Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 GTS Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Roger, I think I am going to set my car up for GTS4 so I can run with you guys. It is right on the border between 4 and 5 but if I add some weight then I will be good to go. Not sure I will be able to run this year but I will get everything done by the end of the year to be ready to run a full 2009 season! Hope the family is doing well
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gtschallenge
GTS has been the fstest growing amateur race series in the country. In just a few short years it has become NASA largest series with over 300 entrants nationwide.

Mark

Mark barr
GTS Challenge national Coordinator
www.gtschallenge.com
Mark,

First, it's nice to see you here on Rennlist. We have a very wide contingent of PCA Club Racers here that could serve as a real gene pool for GTS Challenge. I know I plan to dive in as soon as I get my car back from the paint shop.

I've communicated with you before about this, but what have you seen with regard to successful ways to drive participation in GTS Challenge? Are there concerns/issues with classifications of cars? Are there scheduling issues between NASA, POC, BMW CCA Club Racing and PCA Club Racing that keep racers away from a combined series like GTS Challenge? If so, how can we get the various sanctioning bodies to perhaps be a bit more thoughtful about scheduling? I would be curious to know what has worked and what has not.

From a spectator's perspective, I would think that the upper classes in GTS Challenge would be quite fun to watch - with current M3's duking it out with 996/997 Cup Cars. And watching the Spec Beamers running against the various collection of 911/944/914 racers would also be fun.

From a racer's perspective, another similar venue (with 13/13 rules to respect the vehicles) and reasonably consistent classing and rule methodologies (so we are not required to change car configurations from one event to the next) would be appealing to many who would like to run more races per year without having to trailer/tow all over the country. Who knows, maybe NASA, PCA and BMW could even figure out how to run some joint events at a few tracks (yes, scheduling and scrutineering will require some coordination, but those challenges do not seem insurmountable).

I would be curious to hear others' perspective on this and, in particular, figure out how better participation could be driven here in Texas.

Toby
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Roger, I think I am going to set my car up for GTS4 so I can run with you guys. It is right on the border between 4 and 5 but if I add some weight then I will be good to go. Not sure I will be able to run this year but I will get everything done by the end of the year to be ready to run a full 2009 season! Hope the family is doing well
Thanks Dell, but I prefer if you stay GTS5! That thing is just way too fast for 4! Or uh, maybe add 500-1000 lbs..that MIGHT even things up a bit. Seriously, if you can get that car into GTS4, you'll be going to nationals next year. Family, is doing good...how bout yours?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Mark,

First, it's nice to see you here on Rennlist. We have a very wide contingent of PCA Club Racers here that could serve as a real gene pool for GTS Challenge. I know I plan to dive in as soon as I get my car back from the paint shop.

I've communicated with you before about this, but what have you seen with regard to successful ways to drive participation in GTS Challenge? Are there concerns/issues with classifications of cars? Are there scheduling issues between NASA, POC, BMW CCA Club Racing and PCA Club Racing that keep racers away from a combined series like GTS Challenge? If so, how can we get the various sanctioning bodies to perhaps be a bit more thoughtful about scheduling? I would be curious to know what has worked and what has not.

From a spectator's perspective, I would think that the upper classes in GTS Challenge would be quite fun to watch - with current M3's duking it out with 996/997 Cup Cars. And watching the Spec Beamers running against the various collection of 911/944/914 racers would also be fun.

From a racer's perspective, another similar venue (with 13/13 rules to respect the vehicles) and reasonably consistent classing and rule methodologies (so we are not required to change car configurations from one event to the next) would be appealing to many who would like to run more races per year without having to trailer/tow all over the country. Who knows, maybe NASA, PCA and BMW could even figure out how to run some joint events at a few tracks (yes, scheduling and scrutineering will require some coordination, but those challenges do not seem insurmountable).

I would be curious to hear others' perspective on this and, in particular, figure out how better participation could be driven here in Texas.

Toby
Great comments Toby. NASA is a lot of fun to run with and the people are terrific. NASA stays pretty full as well with their run groups for races, at least in the SE anyway. If a joint event were to take place, they would have to split up the groups even more for the sprint races. There was 6 in my class alone last race I did and it seems to be growing every race. There were over 60 in the run group (thunder), so qualifying is essential. Some people don't like too many in a race, but I've found it to be a huge amount of fun and challenging as well. If you can pull off good times with that much traffic, you've made some accomplishments!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I will add what I always say, the RWHP to weight ratio makes things really easy and super competitive. Look at any of the GTS Challenge races at Mid-Ohio and you'll see just how close the times are across the spectrum of manufacturers/platforms. Much less incentive to spend an extra % 0r 10K to get that last 10 HP out of your car when you can manipulate the weight to optimize your car for its class.

My car will be on its way to Mr Dawe's shop this weekend. Fortunately, I never consummated the sale. I would have felt awful if the motor had developed a problem just after I sold it (broken rocker ((symptom)) but not due to a recent overrev ((no diagnosis yet)), not sure what's going on just want to have it gone thru as a precaution and to get ready for next season). Anyway, I seriously doubt I will be up and running for the Nationals this year so my streak as National Champ will most likely end at 1.

BTW, that Hoosier contingency kicks a$$!!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Thanks Dell, but I prefer if you stay GTS5! That thing is just way too fast for 4! Or uh, maybe add 500-1000 lbs..that MIGHT even things up a bit. Seriously, if you can get that car into GTS4, you'll be going to nationals next year. Family, is doing good...how bout yours?
Ah come on, we'll have a blast in 4! I ran with Bill Timmerman a couple weeks back at VIR (north course) and we had an absolute blast together! He runs 4 in his Synergy conversion car and we were within a second of each other lap after lap. Great time.

Family is doing excellent. Couldn't be happier except my boy just loves growing at the 90th percentile which is eating into my track budget!!!

Originally Posted by John H
I will add what I always say, the RWHP to weight ratio makes things really easy and super competitive. Look at any of the GTS Challenge races at Mid-Ohio and you'll see just how close the times are across the spectrum of manufacturers/platforms. Much less incentive to spend an extra % 0r 10K to get that last 10 HP out of your car when you can manipulate the weight to optimize your car for its class.
John, excellent point. That is one of the things that appeals to me for NASA which I am working on getting my car prepped for. Cage goes in next month!

I like that I don't have to worry about saving weight or doing this and that to be competitive. A simple formula allows me to run in a class that I know the rest of the people in it will be very similar.

With PCA (which I am still going to try) it seems to have a class structure where those of us ALREADY with a car put together will have trouble finding the proper class b/c of all the rules (I do like that they welcome rule changes). Instead, it seems that with PCA, the way to do it, is to find a class you want to run in and build a car for that class.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASA is fun. My only gripe is it being overcrowded in the MidAtl region. In Ohio region, GTS gets its own run group! But all that griping doesnt mean a thing b/c I still run them due to the awesome contingency.

Hoosier deal: You need to sign up through Hoosier before a race, have a patch sewn onto your suit and run stickers. You also need to print out the contingency form before the event so if you do place, you can have a NASA official sign off on it.

I faxed my stuff in, along w/ a copy of the results from this past weekend and within a day, Hoosier shipped out tires to me. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

CDOC: You guys prolly know Mark Francis. He rocks also. Email him w/ a pic of your car and decals, along w/ results and he applies contingency credits to an account setup for you.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked into running my Spec Boxster in the GTS2 class where should fit nicely with a 15 by their formula. Unfortunately there's only 1 other car in So Cal running that class. We have ample races here with POC for Porsche only competition so I thought it would be interesting to run with other marquees. Oh well, maybe next year....
Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Ah come on, we'll have a blast in 4! I ran with Bill Timmerman a couple weeks back at VIR (north course) and we had an absolute blast together! He runs 4 in his Synergy conversion car and we were within a second of each other lap after lap. Great time.

With PCA (which I am still going to try) it seems to have a class structure where those of us ALREADY with a car put together will have trouble finding the proper class b/c of all the rules (I do like that they welcome rule changes). Instead, it seems that with PCA, the way to do it, is to find a class you want to run in and build a car for that class.
It will be fun running together. I don't think my car is capable of running what you do at CMP. But, that's why it is a competition.

It's a really cool way to look at things building your GT3. Heck you can leave in the AC compressor, interior everything. What is it weighing now and how much HP at the rears?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Rog, I have no idea what it runs on the dyno but I am dying to find out. The "book" hp is 380 but that could me a host of things, right? Only way to find out is to get is dyno'd. Last time on the scales it was 3027 with no driver or fuel. The interior is coming out but a full cage is going in. Other than that, not much else is going to change on the car.

When was the last time you ran CMP? What times where you running? (new layout right?)
Old 06-28-2008, 08:31 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Rog, I have no idea what it runs on the dyno but I am dying to find out. The "book" hp is 380 but that could me a host of things, right? Only way to find out is to get is dyno'd. Last time on the scales it was 3027 with no driver or fuel. The interior is coming out but a full cage is going in. Other than that, not much else is going to change on the car.

When was the last time you ran CMP? What times where you running? (new layout right?)
You're prob hitting 345-350 or so at the rears...assuming you've done exhaust mods, cold air etc. What you lose in interior, you'll gain most back in cage installation. My best time so far is a 46 at CMP, so I've got some work to do. I think the car can do 41's with slicks..good lap on good day. You're hitting that pretty regular. Last race I think top guys in 4 were hitting 43's. (traffic, etc.)

Really smart idea for a GT3 in this class. I think it's a def torque, hp and transmission advantage. You'll fit in no problem with those numbers. Only drawback is running it in PCA.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You ain't kidding! PCA is, like I said earlier, a "pick a class first then build the car" type series.

FYI....no exhaust mods (unless bypass pipes count), no CAI, no nothing

If you want some help next time we are both down at CMP let me know. Only way to find out where to find those seconds is to see them from another set of eyes. If you have any vids I'd be happy to check them out.

I'll email you offline......
Old 06-28-2008, 08:41 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

You ain't kidding! PCA is, like I said earlier, a "pick a class first then build the car" type series.

FYI....no exhaust mods (unless bypass pipes count), no CAI, no nothing

If you want some help next time we are both down at CMP let me know. Only way to find out where to find those seconds is to see them from another set of eyes. If you have any vids I'd be happy to check them out.

I'll email you offline......
Cool, can always use some help. Kink still scares the crap out of me. Since I got the weight out, the front really like to "hop" through there. I'm going to be there on the 11th weekend for the race and probably do Friday's event to practice.

With no power mods, you'll probably be able to run slicks, depending on where your weight winds up. That thing is going to be a beast. I look forward to your email. Rog
Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

...John, excellent point. That is one of the things that appeals to me for NASA which I am working on getting my car prepped for. Cage goes in next month!

I like that I don't have to worry about saving weight or doing this and that to be competitive. A simple formula allows me to run in a class that I know the rest of the people in it will be very similar.

Dell-

Where are you getting your cage fabricated?

I'm thinking of getting a welded in cage instead of a bolt on ...
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Dell-

Where are you getting your cage fabricated?

I'm thinking of getting a welded in cage instead of a bolt on ...
Willing to come up to Northern VA? If so Piper Motorsports does a wonderful job, and theyve done several 944s. I just had them do a full cage in my 924S. www.pipermotorsports.com

Quick Reply: 2008 GTS Challenge