Sponsored by:

Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHinkle
Interesting post. Racing coverage is all about money and sponsors. I grew up within 10 miles of Bristol. I've never attended a Nascar race but enjoy certain races, Bristol being one of them. I have all my teeth, a college degree and race a Porsche. As much as I'd like to see more sports car coverage, the money is in Nascar.

Addressing the demographics of Nascar, the sport accelarated when they started reaching a better demographic. I know quite a few individuals that will be at the Bristol race, in private suites. Trust me, they all their teeth and a lot of cash!

BTW- we'll be watching Sebring, F1 & the Bristol race during the weekend.
I watch NASCAR races at times, too. I just find it amusing to make hillbilly jokes about it. If NASCAR lost its rural South angle it would lose most of it's attraction to me.

I have a lot of respect for the people involved in the racing activities of NASCAR. The level of professionalism is very high. It may not be as much of a "clean room" operation that F1 runs but it is still very impressive. And the drivers are good. Anyone who can take the checkered flag at Bristol is a damn good driver no matter how much ignorant people say that NASCAR is all about turning left.
I do wish they would run more road courses, though.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Well, FWIW -I've got all the Sebring and F1 coverage lined up on the TIVO - will be out of town all weekend, but it will be waiting for me when I get home.....
Old 03-14-2008, 11:14 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Well, FWIW -I've got all the Sebring and F1 coverage lined up on the TIVO - will be out of town all weekend, but it will be waiting for me when I get home.....

Let's do a screening night at your place. (I will bring the roadkill). That was a joke.

I'd race anything by the way.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Are you equating higher intelligence with autobahn hating?
No, just the self-proclaimed ultra-intellectuals who usually have the opinion that they are the only ones who know anything... and they know everything.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It gets old!

News flash Speed is 95% NASCAR! Owning a Porsche does not make you better than someone who is missing teeth, just richer. If you don't like NASCAR, fine don't watch it.

If bashing the NASCAR crowd makes you feel better about yourself, get really intelectual and figure out why! I have a Porsche, a college degree, and all my teeth. With the amount of money that I paid for some of them I can also understand why plenty of people don't have them all.

If you think a Prius can go faster around Bristol you are tripping. There is more real racing in a Bristol race than there is in a season of F1. By the way, What is the difference between a Porsche and a cactus?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:17 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
News flash Speed is 95% NASCAR! Owning a Porsche does not make you better than someone who is missing teeth, just richer. If you don't like NASCAR, fine don't watch it.

If bashing the NASCAR crowd makes you feel better about yourself, get really intelectual and figure out why! I have a Porsche, a college degree, and all my teeth. With the amount of money that I paid for some of them I can also understand why plenty of people don't have them all.

If you think a Prius can go faster around Bristol you are tripping. There is more real racing in a Bristol race than there is in a season of F1. By the way, What is the difference between a Porsche and a cactus?
As I clearly pointed out, I watch Nascar. But Bristol and these cars are hardly a match - come on! That is why I am wondering what justifies the enthusiasm around Bristol. I could understand Daytona 500 or Taladega or Lowes 600 taking a major precedent over ALMS coverage by the way (and I know Nascar is what people like to watch and what makes up 95% of Speed), and I have become really impressed by the flat-out racing / bump drafting that takes place on the big tracks. Furthermore, Montoya, Carpentier, Villeneuve, and Hornish get/have got their asses handed over to them, which tells me something about the caliber of drivers in Nascar. So no Nascar bashing here, apart from slight humor - too bad you can't take it.

I got all the ALMS coverage I need today Saturday

Last edited by FredC; 03-15-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
I'd say there should be some sort of aptitude test to be allowed to vote. But then you'd get a government voted in by arrogant ******** who think they have all the answers.
Isn't that what we have now?

Oh, my bad. It's government RUN by arrogant ******** who think they have all the answers.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

x2 well said.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yo Fred

Nothing personal against you. I know you, and have pointed you by on several ocassions the last couple of years. I have made some great friends in PCA, but sure have met alot of people with some serious attitude problems.

The bashing that came out in the Toyota wins in Cup got me started but I wasn't motivated enough to chime in then. I'm just grumpy today, spent all day yesterday pulling off exhaust manifolds on my tow truck to have the fun ofdrilling out broken studs.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
FredC
Drifting

Nothing personal against you. I know you, and have pointed you by on several ocassions the last couple of years. I have made some great friends in PCA, but sure have met alot of people with some serious attitude problems.

The bashing that came out in the Toyota wins in Cup got me started but I wasn't motivated enough to chime in then. I'm just grumpy today, spent all day yesterday pulling off exhaust manifolds on my tow truck to have the fun ofdrilling out broken studs.
we're cool. You must have pointed by the previous owner unless you raced at Raod America last Fall. Good luck with the studs. See you around.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by constaf
Don't read too much into all this. I am stuck at home, and just felt ****ty about the fact that my own personal preferred forms of racing were not getting coverage on speed this evening...despite the importance their respective season opening events. Please don't be offended by the title of the thread. It's meant for humor more than anything else.

And DHinkle: by the way, big time sponsors are big time sponsors and tend to enjoy private suites wherever they go, Bristol or Monaco.
First, "stuck at home implies some form of infirmity, so we hope you are well.
I love road racing of all sorts, but have to admit to also being interested in NASCAR.
First, I don't know if you have ever driven a short oval, but it is technically challenging to go fast, stay off the wall, and keep the car alive. Second, many of those drivers are really good. Note how much trouble our road racing stars have in adapting. Juan Pablo, Dario, AJ probably aren't thinking , "this is too easy".
The guys who fight to the top could drive almost anything- Jeff Gordon, Jimie Johnson, Edwards, etc. If you notice, the cars are drifting much of the time.

Finally, road racing is much more a driver sport than a spectator sport. The gaps get long, the passing is rare, and it is obviously boring to most non-participants. I think road racing would do better if there was much more focus on in-car video, and would benefit from camera technology that really reproduces the driver experience.

Lastly, NASCAR has tied the driver as a visual image to a sponsor, so there is much more money available for sponshorship. You can't see Tony Stewart without visualizing Home Depot.

Here is one more point. At Skip Barber (Road America), I was doing a brush up course long ago. I asked one of the most expereinced instructors who he thought was the best driver to go through. His reply was, Jeff Gordon.

Anyway, hope you are doing well, and let us know what you think of the race. AS
Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 PM
FredC
Drifting

Stuck at home could imply many more things than infirmity. Like caring for a sick child for instance. We agree on everything else as I my point is not that it is not challenging to race at Bristol (though i have no experience on a short oval), but instead that the match between short oval and COT is not there.

Enjoy the race too. It is promising so far.

Fred

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
First, "stuck at home implies some form of infirmity, so we hope you are well.
I love road racing of all sorts, but have to admit to also being interested in NASCAR.
First, I don't know if you have ever driven a short oval, but it is technically challenging to go fast, stay off the wall, and keep the car alive. Second, many of those drivers are really good. Note how much trouble our road racing stars have in adapting. Juan Pablo, Dario, AJ probably aren't thinking , "this is too easy".
The guys who fight to the top could drive almost anything- Jeff Gordon, Jimie Johnson, Edwards, etc. If you notice, the cars are drifting much of the time.

Finally, road racing is much more a driver sport than a spectator sport. The gaps get long, the passing is rare, and it is obviously boring to most non-participants. I think road racing would do better if there was much more focus on in-car video, and would benefit from camera technology that really reproduces the driver experience.

Lastly, NASCAR has tied the driver as a visual image to a sponsor, so there is much more money available for sponshorship. You can't see Tony Stewart without visualizing Home Depot.

Here is one more point. At Skip Barber (Road America), I was doing a brush up course long ago. I asked one of the most expereinced instructors who he thought was the best driver to go through. His reply was, Jeff Gordon.

Anyway, hope you are doing well, and let us know what you think of the race. AS
Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
As there must be so many people complaining about NASCAR coverage, why isn't there another station that shows all racing except NASCAR?...
The Racing Network is the channel that is supposed to do just that.

Greg A
Old 03-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
NASCAR has tied the driver as a visual image to a sponsor, so there is much more money available for sponshorship. You can't see Tony Stewart without visualizing Home Depot.
Were all 43 CoTs shown with sponsorship in last month's Daytona 500?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Congo
Were all 43 CoTs shown with sponsorship in last month's Daytona 500?

And the point is??
Most series have a tough time getting 20 top cars to a grid. (that is in one class) AS

Quick Reply: Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth