Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience using an Accusump on a 996/997 or boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Texas a very large percentage of people run Accusumps in their SpecBoxster. I have not been tracking statistics but it seems the number of engine issues has dropped considerably over the last year as most people have installed them even as the number of cars keeps increasing.

As I mentioned, I do not have the statistics but the vast majority of us have been convinced enough to invest over $1k in Accusumps and now I would suggest it may be hard to sell a SpecBoxster without one.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a '02 996 with an accusump installed. Check with AmondC, he posts to RL, he has or has access to a fitting to the oil filter orifice.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
(on the track) I am noticing an oil pressure drop during sustained hard left handers . From 5bar down to 2-3bar (really hard to keep your eyes on that gauge! )

Looking for any advise from anyone that has fitted their wet sump 911/boxster with an accusump type of device. Or any other suggestions for that matter.

Already have the PMNA baffled x51 oil pan in place.

Thanks!

-Paul
i had issues with my m96 at auto-x when it started ringing with hydraulic valve lifters after hard runs but so far I saw no issues at all after x51 oil pan install.

did you also put oil pan spacers kit? my mechanic says it works like a charm usually, better than accusump.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//cd2510r9095.html

for accusump integration look at ln engineering stuff - their web site is kinda ugly but if you search a bit you will find all adapters and complete systems.

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...ter-p-115.html
http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...man-p-136.html

i use their spin-on filter adapter, great stuff.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts

We used the LN sandwich plate and spin-on adapter on our Spec Boxster. It works well, but the oil filter is lower than we'd like. Definitely use the shortest filter you can find.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
We used the LN sandwich plate and spin-on adapter on our Spec Boxster. It works well, but the oil filter is lower than we'd like. Definitely use the shortest filter you can find.
charles recommends short version of napa gold filters - 1081 - as he says they do not protrude with accusump sandwich plate. do you mean that one was sticking out?
actually, it is even on his website, just a pain to find:

http://www.lnengineering.com/spinonfilteradapter.html
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Just FYI- using the fitting (screws in to the stock filter housing) that the Amond's make (AmondC on RL) my oil filter has been re-routed and mounted where the muffler used to be (passenger side). No need to worry about clearence, and easy to change.
You can do a search him on RL if you need to contact him.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Thanks for the all the input... The achilles heel in the M96 motors in the 996/boxster and I suspect the 997s is oil pressure drop during heavy braking followed by a sustained high g left hander. The issue is that the 2 oil scavenge pumps in the cylinder heads are located in the Left front cylinder head and the Right rear cylinder head (relation to the car) as follows. Scavenge oil pumps are the 2 Xs.... oil pools in the right front cylnder head and the sump return sucks up air.

Front of car
l_________x

Back of car

Of course one way to solve this is to just avoid the specific track in question or for about $1600 I just learned that I can perform the oiling update which adds a "dual chamber oil scavenge pump" in the right rear with a new oil return line to the front right side.
I passed this on to the owner of a team who ran a 996 in the VLN last year (Nordschleife and Nürburgring short grand prix circuit combined). He had major lubrication issues. Here is what he replied:

hi chris,
counteract this is one thing the man with the can, ultimately, that
helps but not all. We have had the pump in the vehicle. the whole system
of oelführung the channels, etc are involved with on the problem.
I want to finish the project does not but there are better vehicles of
the porsche and hold.
we had 4 engine failures cost about € 17,300 per engine.
the worth and not enough fire has not.
Greetings
horst

As you can see, he's given up on the 996s and will run BMWs next year.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill post some pictures of my adapter this weekend. I have sold/installed them on many spec boxsters with no problems and have not heard of any engine failures after the accusump system was installed. My adapter screws in where the stock filter goes and then you mount a remote filter where ever you would like.

Like others have said, $1k is a small price compared to a motor which new is over 12k.

email me if you have any questions.

Chris
chris@texasspec dot com
Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
V225
Racer

Is there a feasible way to make the M96 engines dry sump? I feel like all of these solutions are going to fall short of going the dry sump route.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. However, my last post on this topic was in 2008 when a lot of the current solutions were not readily available. Hopefully others can find this thread and identify the info that they need.

Best,
-Paul
Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Chris was a big help through hims PMs! Hat's off.

I was going to use his interposer, when I happened to be ordering
some parts from Charles at LN and he had a very gently used system
for a price I couldn't turn down.

So my plan at the moment is to run a full accusump system, X51 and a deep sump kit.

The car will probably implode for some other reason -- but oil shouldn't be one of them.

thanks folks,

Mike
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Here is a data print from Motec showing a 996 3.6L in the Boxster. The center line is the center line of the car and to the left and right is G load. The dots are plotted on the vertical which is oil psi. The low point is 20psi I believe while the high is 75ish psi. Under hard braking and turning the dots move out from center line and down in psi. Doesn't look pretty but I've been racing this 996 motor since '08...knock on wood.

Last edited by Brinkley; 01-26-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 132 Posts

Im trying to decide what route to take with fixing oiling issues. I don't want to rebuild the engine again anytime soon. I've considered selling my 996 carrera and getting a 996 turbo but If I can solve the oiling Issue I would be happier spending less money and keeping my current 996 C2.

So, these are my options. consider I would use Motul 300v or JG xp9 for track days like Jake recommended.

Option 1. Accusump system.

Option 2. Deeper oil sump and x51 baffle.

All in all prices for both are about the same. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 11:15 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with Option 2 then add option 1 when budget allows. The sump and baffle will help for less extreme situations where light oil starvation wouldn't activate the accusump.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

x51 or similar baffle and the accusump. I have used this for +10yrs of track use on my 02 996

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience using an Accusump on a 996/997 or boxster?