Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point March 21-22.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:35 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after picking up my car from Dan Jacobs at 10pm (what a star - he worked late to get it done for me..............All I can say is that Hairy Dog grrrrage really go out of their way for their customers!!!) I drove down to Summit. I was forced to stop at 4.30am 70 miles short of my planned hotel at I was falling asleep. Got my head down for 3 hours and then up at 7. Was the 7 hour drive worth it??????????

YOU BET!

What a fantastic day!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first DE in the US and I have to say that the group of guys were so laid back and helpful it made it a pleasure to be out. (nice to meet streak and Boston!!!! They are a lot nicer in person than they are in the racing SIM!!!). Weather was also great - and have a bit of sun burn! Special thanks to Paul Bacon who took me out for two instructed runs and signed me off for white solo which I was well please with as it is only my 5th DE day ever. He even took me out with him on one of his runs and showed me how it should be done, and boy was he good~!~

Only down side was I split one of my tires and could not get a replacement for day 2!!!!!

Maybe back in May?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Glad you were able to make it and the weather was good, looks like tomorrow may be a bit raw on my weather site anyway. A bunch of us are going down on April 12-13th (Sat-Sun) with Potomac, you should come down! You must have driven down 95, it only takes me 5.5-6 hours to get there from my house.. 84 to Scranton, down 81 all the way.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:17 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Hey, stopped by to say hello at least and your car was always unattended or locked up.
I will look you up tomorrow...... weather permitting.....
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

It was nice meeting a lot of Rennlisters:
Streak, Goodhands, DanR, Nader Fotohui, Tony356993, Bull......

Great track, just hope to get 1 more day in tomorrow now that I got the rhytm down.....
Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows the track after the repaving?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I will look you up tomorrow...... weather permitting.....

Good running with you in the snow. Too bad we couldn't do it at any real speed. Hope you checked out Track Day photos, they had some nice photos of that last session before lunch.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
hows the track after the repaving?
Outstanding, from the perspective of one who knew the old pavement! The grip is good and the surface smooth in almost all places. There are some widened areas of the track that suddenly narrow back down (end abruptly with no feathering) that seem weird, but a few laps shows where those spots are.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Outstanding, from the perspective of one who knew the old pavement! The grip is good and the surface smooth in almost all places. There are some widened areas of the track that suddenly narrow back down (end abruptly with no feathering) that seem weird, but a few laps shows where those spots are.
Glad to hear it, can't wait until 4/12, hope it's nice and warm that weekend! I really enjoyed running there last year even with the bone-shaking areas.. a smooth T1, T5, and carousel will be great!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Glad to hear it, can't wait until 4/12, hope it's nice and warm that weekend! I really enjoyed running there last year even with the bone-shaking areas.. a smooth T1, T5, and carousel will be great!
You won't recognize T1 and T5 from a surface standpoint! The Carousel is smotth, but seems a bit less "banked" to me.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Good running with you in the snow. Too bad we couldn't do it at any real speed. Hope you checked out Track Day photos, they had some nice photos of that last session before lunch.
It was fun to run with you in the snow.....
Hopefully next time we meet it will be a hot dry day where we don't have to
worry about controlling our speeds due to the weather conditions.....

Congrats, you have a great track there......
Old 03-22-2008, 11:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

VaSteve, do you have a link for the track photoes?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Great first event of the season for me. Schatt is to be commended. The weather threw everything at them and the forged ahead with a mind-boggling amount of track time.

I enjoy rain sessions. They don't happen often and they are edumacational.

Last 2 sessions on Saturday we awesome. Good Hands and I ran into (not literally) another red carrera. A guy named Scott. Wow, guy was quick! Especially since he hadn't been to SP before. Kind of embarrassed me on my home track Awesome fun though having the three of us running as hard as we could in identical cars only gaining in traffic or if one made a mistake. Great stuff.

On Saturday morning we had some crazy weather. At one point I came around turn 10 to find an isolated ice pellet storm. The track literally disappeared under a blanket of white ice pellets that fell so fast that it covered the tire tracks instantly. By turn 3 it was back to rain and then back to ice.

Also, SCCA was training paramedics so they started burning tires at the same time. Unfortunately, the very very thick smoke went up and then right back down onto turn 10 from about the mid point to track out. Nuts.

Great to meet Boston and DanR. I look forward to running with you guys again soon.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Track is considerably faster than last year with the new surface, but had to find new reference points where they paved over the old ones. I only stayed for Friday as I didn't bring snow or even street tires with me, but again want to commend Schattenbaum region for having such a great event so early in the season. I even had Paolo parking next to me.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I recognized a few of the cars from Rennlist avatars, but didn't get a chance to meet all of you. It was nice running with you guys and hopefully I'll see you at future events. I'll be at Pocono with NNJR in April, then back to Summit with Potomac.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
VaSteve, do you have a link for the track photoes?

They aren't up yet but this is the guy:

http://www.racedayphoto.com/

Quick Reply: Summit Point March 21-22.........