Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience using an Accusump on a 996/997 or boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone have experience using an Accusump on a 996/997 or boxster?

(on the track) I am noticing an oil pressure drop during sustained hard left handers . From 5bar down to 2-3bar (really hard to keep your eyes on that gauge! )

Looking for any advise from anyone that has fitted their wet sump 911/boxster with an accusump type of device. Or any other suggestions for that matter.

Already have the PMNA baffled x51 oil pan in place.

Thanks!

-Paul

Last edited by Paul 996; 03-25-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:59 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Friend of mine attached an accusump to his Boxster S using an oil filter sandwich plate. The accusump is in the rear trunk.

EDIT - sorry, I received an e-mail that I am 100% incorrect on this one, he is not using a filter plate. So now I have no idea how he had it hooked up.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 03-26-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone i know who has used them, hasnt had anything good to say about them. myself included. they do work well at prelubing the motor before start up, as for saving the motor on track, doubt it..

good luck
Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Rich are you saying they don't fire and sustain oil pressure when needed?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Hacker,

Thanks I wasn't sure if the sandwich plate would work the last time I changed the oil. Good to hear. Do you think you could put me in touch with your Boxster buddy, I'de like the same sandwich plate and any tips on exactly where to plumb the high pressure side.

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Friend of mine attached an accusump to his Boxster S using an oil filter sandwich plate. The accusump is in the rear trunk.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to know which sandwich plate the Boxster person used also. The search function on Rennlist yielded no data.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Orrin
AutoX

I have or helped install several on 996's. No need to install sandwich plates. Porsche gives you a free port to use. Functionality requires the correct valve...follow Canton's website/tech help recommendations. Quite worth the money. I think it a must if you run R compounds/upgraded suspension unless you need a fresh engine.
I would guess most competent race shops would be all-in for about $1000-$1300+ installed depending on tank location/custom heat shielding etc. etc.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Orrin,

Can you point me in the right direction on which port to use? Also what pressure have you set this at to fire on the M96 engines? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ951
anyone i know who has used them, hasnt had anything good to say about them. myself included. they do work well at prelubing the motor before start up, as for saving the motor on track, doubt it..
Rather vague that one.

My experience is wth a 3 qt Accusump with manual valve installed on my Cobra. Under braking and right-handers, the 15psi oil warning light would come on (and this is with an 8qt road race oil pan with all the baffles and trapdoors). The Accusump holds the minimum pressure at 30 psi. Plus as mentioned above, you can prelube the bearings at startup. It won't increase your oil pressure and isn't intended as a band aid for bad bearings.
Good explanation of the theory of operation at Accusump site.
http://www.accusump.com/
_____
bs
Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Paul

To clarify. On a 944turbo platform. Yes the accusump will fire when called upon, problem is the system isnt big enough to maintain pressure long enough. I have blown a motor with the accusump as well as 3 other racers (highly respected in the north east) in the same type of car, that I know personally. For our highly strung out 951's the only real solution is a dry sump$$$.

My friend is a pro drag racer. They use an accusump to prelube their motors prior to starting. I can see it would work well from that standpoint. Cant say i am super familiar with the 996 platform, but also cant say Ive heard many people with this issue in that car, or have even seen one in a 996. are you sure it isnt some other pressure issue??
Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul

To clarify. On a 944turbo platform. Yes the accusump will fire when called upon, problem is the system isnt big enough to maintain pressure long enough. I have blown a motor with the accusump as well as 3 other racers (highly respected in the north east) in the same type of car, that I know personally. For our highly strung out 951's the only real solution is a dry sump$$$.

My friend is a pro drag racer. They use an accusump to prelube their motors prior to starting. I can see it would work well from that standpoint. Cant say i am super familiar with the 996 platform, but also cant say Ive heard many people with this issue in that car, or have even seen one in a 996. are you sure it isnt some other pressure issue??
x2

Accusump did not prevent my motor from spinning #2. Now, to be fair, I cannot say that it would not have prevented failures caused by other factors, but you cannot assume that an accusump will prevent all spun rod bearings.

When I had my motor rebuilt, I did not reinstall the accusump, and I ran without one until I sold the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the all the input... The achilles heel in the M96 motors in the 996/boxster and I suspect the 997s is oil pressure drop during heavy braking followed by a sustained high g left hander. The issue is that the 2 oil scavenge pumps in the cylinder heads are located in the Left front cylinder head and the Right rear cylinder head (relation to the car) as follows. Scavenge oil pumps are the 2 Xs.... oil pools in the right front cylnder head and the sump return sucks up air.

Front of car
l_________x

Back of car

Of course one way to solve this is to just avoid the specific track in question or for about $1600 I just learned that I can perform the oiling update which adds a "dual chamber oil scavenge pump" in the right rear with a new oil return line to the front right side.

Last edited by Paul 996; 03-27-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Paul

I had a feeling there was a workaround for a platform as current as yours, especially since plenty of guys race them, and i cant ever recall seeing a accu-sump in one of those models.

Forget about avoiding tracks, do the $1600.00 upgrade and dont look back. It will be money well spent.

Based on the fact you have had pressure drop outs already, it would pay BigTime to take a look at those bearing. It frequently starts off as a small score due to lack of oiling and quickly turns into much worse. Ask me how I know.

Good luck to you...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Let's hope not! This is a fresh engine. Was taking it pretty easy as it was raining most of the day and only when it dryed up did I notice something was up right way so I didn't keep at it. At least I know how to fix the issue with hard breaking and left hander combo...

If I notice any pressure drops on right handers an accusump is going in asap. !

Paul

I had a feeling there was a workaround for a platform as current as yours, especially since plenty of guys race them, and i cant ever recall seeing a accu-sump in one of those models.

Forget about avoiding tracks, do the $1600.00 upgrade and dont look back. It will be money well spent.

Based on the fact you have had pressure drop outs already, it would pay BigTime to take a look at those bearing. It frequently starts off as a small score due to lack of oiling and quickly turns into much worse. Ask me how I know.

Good luck to you...
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default working on a Boxster S track and engine test car now

Thinking about the accusump setup.

I'd like to be able to use a sandwhich plate setup that I could
swap from engine to engine.

Any recommendations?

thanks,

Mike

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience using an Accusump on a 996/997 or boxster?