Speculation that Ferrari engine failures due to Mclaren ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speculation that Ferrari engine failures due to Mclaren ECU

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...19085743.shtml

Who knows could be true or could be ferrari looking for an excuse, either way the spec mclaren ecu needs to be changed to a company with out a vested interest in winning, for two reason, first it takes that excuse off the table, second it takes away the temptation for mclaren, since weve seen how well they can resist the urge to cheat

three days ago:
I hate to be conspiritorial (if thats a word, lol) well actually I won't be but It doesn't seem fair to me that a team competing in the championship is making the ECU's for all the cars, especially a team that showed the business ethics of mclaren last year. If it was ferrari manufacturing them for all the teams I can only imagine how up in arms everyone would be, I think they need an outside company without interests in the sport to build the standard ecu.
Well mabye I'm not to far off.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 854 Posts

I was ASTOUNDED to hear that the know-nothing Eurotrash asshats in the FIA allowed one of the F1 teams (especially the one caught in a MASSIVE cheating scandal that DQ'ed it from the 2007 championship) be a party to developing the 2008 spec ECU.

Par for the course for thinking in that part of the world, I guess, and for the general behavior of Bernie, Max, et al.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unbelievable....but very believable when one considers the people involved, as VR points out.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,061 Posts

If McLaren is going to make them, then I would have the ECUs all submitted to the FIA and tested, then distributed to the teams at random.

Even if McLaren didn't purposely try to cheat, it doesn't make sense that their ECU would work as well in a Ferrari(or any other make) as it does in a McLaren car that was developed along with the ECU.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

In never ceases to amaze me what goes on in F1...
Old 03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While I also am amazed McLaren was allowed to make ECU to all teams it wasn't problems with that that cause Ferrari engine failures. It was problems with valves in both engines. Kimi's fule problem seems to be cause by ECU problems though...

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...know-nothing Eurotrash...
WTF?!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I was ASTOUNDED to hear that the know-nothing Eurotrash asshats in the FIA .....
I think you meant to say 'French'
Old 03-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 854 Posts

Bernie is British, as is Max....
Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM
MTosi
User

While I also am amazed McLaren was allowed to make ECU to all teams it wasn't problems with that that cause Ferrari engine failures. It was problems with valves in both engines.
From the article (all speculation of course):
Following the investigation back at Maranello this week into Ferrari's two failed race engines in Australia, speculation suggests that the Italian team has found that the design of the team's V8 power plant itself was not responsible for the problems.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

ECU's should be able to cause valve problems but Ferarri should have had enough time to work out the ECU issues. The real problem I have with using a team to develop a technology that will be used for all teams are these:
1) The team gets to design their engine with the ECU before the other teams do.
2) The team gets a financial bonus by being a consultant for the FIA.

That being said, I doubt Ferarri's problems can be related to the MacECU. They should have had enough time to figure out the workings of the ECU. If you think about it, both Ferarris spun prior to failing. Maybe something happened while spinning that caused the failures.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
MTosi
User

Bourdais Ferrari motor also failed and I don't think he spun.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not defending McLaren but were there any other engine failures? If not, read on.

If it's an ECU problem (which implies that it's solely the ECU's fault) why are only Ferrari engines having the issue?

Does anyone know if these ECU's are randomly dispersed or if Mclaren could know in advance which ECU is going to Ferrari?

I think it's totally realistic that there's an incompatibility between the ECU and Ferrari's design but that's a Ferrari issue. The other teams seemed to have figured it out (again, assuming Ferrari was the only one impacted by this).
Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

If the ECU's were new just for the race weekend and they were not randomly distributed, then I might buy the conspiracy theory. However, if they were distrubted months ago and have been tested to the nth degree by Ferrari, I find it hard to believe it was a conspiracy.

If for the race weekend, wouldn't the FIA hand out the ECU's randomly? I can't imagine a FEDEX package from McClaren just shows up at Ferrari directly from them.

Furthermore, assuming random distribution, wouldn't McClaren need everyones' engine design, data etc to design an ECU that would effect Ferrari engines and not everyone else too.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Once the teams get the ECUs they keep them, so there shouldn't be any foul play with the ECU unless there was an issue from the start.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,033 Posts

This is shocking news to me. What has it been, a year now that Mac has had all the Ferrari engine plans? They should have been able to make a compatible ECU for their...er... everyones engine.

How is it that 27% of the engines on the grid are Ferrari powered and exactly 0% finished the race? This from incredible reliability last year and engine development frozen.

Only in the crazy *** world of F1 does a team that was caught cheating and given record fines and stripped of it's constructor points, get rewarded with a contract to provide everyone else's ECU the following year.

Quick Reply: Speculation that Ferrari engine failures due to Mclaren ECU