club racers fall into the same category. The last thing that I want is some gaudy, multi-level POS taking up space.

However, a personal momento of an accomplishment is a nice thing. I have a simple checkered flag set in a small base on my desk at work. It was for winning the Club Race at Mid-Ohio in 1996. There is a great story that goes with that. Everytime I look at it I smile and drift into thought about racing. I have a Mug that reminds me of my first win at the Glen. I had dreams of racing there ever since I was a little boy.

That is what I am talking about; those little things that cause you to reflect back on an event and good times that might drift away forever in your memory. Maybe it is just me who feels that way.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I am not as old and nostalgic as Larry, I vote to have trophy money spent on 'trophy girls.' So I can find a proper wife, like Ronnie.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
84-944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Bruce, I agree with your statement and will say flatly that I am certainly not racing for a trophy. I feel that most club racers fall into the same category. The last thing that I want is some gaudy, multi-level POS taking up space.

However, a personal momento of an accomplishment is a nice thing. I have a simple checkered flag set in a small base on my desk at work. It was for winning the Club Race at Mid-Ohio in 1996. There is a great story that goes with that. Everytime I look at it I smile and drift into thought about racing. I have a Mug that reminds me of my first win at the Glen. I had dreams of racing there ever since I was a little boy.

That is what I am talking about; those little things that cause you to reflect back on an event and good times that might drift away forever in your memory. Maybe it is just me who feels that way.
Larry, great to meet you with Mike on Friday evening! Go Steelers.
Very well said, my sentiments exactly.

Brian.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Larry, you are spot on, but at least you will have 6 empty beer bottles to remember last weekend.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

For those afflicted with long-term memory loss: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/385631-where-have-all-the-trophies-gone.html

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-02-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1!!! Would be nice to get a momento of some sort...doesn't have to be expensive.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I liked the loot we got at Sebring.

Last edited by flatsics; 12-17-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

see, thats AWESOME...and Larry is spot on...just a memento of the event...plus, SOME of us dont have cases full of stuff yet...haha
Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't race because there is no trophys or big jug of milk handed to me by a hot 20 year old babe or a victoy lap and then donuts at the start finish line!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a Mug that reminds me of my first win at the Glen. I had dreams of racing there ever since I was a little boy.

Jeeeez Larry, I didn't know you had it in you.... nicely put.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:25 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Just FYI, and not trying to start something here but....
We in Carolinas Region give small trophy plaques for class wins, sometimes even to second and third depending on class size....sometimes I think we actually give TOO many away, but that's another story...

So...come on down to CMP in November to win and get a trophy !!! (sorry Bruce)

I agree, a small momento for some of us that don't have closets full of stuff, just to commemorate a good time and "job well done" by the team.

Now, to Bruce's point, Peachstate got screwed from Road Atlanta this year. And as someone that is personally involved with the budgets and logistics of races and PCA regions, I think they did an awesome job "covering it up" so that we, the racers, still had fun. Many regions lose lots of money on these races, but they continue to hold them for the fun of us racers. It takes a lot of volunteers and resources to pull this off, and boy am I glad we in Carolinas Region don't have to deal with an event like Road Atlanta.

Kudo's to Peachstate and the National Staff (I'm married to one, so I had to put that in there) for putting on a fun weekend.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

At my very first PCA club race at Mosport in 1998 I recieved a maple leave 1/2 american star trophy for my finish at that PCA race. That trophy is on the shelf along with a few others that remind me of great times in my past on various race tracks. The individual trophies on the shelf bring me back to that particular weekend. I understand the "no trophy" thing but, I have to say, a trophy is nice. I race when I can to keep me happy. My lady doesn't come along much anymore but, I still race whenever and where ever I can.
See you at Limerock, WGI, Mosport, Summit, CMP and Roebling this year.

Bill

www.rudtnersracing.com
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Lane
Intermediate

Do you think that they will post results on Mylaps.com anytime soon? We ran in the group 4 sprint race and I'm not really sure where I finished in the rain.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta awards - were there any?